Connect with us

General

Google joins Apple, Microsoft and Amazon as it becomes a $1 trillion company

Published

Google

Google on Thursday, January 16, joined the likes of Apple, Microsoft and Amazon as a $1 trillion company.

The search engine company was able to record the milestone achievement after its parent company, Alphabet ended the day’s trading at $1,451.70 per share, up 0.87 percent.

With Thursday’s achievement, Google became the fourth S&P 500 component to top the lofty level.

MORE READING!  Lady marks 28 years of living with HIV (Photos)

Business Insider reported that while Apple and Microsoft are still valued at more than $1 trillion, Amazon which was the second US firm to ever hit the $1 trillion level back in September 2018 has since fallen below the number.

This is the first time that three American companies are worth at least $1 trillion at the same time.

MORE READING!  Angela Okorie finally dispels marriage rumours, says it was a video

The most valuable company on the planet is still oil giant Saudi Aramco, who went public last month at a valuation of $2 trillion and is currently worth around $1.8 trillion.

Alphabet’s record market valuation came after a historic change in leadership at the company.

Recall that Sundar Pichai became the CEO of both Google and Alphabet after co-founders Larry Page and Sergey Brin announced that they would step back from the company which they founded in 1998.

MORE READING!  Cars destroyed as fire guts mechanic shop in Delta (photos)

General

Makinde begins reconstruction of Akesan market

Published

on

Governor Seyi Makinde

Seven months after it was razed, Governor Seyi Makinde of Oyo State on Wednesday flagged off the reconstruction of an ultra-modern Akesan market complex, Oyo Town.

The over 400 years old ancient market was engulfed in a fire accident which led to the loss of goods and valuables to the tune of hundreds of millions on January 5.

The reconstruction of the market which is put at a total cost of N781.7million will have 520 lock-up shops, 168 open stalls, administrative block, warehouses, cold room storage facilities, clinic, police post, toilets and portable water among others.

Speaking at the ceremony which held on the market ground, Governor Makinde said the fund to complete the project is readily available and needs not be sourced from borrowings.

He assured that, when completed, the new structure will never be grounded by any fire incident again, and if fire breaks out at all, it will never be as devastating as the last one.

According to Makinde, many safety fire precautions and safety measures have been factored into the new structure, adding that new firefighting trucks have been procured to serve the market and the immediate community.

MORE READING!  Prophet defrauds woman of N2m, impregnates her two teenage daughters

Makinde said:

“On January 8, 2020, when we visited Oja Akesan, Oyo Town to assess the damage caused by the shocking fire outbreak, I commiserated with traders who lost goods in the fire. I remember that I told them that I was taking full responsibility for the failure of the fire service to contain the fire. And that we would rebuild this market and compensate them for their loss.

“We were able to provide our widow’s mite as a government to support the people who lost their livelihoods here and had to start again. We also replaced the fire truck at the Akesan Fire station. So, we can go to bed and sleep with our two eyes closed knowing that should there be a fire here or anywhere else around here, the fire service will have no excuse to prevent them from doing their job.

“And so, we are here today to fulfill the second part of that promise, to officially flag off the rebuilding of Ojoba. Our people say, “Ile oba t’o jo, ewa lo busi.” In a literal way, Ojoba was razed but it will be raised to be of greater glory than it was before. That is why we have taken time to redesign the market.

“You must already know that this market had been in existence for 400 years and no one in recent history could have anticipated that something like this would happen. What that means is that no one even planned for a fire. So, one of the things we are doing now is to put things in place to make sure that should there be a fire in the future it will not be as devastating as this last one was.

“The reconstruction will cost N781, 761, 820. 15k and the stores will be allocated to the original owners. The first phase of reconstruction will take six months and the second phase will take two months. The contractor, who is from Oyo Town, has assured us that in less than one year the market will be complete and ready and we pray that we never experienced anything like the January 5th fire ever again.”

