Connect with us

Politics

Fayose begs aggrieved PDP members for forgiveness

Published

Ayodele Fayose

Former governor of Ekiti State, Ayodele Fayose, on Tuesday urged members of the state chapter of the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) who may be aggrieved by any of his actions in the past to forgive him.

Fayose, who spoke at his Afao Ekiti country home at a peace meeting he convened with party members across the 16 local governments, urged them to put the past behind them.

He apologised to all aggrieved members who he said he might have wronged while in government.

According to him, the PDP must be repositioned ahead of future elections in the state and nothing should be too much a sacrifice for anyone to make.

” We are on a mission to reposition the party because truly we need a new attitude as members of this party

” We must tell ourselves the truth that there is nothing to share in failure and we must join hands to achieve something tangible

” I know some persons are aggrieved and I know we are humans. I apologise to all those that I have offended

” Let us come together in unity for this our party not to die in this state. That is my priority as the leader

” I am doing this after one year of leaving office just to allow the present All Progressives Congress (APC) to display what they have for the people and you can all see for yourselves

” I am not here for my selfish interest but just to ensure this party does not fail,” Fayose said.

The former governor, who used the meeting to officially congratulate Sen. Biodun Olujimi, on her recent victory as the lawmaker representing Ekiti South Senatorial District, noted that she remained a leader of the party in the state.

” Everybody should come back to the party. I am open to reconciliation

” If Sen. Biodun Olujimi calls you for meeting tomorrow, go there and listen to her. All of us are leaders, don’t let us factionalise this party

” I am congratulating her (Olujimi) and I don’t have any issue with her and I am sorry for what happened in the past,” he said.

(NAN)

MORE READING!  APC wins Nasarawa Central state constituency bye-election

Politics

Police vow to bring killers of Gov. Obiano’s aide to book

Published

on

The Assistant Inspector-General of Police  (AIG) in charge of Zone 13, AIG Danmallam Mohammed, has vowed to bring killers of the Senior Special Assistant to Gov. Willie Obiano on Security, late Azubuike Ekwegwalu, to book. 
Mohammed, who made the pledge on Monday in an interview with newsmen in his office at Ukpo near Awka, described the incident as “sad and most unfortunate.”
The AIG said he had directed the Anambra Police Commissioner, CP  John Abang to commence an investigation to unravel the circumstances surrounding the incident.
“I am sure that the commissioner of police will intensify intelligence to track down the criminals and make sure that they are brought to book.
“The people of the state should not express fear or have sleepless nights over the development.
“They should know that in larger societies like this, there are pockets of crimes,” he said.
The AIG assured the people, especially family members of the deceased, that the culprits would be apprehended, no matter how highly placed they were.
He also expressed concerns over the increasing wave of cultism in the state, warning cultists to denounce their membership or face the wrath of the law.
The Newsmen recalls that Ekwegbalu, 43, was allegedly stabbed to death with a kitchen knife at his residence in the  Commissioners’ Quarters, Awka, by unknown assailants on Sunday.
The Police Command’s Spokesman in the state, SP Haruna Mohammed already said a suspect seen within the premises around 1:30 a.m. on a fateful day had been arrested for further investigations.
MORE READING!  Aisha Buhari not sick - Aide
Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Lebanon’s government resigns over Beirut blast

Published

on

Lebanon

Lebanon’s government resigned Monday as the fallout from last week’s deadly explosion deepened a political crisis in the country’s blast-ravaged capital.

Prime Minister Hassan Diab said he would resign alongside all of his ministers.

“We will back down and stand with the people. We need to open the door for the people,” he said in an address to the nation.

The move comes after enraged protesters and world leaders alike demanded political reform following the Aug. 4 blast that killed almost 160 people and injured thousands more.

Protesters took to the streets of Beirut again Sunday with a video showing what appeared to be tear gas canisters being fired at demonstrators who had congregated in a street near the parliament.

MORE READING!  God will determine my successor in 2023 - Umahi

Last week’s blast, which sent a mushroom-like cloud into the sky above Beirut’s port, dealt a blow to a country already on its knees.

