A federal grand jury indictment unsealed Thursday charged 80 people, most of whom are Nigerian nationals, with participating in a massive conspiracy to steal millions of dollars through a variety of fraud schemes and launder the funds through a Los Angeles-based money laundering network, the Department of Justice announced.
The indictment was unsealed after the FBI conducted a series of raids Thursday morning and arrested 14 defendants across the United States, with 11 of those arrests taking place in the Los Angeles region. Two defendants were already in federal custody on other charges, and one was arrested earlier this week. The remaining defendants are believed to be abroad, with most them located in Nigeria.
US attorney, Nick Hanna, stated this in a press statement released in Los Angeles, California on Thursday.
Hanna said the fraud cases involved suspects colluding with federal and state agents, to dupe unsuspecting victims of their money.
He said a total of 80 suspects “many of whom are from Nigeria”, have been arrested and charged to court with 57 more being hunted globally.
“FBI agents along with federal and state law enforcement authorities arrested a total of 14 defendants in the US, all named in a sweeping fraud and money laundering case.
“Those arrested today are among 80 defendants charged in a federal grand jury indictment that alleges that millions of dollars were taken from victims through a variety of scams and online frauds.
“We believe this is one of the largest cases of its kind in US history. BEC scam is used to hack email accounts to convince businesses or individuals to make payments that are either completely bogus or that should have been otherwise paid to legitimate companies.
“Indictments showed very specific allegations against this suspects many of whom are based in Nigeria in terms of stealing money from victims. The indictment also focuses on those responsible for enabling these fraud schemes including operatives in Los Angeles,” Hanna said.
He added that a total of 252 count charges ranging from “conspiracy to defraud, conspiracy to commit money laundering, aggravated identity theft” have been filed against the suspects.
According to the indictment, the individuals charged used various online fraud schemes – including business email compromise (BEC) frauds, romance scams, and schemes targeting the elderly – to defraud victims out of millions of dollars.
According to a criminal complaint also unsealed Thursday, co-conspirators based in Nigeria, the United States and other countries contacted the lead defendants in the indictment – Valentine Iro, 31, of Carson, and Chukwudi Christogunus Igbokwe, 38, of Gardena, both Nigerian citizens – for bank and money-service accounts that could receive funds fraudulently obtained from victims. Once members of the conspiracy convinced victims to send money under false pretenses, Iro and Igbokwe coordinated the receipt of funds and oversaw an extensive money-laundering network, according to the 145-page indictment.
The indictment and criminal complaint allege that Iro and Igbokwe, who were among those arrested Thursday morning, were involved in schemes resulting in the fraudulent transfer of at least $6 million in fraudulently-obtained funds – and the overall conspiracy was responsible for the attempted theft of at least an additional $40 million.
The individuals named in the indictment targeted victims in the United States and across the globe, including individuals, small and large businesses, and law firms, the FBI said. Some of the victims of the conspiracy lost hundreds of thousands of dollars to fraud schemes, and many were elderly.
Each of the 80 defendants named in the indictment is charged with conspiracy to commit fraud, conspiracy to launder money, and aggravated identity theft. A number of the defendants also face substantive fraud and money laundering charges.
Additionally, Iro, Igbokwe, and five other defendants –Jerry Ikogho, 50, of Carson, Adegoke Moses Ogungbe, 34, of Fontana, Izuchukwu Kingsley Umejesi, 30, of Los Angeles, Tityaye Marina Mansbangura, 33, of Palmdale, and Obi Madekwe, 31, of Nigeria – are charged with operating illegal money transmitting businesses. Ogungbe and Mansbangura were also among those arrested this morning, and Umejesi is a fugitive currently being sought by authorities.
U.S. Attorney Nick Hanna held news conference to announce the domestic arrests and the unsealing of the federal indictment charging the 80 defendants. Also on hand were officials from the FBI, the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department and the Los Angeles County District Attorney’s office.
Rivers: Woman, 40, remanded for allegedly killing husband
In Port Harcourt, a Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting on Thursday remanded a 40-year-old woman identified as Telma Bestman for allegedly murdering her husband Mr Wagbara Bestman.
The suspect, it was learnt conspired with others now at large to kill the husband with a gun following disagreements between them.
It was gathered that the suspect and her accomplices who are still at large attacked the victim at their residence at 15 Chiwota Street, Rumuolumeni town in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State on February 13, 2020.
The suspect a mother of four children is facing two counts bothering on murder.
