Connect with us

General

Europe urges Trump to reconsider decision to withdraw from WHO

Published

European leaders called on U.S. President Donald Trump on Saturday to rethink his decision to terminate the U.S.’ relationship with the World Health Organisation (WHO) in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic.

Trump announced the decision on Friday, arguing the UN agency has failed to respond to U.S. concerns about its handling of the virus, which originated in China.

A spokesperson said the WHO, the founders of which include the U.S., had no comment to make on Saturday.

MORE READING!  Indonesia imposes 10% VAT on Amazon, Google, Netflix, Spotify

The European Commission was more vocal. Commission President Ursula von der Leyen called on Trump to reconsider, saying only global cooperation and solidarity could help to combat the virus.

Global cooperation is needed rather than solo efforts, German Foreign Minister Heiko Maas told newspapers belonging to the Funke media group.

He and Development Minister Gerd Mueller both called Trump’s move the “wrong signal at the wrong time.”

MORE READING!  Banditry: Army donates rice, cooking oil to victims in Zamfara

These concerns were echoed in Sweden, where a cabinet member said the move could lead to significantly more deaths.

“I think it’s very serious. It risks creating a situation where the WHO must cut down on operations that support poor countries instead of scaling them up,” Peter Eriksson, minister for international development cooperation, told Swedish broadcaster SVT.

Eriksson said he also feared that other countries might follow the U.S.’ decision. Last week, Trump said he would pull the plug on U.S. contributions to the WHO – which he said was between 400 million and 500 million dollars a year – if the organization did not make improvements within 30 days.

MORE READING!  WHO to begin study on origin of COVID-19

The U.S. leads the world in the number of COVID-19 deaths and Trump’s response to the pandemic has been widely criticized.

General

How a lady’s comment on social media crashed her wedding

Published

on

A young man has taken to twitter to share a disheartening story of how a lady’s comment on social media crashed her wedding.

According to the twitter user identified as Gospel Josiah,  a bride-to-be’s marriage crashed after she commented on a post on Facebook.

The post read

‘ Will you cheat on your husband if offered 10 million naira?’

The bride according to her jokingly commented that 10 million naira was too much as she would do it for 200k.

MORE READING!  Indonesia imposes 10% VAT on Amazon, Google, Netflix, Spotify

READ ALSO: I enjoyed it when Diamond Platinumz beat me, actress Wema Sepetu reveals

Read details below;

Continue Reading

General

WHO set to begin study on origin of Covid-19

Published

on

The World Health Organisation (WHO) says its experts will travel to China to work together with their Chinese counterparts to prepare scientific plans for identifying the zoonotic source of the coronavirus (COVID-19).

WHO, in a statement posted on its website, said the experts would develop the scope and Term of Reference (TOR) for a WHO-led international mission.

“Identifying the origin of emerging viral disease has proven complex in past epidemics in different countries.

“A well-planned series of scientific researches will advance the understanding of animal reservoirs and the route of transmission to humans.

“The process is an evolving endeavour which may lead to further international scientific research and collaboration globally,’’ it said.

 

MORE READING!  FG to resume Third Mainland Bridge repairs

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

Covid-19: Nigerian students will not be writing WAEC anytime soon- Minister

Published

on

WAEC Candidates

The Nigerian government has announced that Nigerian students will not be participating in the forthcoming West African Examination Council (WAEC) examinations due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu made the announcement after the virtual Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting on Wednesday, July 8.

The Minister who also disclosed that there is no date yet for school resumption added that he will prefer Nigerian students lose an academic year than expose them to danger.

“Schools under the supervision of the Federal Ministry of Education will not reopen on August 4th or any time soon. Our schools will only open when we believe it is safe for our children and that is when the situation is right, not when the number of COVID-19 infection is going up in the nation. So, I just want to make that clear,” Mr Adamu said.

He said the government will not reopen schools now for examinations or any other reason “unless it is safe for our students because WAEC cannot determine for us what we do so schools will remain closed.”

“Yesterday we called a meeting of stakeholders to tell us their situation and what needs to be done in order to reopen schools but while the meeting was going on, WAEC announced that they will start exams so let’s see who they are going to start with,” he said.

The minister appealed to schools that have already reopened to rescind their positions.

MORE READING!  Banditry: Army donates rice, cooking oil to victims in Zamfara

 

Continue Reading




Trending