Nearly a week since the devastating explosion, public anger shows no signs of abating.

The blast was triggered when a warehouse fire ignited hundreds of tons of ammonium nitrate, according to Diab.

It sent a shock wave that scarred the coastline of Beirut, destroying hundreds of buildings and leaving many homeless.

The protesters blame the ruling elite for chronic mismanagement and corruption that is believed to be behind the explosion and the country’s broader issues.

“You literally blew us up. We have nothing left to lose,” a group of protesters screamed at a demonstration on Saturday.

The scenes of public fury came as world leaders pledged millions in emergency aid to the country’s explosion-ravaged capital in a teleconference co-organized by France and the United Nations.

MORE READING!  Two killed as Ekiti monarch moves to enforce ban on festival

President Donald Trump was among the participants, as well as leaders from Gulf Arab states, China and the European Union.

“The international community, Lebanon’s closest friends and partners, will not let Lebanese people down,” the chair of the conference said in a concluding statement on Sunday, according to the French mission to the U.N.

The participants agreed to help meet the immediate needs of Beirut and the Lebanese people through emergency assistance programs and agreed it would be “directly delivered to the Lebanese population.”

MORE READING!  Ikpeazu sues for hitch free exercise as PDP holds congress

They warned that any support of the economic and financial recovery of the country would be contingent on Lebanese authorities committing to economic and political reforms demanded by the Lebanese people, according to the statement.

The government’s resignation, however, is not a panacea for Lebanon’s problems.

The country is facing its worst economic crisis in its modern history and is afflicted by skyrocketing unemployment, rising prices and a plummeting Lebanese pound. Hunger is spreading throughout the country of 6.8 million people.

 

NBC

Continue Reading

Politics

Ondo 2020: Akeredolu blasts Mimiko for abandoning projects

Published

on

Akeredolu, Mimiko

For the first time in his over three years stay in office, Ondo State Governor, Oluwarotimi Akeredolu, Monday, came hard on his predecessor, Dr Olusegun Mimiko.

Governor Akeredolu said his predecessor abandoned projects begun by late Olusegun Agagu.

Akeredolu said the Ondo seaport project envisioned by late Agagu was abandoned by Mimiko.

He said the seaport would have become a reality if Mimiko had continued with the vision.

The Ondo Governor said Mimiko also abandoned the Olusegun Agagu University of Science and Technology, Okitipupa as well as left six months unpaid salaries.

Governor Akeredolu said he would defeat all candidates from other political parties in the October 10 governorship election.

MORE READING!  PDP State Congress: Smooth sail for all contestants in Bauchi

Akeredolu who spoke during the flag-off of distribution of palliatives donated by the Coalition Against COVID-19 (CACOVID) promised to complete the seaport project before the end of his second term.

He said over 200,000 households have received palliatives since the COVID-19 outbreak.

Akeredolu stated that apart from the most vulnerable that got palliatives, patients in the hospitals; the sick, pregnant, and women and nursing mothers also received palliatives.

He said the items donated by CA-COVID would get to 50,000 households.

His words:

“We have been forced by COVID-19 outbreak to review downward our budget just like every other State and the Federal Government, but nevertheless God Almighty has made it possible for us to continue to pay salaries and the implementation of our various shining across the State.

“Let us not be in doubt that a new foundation has been laid for Ondo while the sun is shinning. Port Ondo is on the way. By the grace of God, I will complete it.

“If previous government had shown concern, we would have had a seaport. Agagu started it but we had a government that abandoned it.

“That government abandoned OAUSTEC. Come on Saturday and see the wonderful work we are doing there.

“We have been in the office for about 42 months and have paid salaries and allowances for 48 months. The six months extra being the carry-over debt from the immediate past administration, despite our lean purse since we took over.”

Chairman of Ondo COVID-19 Palliatives Committee, Pastor Akin Olotu, said individuals that did not benefit from the other phases of distribution would be reached out to.

MORE READING!  Two killed as Ekiti monarch moves to enforce ban on festival

Spokesman of Mimiko, John Paul Akinduro, did not pick calls to his phone.

Continue Reading




Trending