The prosecutor, A. C Kennedy, told the Court that the offence of the accused is punishable under sections 324 and 319 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37 Vol. II, Laws Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999.
The Chief Magistrate, Ipalibo Iyiabo, transferred the case file to the Director, Public Prosecutions for advice.
Iyiabo, however, remanded the accused at the Nigerian Correctional Service facility and adjourned the matter to August 3, 2020, for mention.
Gunmen kidnap nine travellers in Ondo, demand N100million ransom
No fewer than nine people have been reportedly abducted by some gunmen, suspected to be herdsmen at Isua Akoko, the headquarters of the Akoko South-East Local Government Area of Ondo on Friday evening.
The victims were said to be traveling in a Toyota Sienna bus from Abuja heading towards Lagos State before they were kidnapped.
However, the details about their abduction were still sketchy as at the time of filing this report on Friday.
A source said the kidnappers have contacted the family of one of the victims and demanded a sum of N100m ransom.
The Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Tee-Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the incident said one of the victims had been rescued.
He said, ” Efforts are on to ensure the release of other victims. Our men are working with hunters, local vigilante, and other agencies to get then released unhurt.”
Man, 41 allegedly defiles own three-year-old daughter in Ibadan
A forty-one-year-old man, Effiom Etowa, who allegedly defiled his 3-year old daughter, was remanded in the custody of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, by an Ibadan Chief Magistrates’ Court on Friday.
Etowa, who lives in Tinuoye Estate, Ojoo, in Ibadan, is standing trial on a count charge of defilement.
Chief Magistrate Taiwo Oladiran, who did not take the plea of Etowa, ordered that he should be remanded in NSCDC custody in Ibadan.
Oladiran said, “Etowa cannot be admitted at the Correctional Centre, Agodi, Ibadan, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Etowa is hereby remanded at the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Headquarter, Ibadan, pending an advice from the Oyo State Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).”
Oladiran, however, adjourned the case until 16 July for hearing.
Earlier, ASP Sunday Ogunremi, the Prosecution Counsel, told the court that Etowa committed the offence on 15 June at Ibadan.
According to Ogunremi, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 387 Criminal Law of Oyo State, 2000.
(JUST IN) Edo 2020: Wike to head PDP’s campaign
Social distancing breached at Ondo commissioner’s burial who died from COVID-19 (photos)
Kaduna completes the first phase of an ultra-modern market
COVID-19: Edo discharges 80 more patients
Alleged rape saga: Segalink releases final statement, says D’banj’s accuser, Seyitan is not interested in legal battle
JUST IN: AbdulRazaq reshuffles cabinet
JUST IN: Fire guts CBN branch in Gombe
NIS arrests kidnap suspect, murderer in Oyo
Lady calls men out for not being lover boys
Married man collapses after sex romp with married woman (Video)
Video: I almost committed suicide, says Babcock student accused of raping 24 girls and his cousin
George Floyd: D.C Mayor has massive ‘Black Lives Matter’ mural painted on street leading to the White House
White teens start ‘George Floyd challenge’ mocking his death
#JusticeForUwa: Victim’s father reveals she kept crying even in coma
JUST IN: Nigeria records 315 new COVID-19 cases, total infections now 12,801
Mother in tears as her daughter, 4, narrates how she was raped by school teacher (video)
Miami Airport: White Maimi police officer caught on camera punching black woman (video)
Video: Members protest as they demand release of their leader El-ZakZaky (photos)
Regina Daniels set to release documentary video of her pregnancy and birth ( Watch trailer)
Watch how Tampa police officers forcibly separate children from their mother (video)
Funke Akindele called out by former staff over alleged physical, emotional, financial abuse (video)
UN reacts to viral video of staff having s3x in public, inside official car
Nigerians attack fake immigration officers terrorising them in Indonesia (video)
Lady reveals how Rats almost caused gas explosion in her house (video)
News2 days ago
Ondo election: We will not register new voters- INEC
General1 day ago
Covid-19: Enugu records 66 new cases
General3 days ago
[email protected] star wanted by police after filming s3x scene on bus without face mask
General3 days ago
I haven’t had my bath nor had s3x with my wife for 20 solid years, Ibadan prophet reveals
Nigeria Update3 days ago
How I contracted COVID-19 – Gov Akeredolu (Video)
Politics3 days ago
Nigerians were forced to accept coronavirus – Governor Yahaya Bello
General3 days ago
Alleged fraud: Kwara suspends perm sec, NUT chairman
Sports3 days ago
CAF postpones 2021 African Cup of Nation AFCON to 2022 (full details)