Tragedy struck residents of Aboru and Iyana-Ipaja in Alimosho area of Lagos on Saturday as flood swept away an 11-year-old boy and his rescuer, one Wasiu at a canal linking Aburo and Iyana-Ipaja on Ige Road.
The News Agency of Nigeria correspondent, who visited the scene of the accident observed huge crowd wearing sad faces due to the unfortunate incident that occurred following the overflow of water from the canal.
It was gathered that two young boys sent by their parents to buy cooking gas at a gas station unknowingly fell into a drain through which water passed into the canal.
Three young men attempted rescuing the boys and succeeded in rescuing the older one, but one of the rescuers popularly known as Wasiu Stubborn was swept away while trying to rescue the other victim.
Speaking to NAN at the scene, Mr Solomon Agboghoroma, a Community Development Association leader in Oki Town, regretted the development, saying that the government had failed to construct a bridge to prevent such incidents.
Agboghoroma, who recounted the ordeals of landlords and residents of the area anytime it rained, said that there was the need to expand Aboru road and build a bridge at Cement Bud Stop to forestall recurrence of such tragedy.
“This rain started almost four or five days ago but the one of last night was one of the heaviest and it started at about 2:15 am and by 3:15am, it came with full force and everwhere was flooded.
“At about 7:30 am or 8:00am, we learnt that an OPC member, who was security guard in one of the gas stations here was carried away by flood while trying to rescue two children who came to buy gas, but fell into the drain.
“The gas station had not opened because of the flood as the whole place including the canal had overflowed its banks.
“The children misplaced their legs and the two of them fell inside the gutter. This OPC boy went and rescued one but in the process of rescuing the second child, he and the boy fell into the canal and that was the end,” Agboghoroma said.
He blamed the government for the tragedy, saying that several petitions had been written to successive governments in the state from the time of former Gov. Babatunde Fashola to the last administration of Gov. Akinwunmi Ambode.
“People have been dying in situation like this here and all landlords have tried, including raising almost N4 million for dredging of the canal.
“The government knows what to do when it is ready because this canal contract was award sometime in 2011 or 2012. When we taxed ourselves, Fashola came and commended us and promised palliative and government takeover.
“The government should come and do the bridge as against this culvert that is here. This flat culvert cannot contain water. The government should widening this road and ensure the canal is dug for the peace and safety of residents,” he added.
The Culvert and the canal
Mr Suleiman Adedokun, an eye witness and a shop owner beside the canal, told NAN that the rescuer, named “Wasiu Stubborn”, entered the drain to rescue the boy but the flood swept both of them away into the canal.
“Wasiu tried, succeeded in catching the second boy but his effort to come out of the drain proved futile as it was not easy for him due to the force of the water.
“It is the bad road and narrow culvert that caused these deaths because these two children that fell inside the drain didn’t know it was there as water covered everywhere,” Adedokun said.
A furniture maker, Mr Gift Wejem, who decried the tragedy, said that flood had severally swept away furniture, materials, machines and generator whenever the canal overflowed its bank.
Residents gathered on the road to sympathise with the victims
An officer of the Lagos State Neighborhood Safety Corps (LSNC), who spoke to NAN on condition of anonymity, said that the agency got the information at about 9:00 am that flood carried away one Mr Wasiu a.k.a, stubborn while trying to rescue two children.
He said that the LSNC had made efforts and called relevant agencies of government, who he said might arrive the scene anytime.
“We are trying to locate the parents of the children and also to contact the family of Wasiu,” the LNSC officer said.
JUST IN:Nigeria records 553 new COVID-19 cases, total now 9,855
COVID-19 cases in Nigeria increased further on Saturday with 553 cases reported by the country, even as authorities intensify efforts to flatten the curve of the pandemic.
The new cases were confirmed by the specialist agency, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Twitter.
This takes the country’s total infections to 9,855, out of which 2856 have been discharged with 273 losing their lives.
Data from the NCDC showed that the cases were spread across 14 states and the FCT, with Lagos accounting for the highest number of infections for the day with 378 cases.
