Connect with us

Coronavirus

 Firm donates 600-bed facility to fight COVID-19

Published

Global vaccine: UK Prime Minister to host summit on June 4

An Enugu- based company, Golden Royal, has donated a 600-bed facility to the African Development Institute of Research Methodology in Enugu for use in treating coronavirus patients.

The Director of the Institute, Prof Ike Oluka made this known on Thursday, during the final round of training organized by the institute for health personnel and other volunteers who would work as an emergency response team.

Oluka in a statement explained that the facility which is fully air-conditioned would give comfort to patients, adding that the government alone cannot fight the scourge of COVID-19.

“We decided to establish this emergency response team in other to help both the state and the federal government fight the virus and ensure that it does not escalate,” he said.

READ ALSO: Coronavirus: Zainab Ahmed tests negative

Oluka stated that members of the response team numbering 150 had been successfully trained and had been sent out to create awareness and sensitize the public on what to do to prevent the spread of the virus.

He said, “Part of what we are doing is going around different communities and sensitising the people on how best to stay safe at this critical time. We have also drawn together doctors and nurses from private hospitals across the state who would also help us in talking to people within this period.”

While acknowledging the support of other firms to the campaign against the pandemic, the ADIRM director called on the general public to make donations to help fight the virus.

MORE READING!  Don seeks national re-orientation to stop incessant rape

Oluka said the research institute, whose membership includes notable academicians and practising health professionals, was determined to ensure that the COVID-19 outbreak was effectively tackled in the country.

General

Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano. loses over N15m revenue

Published

on

The management of the Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano, says it has lost over N15 million in revenue since the lockdown of the state aimed at curbing COVID-19 spread.

Mr. Muhammad Bashir, the market’s Director of Administration and General Services, gave the figure while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Kano.

“As a result of this loss, we cannot even pay our staff salaries; we pay our staff from the revenue we generate.

“Every month, we generate over N12 million out of which we normally spend over N8 million as workers’ salaries,” he said.

Bashir said that huge business activities in the market were making social distancing difficult.

MORE READING!  2,000 Lagosians benefit from ”Eko Cares” initiative- Official

The director said that the management of the market had, however, received over 20,000 face masks from the Kano State Government for distribution to traders and customers to reduce COVID-19 spread.

Bashir appealed to the state government to assist the management with funds to enable it to pay workers’ salaries.

MORE READING!  Lagos 4th Mainland Bridge construction begins early 2021

The director said that payment of workers’ salaries would reduce hardship induced by the 45-day-old lockdown.

He hailed the state government’s efforts in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

Published

on

Covid-19: WHO set to resume hydroxychloroquine trials

The World Health Organization says it will resume its trial of hydroxychloroquine, the malaria drug backed by President Donald Trump to combat the deadly coronavirus, according to CNBC reports.

The Data Safety Monitoring Board decided there was no reason to discontinue the international trial after reviewing available data on the drug, WHO Director-General Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said during a press conference Wednesday at the agency’s Geneva headquarters.

“The executive group received this recommendation and endorsed the continuation of all arms of solidarity trial including hydroxychloroquine,” he said.

On May 25, WHO announced it had temporarily suspended its trial of the drug over safety concerns. The announcement came days after a study published in the medical journal The Lancet, which is now being reexamined, found that hospitalized Covid-19 patients treated with hydroxychloroquine had a higher risk of death than those who didn’t take it.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Ondo records two new deaths

The move by the agency spurred French drugmaker Sanofi and others to temporarily suspend recruitment their own trials looking at the drug.

Tedros said Wednesday that the safety board will continue to closely monitor the safety of all therapeutics being tested in its trials, which include more than 3,500 patients across 35 countries.

“WHO is committed to accelerating the development of effective therapeutics, vaccines and diagnostics as part of our commitment to serving the world with science, solutions and solidarity,” he said.

 

MORE READING!  Niger Delta Development Commission confirms its Executive Director died of COVID-19
Continue Reading

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 348 coronavirus cases, total now 11,166

Published

on

Nigeria has recorded new Coronavirus cases with the NCDC announcing 348 new cases of Coronavirus in Nigeria.

Newsone Nigeria reports that the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed 348 new Coronavirus cases in a tweet on the micro-blogging site, Twitter on Wednesday evening, June 2.

This burgeoning online news platform understands that the NCDC noted that of the 348 COVID-19 cases recorded on Wednesday evening, 163 were detected in Lagos, Nigeria’s commercial city, FCT-76 Ebonyi-23 Rivers-21 Delta-8 Nasarawa-8 Niger-8 Enugu-6 Bauchi-5 Edo-5 Ekiti-5 Ondo-5 Gombe-5 Benue-4 Ogun-2 Osun-1 Plateau-1 Kogi-1 Anambra-1, southeast Nigeria.

MORE READING!  21 Covid-19 patients discharged from Oyo isolation centre

To be continued……

Continue Reading




Trending