Connect with us

Sports

Christian Eriksen joins Inter Milan, Spurs announce replacement

Published

Christian Eriksen

Inter Milan has announced the signing of Christian Eriksen in a £16.9 million move from Tottenham.

Eriksen has signed a four-and-a-half year contract at the San Siro in a deal which includes Inter paying a £843,000 (€1m) sell-on clause to the Dane’s former club Ajax and Spurs pocketing the proceeds of a friendly game with the Milan club in the future.

The 27-year-old flew into Milan from London on Monday morning after weeks of negotiations between the clubs, with Spurs chairman Daniel Levy refusing to budge from his €20m (£16.8m) request, despite the risk of losing the Denmark international for free upon his contract expiry in the summer.

MORE READING!  Pochettino’s 19-year-old son signs new deal at Tottenham

Eriksen was greeted by jubilant Inter fans at the Humanitas clinic in Rozzano, where he underwent his medical before penning his £130k-per-week deal, keeping him at the San Siro until June 2024.

He becomes the fifth EPL player after Romelu Lukaku, Alexis Sanchez, Ashley Young, and Victor Moses to be signed by Inter since Antonio Conte became the manager of the Serie A side.

Barcelona made an enquiry for Eriksen on Thursday last week but failed to follow up with an offer.

He leaves Spurs after a six-and-a-half year spell in north London, making 305 appearances, scoring 69 goals and providing 89 assists.

“I couldn’t wait to get here,” he told Inter TV. “It’s amazing to be here, I want the fans to know who I am, I already had the chance to feel their warmth, they gave me a fantastic welcome.

Spurs wasted no time in announcing Eriksen’s replacement – Giovani Lo Celso, put pen to paper to make his loan move permanent from Real Betis for £27 million.

MORE READING!  Osimhen wins Marc-Vivien Foe Prize, beats Moses Simon 

The Argentine midfielder signed a five-and-a-half year contract with the Spurs to keep him at north London through to June 2025.

READ ALSO: Fans fume as Solskjaer says United will not sign Fernandes but Sanchez will return to prove doubters wrong [Video]

The 23-year-old, seen as the permanent replacement for Eriksen, arrived in August on a one-year loan from Real Betis with Spurs having an option to buy for £27m in January or £34m in the summer.

“It’s not an obligation, it’s an option. I think the boy is earning the decision. He’s making an easy decision for the club to execute the option,” Mourinho said of Lo Celso, who joined on a season-long loan from Real Betis.

Sports

Arsenal vs Norwich City: Arteta singles out two players after 4-0 win

Published

on

 

Arsenal boss, Mikel Arteta, has singled out Dani Ceballos and Cedric Soares for praise following his side’s Premier League 4-0 victory against Norwich City on Wednesday night.

According to Arteta, Ceballos gave the Gunners continuity to play without the ball, while Cedric brought a lot of positivity in his team.

MORE READING!  Inter Milan to extend Victor Moses’ loan deal

Arsenal defeated Norwich at the Emirates Stadium, thanks to goals from Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang (2), Granit Xhaka (1), and Cedric Soares (1).

“I really like Dani. He has a big personality to play and gives us the continuity to play without the ball too. He’s improved so much,” Arteta was quoted by Football London as saying at his post-match press conference.

He added: “I’m so happy for the boy [Cedric]. He’s brought a lot of positivity even with the difficulties he’s had.”

MORE READING!  Man City: Guardiola says players will give Liverpool guard of honour

Arsenal’s next match is against Wolves on Saturday.

Continue Reading

Sports

South Africa to stage unique three-team cricket fixture July 18

Published

on

Cricket South Africa (CSA) will finally get to try a new format that will see three teams compete in a single 36-over match on July 18.

This has come after it won government approval for the fixture to be played at SuperSport Park in Pretoria.

CSA had to postpone the match from its original date of June 27 as the government had not provided the necessary approval for training and match-day protocols.

However, the players returned to the nets on Monday and the game will now be staged on the 102nd anniversary of the birth of former president Nelson Mandela.

“I can’t think of a more appropriate day on which to hold this game than Nelson Mandela Day when its prime objective is to raise funds for those who have been badly affected by the coronavirus,” CSA Acting Chief Executive Jacques Faul said in a statement on Wednesday.

AB de Villiers, Quinton de Kock and Kagiso Rabada will lead three teams of eight batting for a total of 12 overs, six per innings, during which time they will face both opponents.

MORE READING!  Osimhen wins Marc-Vivien Foe Prize, beats Moses Simon 

At the fall of the seventh wicket, the last remaining batsman can carry on but only score in even numbers —- twos, four or a six.

The team with the highest aggregate total at the end will be declared the winners.

The fixture is a chance for the country’s leading players to get some game-time under their belts in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic, but will also raise funds for charity.

MORE READING!  FA Cup: Ceballos stoppage-time strike sends Arsenal into semis

South Africa is still seeing a steady rise in COVID-19 cases, with the province of Gauteng, where the fixture is to be played, reporting a sharp increase in the past week.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

Sports

Remain humble and ambitious, Sunday Oliseh advises Victor Osimhen after successful season

Published

on

Former Super Eagles coach, Sunday Oliseh has advised Lille striker, Victor Osimhen, to remain humble after his successful season in France.

Osimhen recently won the Marc Vivien Foe award for best African player in League One, and Napoli also confirmed they have agreed to sign the striker in a mouth-watering deal.

Osimhen won the Marc Vivien Foe award after his incredible debut season in Ligue 1, where he provided 13 goals and four assists in 27 appearances. He is now the second Nigerian player, after goalkeeper Vincent Enyeama who also played at Lille, to clinch the award.

Congratulating the striker on his success, Oliseh praised Osimhen’s hard work but warned him to remain humble.

“First of all, I would like to congratulate Victor Osimhen for being elected winner of the Marc-Vivien Foe Prize. This trophy is important since it rewards the best African player in the French Championship. It is important for us Africans,” Oliseh told RFI .

“I find his victory even more surprising when we see the competitors that Victor had to surpass to win this title. Many people will wonder if he deserves it, if he is stronger than these players.

“But what Victor has done this season is truly exceptional. Thanks to him, his team managed to make a magnificent season.

“I think Victor frankly deserves it because he brought a lot to his club. We really saw the difference when Victor was on the field and when he was not. We see the possibilities he offers his teammates to go forward. We also see the weight it places on the enemy’s defences.

“Frankly, congratulations Victor! You deserve it. But I advise you my little brother to always remain humble and ambitious at the same time.

“Stay professional and good luck. Congratulations again, little brother!”

“When I was coach, I was trying to assemble a new team. In fact, the bases of the current national team are made up of players that I put together. For me, it was important to have young people of the future who were hungry for national team matches.”

“Victor Osimhen was playing at the U17 World Cup at the time. I had watched the meetings with my assistants, including the final won by Nigeria. He had done it with such ease, the way he eliminated his opponents.

“We had planned to invite him to the national team but I left the selection. Otherwise, I would have invited him.

“Because, since Rashidi Yekini left the selection, we have not had a player of the calibre of Victor Osimhen. My plan was to integrate him very slowly into the Super Eagles, to give him a few minutes, before launching him 100% as we did with Wilfred Ndidi or Alex Iwobi at the time.”

 

MORE READING!  COVID-19: 2021 Access Bank Lagos City Marathon not under threat yet – Thomas
Continue Reading




Trending