Connect with us

Sports

FIFA bans Siasia for life, fines him $50,000 for match fixing

Published

Siasia NFF

World football governing body, Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), on Friday banned former Super Eagles Coach Samson Siasia for life from all football-related activity.

Siasia was banned after the body’s ethics panel found him guilty of taking bribes in connection with match fixing.

In a statement, the adjudicatory chamber of FIFA’s independent ethics committee said the probe targeting Siasia stemmed from a wider investigation involving Wilson Raj Perumal, who had confessed to international match-fixing.

MORE READING!  Gernot Rohr will stay on as coach of the Super Eagles- NFF President

The probe that began in February found Siasia “guilty of having accepted that he would receive bribes in relation to the manipulation of matches in violation of the FIFA Code of Ethics,” the statement said.

In addition to being banned from all football-related activity for life, Siasia was also handed a fine of 50,000 Swiss francs ($50,000, 46,000 euros).

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

Siasia, a former striker, managed Nigeria’s national football team -Super Eagles, the men’s U23 and U20 teams. He was part of the Nigeria team that won the 1994 African Nations Cup.

READ ALSO: One dead, seven injured in truck-bus collision on Lagos-Ibadan expressway

FIFA did not detail the nature of ties to Perumal, a Singaporean national who was arrested and jailed in Finland in 2011 for fixing top-tier football games there.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Perumal later collaborated with match fixing investigators.

 

Nigeria Update

Ukrainian match postponed after footballers test positive for coronavirus

Published

on

Ukraine’s top professional soccer league said on Saturday it had canceled one of its first post-lockdown matches after several players and staff at Karpaty in the western city of Lviv tested positive for the novel coronavirus.

The match between Karpaty and Mariupol from the Azov Sea port of Mariupol was supposed to be played on Sunday behind closed doors.

MORE READING!  Gernot Rohr will stay on as coach of the Super Eagles- NFF President

The football authorities did not specify how many players had been affected by the virus and when a rescheduled match may be played.

“Those infected were immediately transferred to self-isolation. They had no symptoms,” the league said in a statement.

Ukraine’s government has started easing restrictions imposed in March to prevent the spread of the virus and allowed sports events to continue if all participants are tested and comply with other safety requirements.

MORE READING!  Is Cristiano Ronaldo expecting another baby?

The soccer authorities decided to resume competitions in the Premier League and the Cup with no spectators. Two of Ukraine’s most famous clubs, Dynamo Kiev and Shakhtar Donetsk, are scheduled to meet on Sunday.

Ukraine has reported 23,304 cases, including 696 deaths from the coronavirus as of May 30.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles

Published

on

World number 11 Fabio Fognini underwent surgery on both ankles on Saturday to cure a long-standing problem.

In a statement posted on Twitter, the 33-year-old Italian tennis player said he had hoped the two-month break due to the coronavirus pandemic would have improved his situation.

“I’ve been having a problem with my left ankle for three and a half years now and it’s an issue I’ve learned to cope with,” Fognini said. “Then my right ankle started playing up in the last two years as well.

“After a medical examination and a long discussion with my team, I decided to have arthroscopic surgery on both ankles.

“I believe it’s the right thing to do while the Tour is on an enforced break. I will have surgery today`(Saturday).”

No professional tournaments have been played since the start of March because of the pandemic, and the ATP Tour has been suspended until at least the start of August.

MORE READING!  Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal
Continue Reading

Coronavirus

La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday

Published

on

Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

Clubs in Spain’s top two soccer divisions can hold full training sessions from Monday for the first time since returning to activity after action was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, organisers La Liga have said.

“Clubs will begin collective training on June 1 after the government’s latest health order on the easing of restrictions,” La Liga said in a statement on Saturday.

Teams returned to individual training at the start of May before progressing to training in groups of up 10 players two weeks later, and groups of 14 players from last Monday.

MORE READING!  Female footballer Chi Chi shows off six packs abs (photo)

The top-flight will resume on June 11 without fans attending, with Sevilla taking on Real Betis, and with matches potentially to be played every day of the week until the season is concluded on July 19.

All organised football in Spain was provisionally suspended on March 12 as the virus ravaged the country, but the rate of infection has slowed significantly.

MORE READING!  Gernot Rohr will stay on as coach of the Super Eagles- NFF President

Thirty-nine people died in the last week compared with a daily death toll in the hundreds a month ago, the health ministry said on Friday.

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending