Connect with us

General

Four US policemen, who killed black man by kneeling on his neck, fired

Published

Four white Minneapolis police officers involved in the death of a black man have been sacked, a move which delighted protesters.

According to reports, the FBI and authorities in Minnesota have also launched investigations into the death George Floyd, 46, who allegedly died when a white Minneapolis police officer knelt on his neck as he lay on the ground.

In a viral video of the incident, Floyd can be heard saying “I cannot breathe” and “Don’t kill me!” He then becomes motionless, eyes closed, face-first on the road.

On Tuesday, hundreds of protesters, many in face masks, lined the Minneapolis intersection where Floyd died. Some carried signs reading “I can’t breathe” and “jail killer KKKops”, chanting: “Prosecute the police.”

Protesters marched through the neighbourhood to a city police precinct, where windows were damaged and squad cars sprayed with graffiti. Police in riot gear fired teargas and deployed stun grenades at demonstrators.

“For five minutes we watched as a white officer pressed his knee to the neck of a black man,” Jacob Frey, the Minneapolis mayor, said in a press conference earlier in the day, TheGuardin UK reported.

“For five minutes. This officer failed in the most basic human sense.

“[Floyd] should not have died,” Frey added, apologizing to the family and the black community in Minneapolis.

The incident happened late on Monday, when officers responded to a call from a grocery store that claimed Floyd had used a forged check. When located in his car, police said, he “physically resisted officers” while possibly under the influence of drugs or alcohol.

George Floyd

In a press conference on Tuesday, the Minneapolis police department confirmed he “died a short time” after a “medical incident”, after being transported to hospital.

MORE READING!  UNIZIK late provost treated self for COVID-19 - Anambra govt

“[They] were able to get the suspect into handcuffs and realized that the suspect was suffering a medical distress,” a spokesman said, saying officers “called for an ambulance”.

In the video footage, witnesses can be heard shouting at officers to get off Floyd’s neck.

One yells:

“Bro, he’s not even fucking moving!” Another asks if “you’re going to just sit there with your knee on his neck?”

Another witness says:

“Did you kill him?”

On Tuesday afternoon, Frey announced that four police officers had been fired.

MORE READING!  Interstate travels: FG to withdraw permit for transporters flouting safety protocols

In a Facebook video, a witness, Darnella Frazier, said she stopped to record the incident as she was on her way to meet friends. Officers had already pinned Floyd to the ground, she said when one began kneeling on him.

“They was pinning him down by his neck and he was crying. They wasn’t trying to take him serious,” she said. “The police killed him, bro, right in front of everybody.”

Floyd’s family retained the prominent civil rights attorney Benjamin Crump, who in a statement said Floyd’s death was the result of “abusive, excessive and inhumane use of force”.

“We will seek justice for the family of George Floyd, as we demand answers from the Minnesota police department,” Crump said.

“How many ‘while black’ deaths will it take until the racial profiling and undervaluing of black lives by police finally ends?”

Outrage continued to grow on Tuesday, locally and online. The mayor of St Paul, Melvin Carter, called the footage of “a defenseless, handcuffed man one of the most vile and heartbreaking images” he had ever seen.

MORE READING!  'Billionaire' Hushpuppi sold second hand clothes, his dad was a taxi driver - report

General

Alumni association set to redevelop Unilag Cricket Pitch for N75m

Published

on

Mr Kwesi Sagoe, a former President, Nigerian Cricket Federation, says the construction of a cricket pitch of international standards in the University of Lagos will further project the institution as one of Africa’s best.

Sagoe, also a former Chairman, African Cricket Association, made the assertion on Saturday at the Sod Turning ceremony for the redevelopment of the Cricket Pitch of the University of Lagos Sports Centre.

The project is to cost at least N75 million.

The ceremony which was put together by the University of Lagos Cricket Alumni Association was in honour of a retired lecturer in the university, Prof. Adebola Kukoyi, who turned 80, on Thursday.

The Newsmen reports that Kukoyi, a Professor of French, was an active member of the association during his days as a student and as a lecturer in the university.

He retired from the university in 2005.

Sagoe said that beyond honouring Kukoyi on his 80th birthday anniversary, the association felt there was the need to give back to the University of Lagos, which moulded them.

”The whole idea is to give back to cricket and make sure that in Unilag, it remains the sport of first choice and must not disappear from the extracurricular activities of the institution.

”That is very important, and we stand by it.

”The English Football Federation has a high-performance centre at one of the universities in the UK.

”This is the kind of relationship we want the University of Lagos to have with the Nigerian Cricket Federation, whereby this place can be a high-performance centre for Nigerian cricket as a whole,” Sagoe said.

He added that building a befitting cricket facility in honour of Kukoyi would be in appreciation to his immense contributions to the development of the sports in the institution.

”About seven weeks ago, when we put our heads together as a body of cricketers who played under his watch, for the upcoming birthday of Prof. Kukoyi who also imbibed some qualities in us, we felt the need to come up with what we are witnessing today.

”As at today, we have about 102 members, and we are still reaching out to others; the important thing about this is that all the members are happy that we got together to deliberate on how to celebrate Prof. Kukoyi.

”We thought deeply about the cricket facility here, that it will be good to renew it, and therefore we sought the consent of the university authorities to name it in his honour.

“We are very excited by the reception that we got from the vice-chancellor and his management team,” he said.

Mr Uyi Akpata, Vice President, Nigerian Cricket Federation and a member of the alumni association,   said at least N75 million would be needed to put in place a cricket pitch of international standards in the university.