553 new cases of #COVID19;
9855 cases of #COVID19Nigeria
COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market
The Enugu State Fire Service has commenced the decontamination and fumigation of Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, against the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.
Addressing newsmen during the exercise on Saturday, the state’s Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Okwudiri Ohaa, said that the exercise would last until Sunday.
It would be recalled that the state fire service carried out the first phase of the exercise in the market on April 1, shortly after the market was shut down by the state government to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.
During the first phase of the decontamination of the market, the exercise was monitored by Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and heads of security agencies in the state.
Ohaa said that the state government had been consistent with the exercise to ensure that “the fight against COVID-19 is won in Enugu State”.
He maintained that the decontamination would be a continuous one, saying that “when the market reopens, it will be a weekly event’’.
He advised residents to continue to adhere strictly to all precautionary measures for containment of COVID-19.
Ohaa said the guidelines on personal hygiene protocol by World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), among others, should be adhered to.
Reacting on behalf of the traders in the market, the Chief Security Officer, Mr. Justus Ezebinagu, commended Gov. Ugwuanyi for the initiative to decontaminate the market for the second time.
Ezebinagu gave an assurance that the traders would comply strictly with the government’s precautionary measures as well as the laid-down protocols by WHO and NCDC.
“When we were told that the governor directed the fire service to come and fumigate the market, the traders were happy because this is the second time they are coming to fumigate the market since this pandemic started.
“We thank our amiable governor for coming to our aid. We are happy.
“Even though the market is partially open for now, we believe that our governor is going to do more in our collective interest,’’ he said.
Buhari‘s nephew, Ibrahim Dauda, dies in Daura
Ibrahim Dauda, a nephew to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is dead.
Buhari, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Dauda died on Saturday in Daura, Katsina State, following a prolonged illness.
In a condolence message, Buhari was quoted as saying the death had robbed the family and the Daura community of one of its finest gentlemen.
“I am deeply touched and devastated by the passing of yet another family member, a man who had demonstrated amazing kindness and honesty in all his dealings.
“The deceased is survived by a number of children, including Dauda Ibrahim, a Chief Administrative Officer in State House, Abuja,” the President said.
He prayed to God to forgive the soul of the deceased and reward his deeds.
PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal
Ondo: Christians obey govt’s directive on partial reopening of worship centers
65-year-old customs boss, Hameed Ali, takes new wife (Photos)
Obaseki orders Police investigation into death of UNIBEN student
Nvde photos: RRS arrest Salawa Abeni’s blackmailer
Bayelsa confirms first COVID-19 death
JUST IN: Policeman kills colleagues in shooting spree
COVID-19: Monarch seeks lockdown extension
Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
JUST IN: Nigeria records highest COVID-19 cases, deaths in West Africa
I will never be any man’s third wife- Actress Christabel sues media outlet for ‘fake news’
Covid-19 can enter the body through the eyes, Scientists warn
I really need a man, I don’t mind being second or third wife – Actress Christabel Egbenya reveals
Obasa threatens Sowore with N1bn defamation lawsuit
Bauchi lockdown: Imam flogged in public for conducting prayers in mosque [Video]
Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]
Again, police arrest Bobrisky in Lekki (video)
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Corpse of actress Destiny Etiko’s dad arrives Enugu for burial [Video]
Metro3 days ago
For drinking his soft drink without permission, man kills his brother in Lagos
Coronavirus2 days ago
Monkeys attack lab assistant, escape with COVID-19 samples
Metro2 days ago
Baby born with two mouths baffles doctors
Metro3 days ago
Troops rescue 105 women, 136 children from Boko Haram in Borno
Entertainment2 days ago
Alleged N30m fraud: See what Bobrisky said after he was arrested
health3 days ago
FG to use hotels, schools as quarantine, isolation centres
Entertainment3 days ago
Bobrisky arrested for alleged N30m fraud
Specials2 days ago
Our humanity is under attack BY Gbolahan Olayemi