London club, Crystal Palace, have become the first Premier League club to distance themselves from the Black Lives Matter (BLM) UK movement amid controversy being generated by the UK arm of the movement.
Recently, there has been a growing backlash against the aims of the movement ever since the movement gained more popularity following the death of George Floyd.
This week BLM was accused of “spreading hate” after pledging support for Palestine amid Israel’s plans to annex the West Bank.
The BLM banner has been on display at Selhurst Park during Premier League games and while Crystal Palace insisted they back the “ethos” of the cause, they have issued a statement urging people to adopt the anti-discrimination message and not the wider demands of the movement.
Even the BBC has reportedly told presenters not to wear the badge after the campaign was accused of “hijacking” George Floyd’s death for its own selfish political reasons.
In a statement today, Palace said:
“As people will have seen from our first home game, we have placed banners over our seated areas at Selhurst Park that read: BLACK LIVES MATTER.
“We stand proudly alongside members of the BAME community, our players and employees, and behind the ideals and ethos of ‘black lives matter.’
“However, we would like to make clear that we do not endorse any pressure group or body that carries the same term in its name, and we strongly believe that organisations should not use this important force for change and positivity to push their own political agendas.
“We want to be part of a world that is fair, inclusive and open to all.
“As an organisation, we recognise that we need to do more, and we will do more to contribute towards this goal.”
Police arrest NFL Star, Derrius Guice, over domestic violence
Police in Virginia on Friday, August 7 have arrested NFL star identified as Derrius Guice on charges stemming from “three domestic-related incidents”.
According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, the 23-year-old running back was taken into custody on Friday on multiple charges, including one count of felony strangulation.
Guice faces one count of strangulation, three counts of assault and battery, and one count destruction of property, a spokesman for the Loudon County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia said in an email.
Sheriff’s office director of media relations and communications Kraig Troxell said that the incidents happened in February, March, and April at Guice’s home in Ashburn, Virginia and the sheriff’s office was made aware of the allegations on July 22.
Police said the incidents were first reported to the Montgomery County Police Department in Maryland where the victim lives.
The allegations were investigated by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Domestic Violence Unit in coordination with the Montgomery County Police Department.
Guice has since been released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.
In response to his arrest, Washington’s NFL team have released the running back.
They issued a statement saying,
“On Thursday we learned of a potential domestic violence-related incident involving RB Derrius Guice.”
“We immediately alerted the National Football League and have continued to work with them during this process.”
“We then met with Derrius to inform him that he was excused from all team activity pending a review of the matter.”
“This afternoon we learned that there were multiple charges filed against Derrius.”
“Upon review of the nature of these charges ad following internal discussions, we have decided to release Derrius immediately.”
Guice was drafted by Washington in 2018.
JUST IN: Juventus FC sack coach Maurizio Sarri after Champions League exit
Serie A champions Juventus have sacked coach Maurizio Sarri after one season following their Champions League exit on Friday night, Italian media reported.
Corriere dello Sport and Sky said the 61-year-old had been fired.
“Maurizio Sarri has been fired, it’s all but official,” the Gazzetta dello Sport wrote on its website.
Juventus won Serie A for the ninth season in a row last month but were knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 on Friday, losing on away goals despite a 2-1 win over Olympique Lyonnais in the second leg.
Champions League: Chelsea’s squad to face Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena
Chelsea have announced their squad to face Bayern Munich in today’s Champions League round of 16 second-leg tie at Allianz Arena.
According to Evening Standard, Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has released a full squad of 23 players to tackle the Bundesliga champions.
Lampard’s side lost to Bayern 3-0 few months before the COVID-19 break.
The Blues head to the game after losing the FA Cup final to Arsenal on August 1.
Recall that Lampard will be without three key players, Christian Pulisic, Pedro and captain Cesar Azpilicueta.
Also, Willian, who is on the verge of joining Arsenal, remains sidelined after missing Chelsea’s FA Cup final 2-1 defeat to the Gunners on August 1.
Below is Chelsea’s squad against Bayern:
Kepa Arrizabalaga, Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, N’Golo Kante, Ross Barkley, Tammy Abraham, Willy Caballero, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Kurt Zouma, Mateo Kovacic, Olivier Giroud, Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Michy Batshuayi, Reece James, Fikayo Tomori, Jamie Cumming, Emerson Palmieri, Lewis Bate, Dynel Simeu, Henry Lawrence, Ian Maatsen, Armando Broja.
The kick-off time for the match is 8 pm.
Expert urges shipowners to negotiate with AMCON to forestall foreclosure
Edo 2020: Oba of Benin calls for peaceful campaigns, election
ExxonMobil Nigeria gets new chief executive
Rotary organizes free hepatitis, liver screening for Abuja community
PDP State Congress: Smooth sail for all contestants in Bauchi
NNPC, partners resolve OML 130 dispute
Cars destroyed as fire guts mechanic shop in Delta (photos)
Buhari Felicitates with Ngige at 68
Sudan to ban female genital mutilation, allow non-Muslims to consume alcohol
Nigerian man, used as ‘human collateral’ to Pakistani drug gang, speaks [Video]
River State fishermen celebrate as they capture large sea cow (Video)
SHOCKING! Prophetess Mary Olubori sells her saliva to members for N550k
Police open recruitment portal [See Application Guidelines]
Lady gifts her husband expensive car to appreciate him (Photos)
Lady converts car tyres to beautiful centre tables (Photos)
Man plans with SARS officers to arrest his girlfriend so he can propose to her (Video)
Nigerian Medical Association election turns violent in Enugu
Lady rejects boyfriend’s marriage proposal, insists he must kneel before she accepts the ring (Video)
Protesters deliver #RevolutionNow message despite Police assault
Mother protects daughters’ alleged rapist from arrest (Video)
VIDEO: Sanwo-Olu, I want justice for my daughter, safety for Nigerians – Mom of lady crushed by fallen container in Lagos
Oshiomhole buys roasted corn by the roadside, eats it in public as people hail him (Video)
Oshiomhole begs God to sack Obaseki, holds prayer session (Video)
Lady humiliates boyfriend after seeing him in hotel with her friend (Video)
Sports2 days ago
Man United flop, Alexis Sanchez, joins Inter Milan
Politics2 days ago
Buhari’s aide, Femi Adesina, mocks #RevolutionNow protests, calls it ‘Child’s Play’
Sports2 days ago
Willian to join Arsenal on three-year, £100k-a-week deal
Sports2 days ago
Beirut explosion: I thought I would die, says Nigerian footballer
Metro2 days ago
Police rescue abandoned baby girl from Anambra bush
Coronavirus1 day ago
Africa’s COVID-19 cases now over 1 million
Crime2 days ago
21-year-old arrested for allegedly sodomizing underaged boys in Anambra
Entertainment2 days ago
BBNaija: Erica ends relationship with Kiddwaya, says she doesn’t want boy drama