MORE READING!  Interstate travels: FG to withdraw permit for transporters flouting safety protocols

Akpata, also the Chairman, Edo Cricket Association, added that the institution’s cricket alumni association was looking at positioning the institution as one of the best on the African continent, considering its recent ranking by Forbes as the third productive university in Africa.

”For the pitch which is the main one, it has to be completed within the next two months. We need to take advantage of the rainy season to do it so that planting can be done.

”To do the pitch itself with the underground watering system, irrigation, turf wickets and others, we are looking at a range of between N50 million to N70 million, but it could be less if we would be assisted with equipment by other public-spirited individuals.

”Ultimately, it is a process, and we are targeting to do a formal opening ceremony around November.

”What we are looking at now is beyond this. It is about how we are going to support the university going forward, support female cricketers and attract foreigners here to play cricket,” he said.

In his remarks, the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Oluwatoyin Ogundipe, reiterated that part of his vision on the assumption of office was to bring in friends and alumni to assist in building the institution.

”Here, we are talking about the project, programme and person.

”In the last one or two weeks, there have been lots of activities; this is one of such activities that our vision has attracted to the university.

”This project, the cricket pitch, will be of international standards, and I can assure you that by next year, we shall begin to see foreigners come into the university to play cricket.

” We thank God for the life of Prof. Kukoyi who had been part of the cricket family since his days as a student and even when he was here as a lecturer and when he retired.

”He contributed to the development of these ‘boys’, and because of this, they want to honour him this way, not to him as an individual, but through him to the institution.

“I think I have taken some lessons from this,” Ogundipe said.

Also in his remarks, Kukoyi said he was overwhelmed and humbled by the gesture.

”I am indeed overwhelmed and surprised at this whole idea.

“I know a vice-chancellor is a remarkable person, a man of substance, just like all others who are behind this.

“When they want to do something, they put in all their energy to it.

”With all these efforts, we are going to turn this place to an academy of sports,” he said.

Continue Reading

General

China rebukes Canada over criticism of Hong Kong security law

Published

on

China fired back at Canada on Saturday for criticizing Beijing’s national security law for Hong Kong, the second rebuke in a week that has added to strains on their bilateral ties.

Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said on Friday that Canada was suspending its extradition treaty with Hong Kong due to the law and Canada’s Foreign Minister called the legislation “a significant step back” for liberty.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Physically challenged persons pray for Gov. Okowa, others

China’s embassy in Ottawa said in a statement on its website that Canada had “grossly interfered” in Chinese affairs, adding that the new legislation would safeguard security in Hong Kong.

“Some western countries, including Canada, have been meddling in Hong Kong affairs under the pretext of human rights, which seriously violates international law and basic norms of international relations,’’ a spokesperson said in the statement.

China imposed the legislation this week in spite of protests by Hong Kongers and criticism from Western nations, which said the legislation was setting the financial hub on an authoritarian track.

MORE READING!  I plan on making 20 girls cry in 2020, Nigerian man reveals

Hong Kong officials said on Saturday they were “very disappointed” in Canada’s suspension of the extradition treaty.

Officials in the offices of Canada’s prime minister and deputy prime minister could not immediately be reached for comment.

Relations between Beijing and Ottawa have been tense since 2018 when Canada arrested Meng Wanzhou, the Chief Financial Officer of Huawei Technologies Co, on a U.S. warrant.

MORE READING!  I dreamt if I rape a girl child I would be rich - Suspected rapist says

After Meng was detained, China arrested Canadian citizens, Michael Kovrig, a former diplomat, and Michael Spavor, a businessman on charges of espionage.

China also rebuked Canada a week ago over Ottawa’s criticism about the prosecution of the Canadians.

Continue Reading

General

Most former militants trained as divers jobless – expert

Published

on

Mr. Julius Ugwuala, Diving Inspector-elect, on Saturday said that most of the former militants trained as divers under the Federal Government Amnesty Programme had been jobless.

Ugwuala made the claim on an Instagram live program organized by Mrs. Ezinne Azunnah of the MaritimeTv.

The program had the theme, ”Code of Practice for Driving Operations in Nigeria”.

According to him, the situation is a security risk that needs to be addressed so that the ex-militants do not go back to their bad ways due to idleness.

“The Federal Government under the Amnesty initiative trained former militants, and some of them chose diving as a profession; they are back in the country and are qualified to work.

“Unfortunately, since they returned, they have not had the opportunity to work with the oil and gas sector.

“The security risk with them being jobless is that the training they had in diving will further enhance their former business if they decide to go back to it; so,” he said.

He suggested that the code of practice for diving should be implemented through the inauguration of a diving advisory board.

MORE READING!  Cross River: Alleged witches, wizards dragged out and burnt to death

He said that the absence of the code of practice had set the ex-militants back.

He urged the proper regulation of diving in Nigeria.

“Divers are not insured because we do not have the regulation that is working; this is part of the issues that the code of practice will address.

“For us to have an effective code of practice, we are looking at the most stringent one, to meet expectations or exceed international standards,” he said.

He suggested that to reduce accidents, no diving contractor should mobilize to the site without clearance from the advisory board, adding that inspectors should be deployed to check equipment to ascertain their suitability for operations.

MORE READING!  I dreamt if I rape a girl child I would be rich - Suspected rapist says

The advisory board will enforce the regulation, code of practice, and develop a policy for diving to thrive,” he said.

Continue Reading




Trending