In his royal remarks, the Alaafin of Oyo, Oba Lamidi Adeyemi thanked the Governor for the support to the people who lost their goods and valuables to the fire incident.

MORE READING!  FG inaugurates mini water treatment plant in Yobe

While urging the contractor handling the project to ensure that the quality of materials quoted in rebuilding the market is deployed for use, the first-class monarch urged the market and shop owners to ensure they are safety conscious in their trading activities when reallocated.

The Caretaker Chairman, Oyo East local government, Prince Arowasaye Adeyemi (Arosad) said fire resistant materials that will be used in its construction will have a fire pump and water hoses connected in all the building s with a dedicated underground fire hydrant tank.

MORE READING!  El-Rufai: I won’t support a northerner as president in 2023

He added that the reconstruction will take a high priority on the safety and protection of properties, an indication of the uttermost importance the Governor has placed on the project.

Oyo Deputy Governor, Mr Rauf Olaniyan, the Secretary to the State Government, Mrs Olubanwo Adeosun, Chief of Staff to Governor Makinde, Chief Bisi Ilaka, other top government functionaries, traders, traditional rulers, community leaders among others attended the event.

 

The Nation

Continue Reading

General

Man pens emotional tribute to his deceased dog

Published

on

A Nigerian man identified as Andre Tha Mage on the micro-blogging platform, Twitter, has mourned his dog Douglas Brown in a heartwarming way.

This comes as little or no surprise as, a dog they say, is man’s best friend.

When a close friend passes on, it is only right that last respects are paid in honour of the dead, which is what has been done in the case of Andre Tha Mage and his dog friend.

MORE READING!  95-year-old survives Covid-19 in Oyo

In a tweet he made on Saturday, August 1, Andre revealed that Brown had taken ill.

However, days later, he said that the dog finally passed away, adding that death brought an end to their “8 years of friendship and loyalty”.

Andre thanked his late pet for being an excellent listener to issues he couldn’t tell anyone else other than his furry friend. While penning an emotional tribute, the dog lover added that he would also not forget the bite scars Brown gave him as he said that his love for the dog is forever.

“Thank you for the 8 years of friendship and loyalty, thanks for listening to me when I couldn’t express myself to anyone, I won’t forget the scars from your bite as well, love you forever buddyPleading face❤

RIP Douglas Brown 2012 – 2020.” he wrote.

Revert to his post below:

Continue Reading

General

JUST IN: Governing Council sack UNILAG Vice Chancellor

Published

on

National Universities Commission

The Vice-Chancellor of the University of Lagos (UNILAG), Professor Olawatoyin Ogundipe, has been sacked by the governing council of the institution.

His removal was announced during a meeting of the Governing Council of the institution which held at the National Universities Commission (NUC) building in Abuja today.

Seven members voted for the removal of Ogundipe (UNILAG Vice-Chancellor) while four voted against. One of the members voted that he should rather be placed on suspension.

MORE READING!  No be every pu$$y man fit take do one night stand, HarrySong says as he reveals sister's experience

The meeting was presided over by its Pro-Chancellor and Chairman of Council, Dr Wale Babalakin (SAN).

Recall that the council chairman, Babalakin and the UNILAG Vice-Chancellor, Prof Toyin Ogundipe, have been at loggerheads over some issues relating to the running of the school.

The face-off led to the last-minute suspension of this year’s graduation ceremonies of the school.

MORE READING!  Appeal Court reverses INEC's deregistration of 22 parties

Based on the development, ASUU, UNILAG chapter under the leadership of Dr Dele Ashiru, held a Congress where Babalakin was declared unwelcomed on campus.

When the Council attempted to hold a meeting a few weeks ago, ASUU also fixed its congress for the foyer of the Council Chambers and the Council called off it’s meeting due to that.

MORE READING!  Lady marks 28 years of living with HIV (Photos)

As a fallout of the matter, four senior professors in the school including Prof. Lai Olurode issued a statement lambasting ASUU’s stance and saying that the action amounted to overzealousness on the part of the union.

Continue Reading




Trending