Connect with us

Nigeria Update

Gov. Ortom’s wife, son test positive for COVID-19

Published

Benue: I don't regret revealing the identity of the Covid-19 index case- Ortom

Benue state governor’s wife and son have tested positive for Coronavirus.

Mrs Eunice Ortom who announced this to newsmen on Friday, July 3, said she, their son, and some of her staff tested positive for the virus and have immediately gone into isolation.

“Few moments ago this evening, I received my result from the tests earlier carried out on me by NCDC personnel on routine screening at Government House, Makurdi, which returned that I, my son, and some staff are COVID-19 positive,” she said in a statement.

“We have from this moment, gone into total isolation as required by the protocol and would immediately begin the management treatment as advised by medical experts.

“While I have taken the responsibility to personally call everyone I can recall to have had recent contact with me to go for testing, I advise everyone who has had close contact with me in the last 2 weeks and the public to go for screening and testing.

“I wish to reiterate that being COVID-19 positive is not a death sentence as evident by the many recoveries recorded thus far, so there is no need to panic, but we should continue to be responsible in our actions so as to keep others safe. I am encouraging people to take preventive measures to be protected and be safe by observing the primary protocols. Stay safe!! COVID-19 is real.”

“The development comes after Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, wife of the Ondo governor, tested positive for COVID-19.” she said

Benue state currently has 97 confirmed cases of the viral disease.

MORE READING!  PDP chieftain fears defeat in Ondo governorship polls 

General

Covid-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, toll now 44,129

Published

on

health workers

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 288 new cases of COVID-19 in the country, bringing the total number of COVID-19 infection to 44,129.

The NCDC made this known via its verified Twitter handle on Monday.

“On the 3rd of August 2020, 288 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

“Till date, 44129 cases have been confirmed, 20663 cases have been discharged and 896 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“The 288 new cases are reported from 15 states- Lagos (88), Kwara (33), Osun (27), FCT (25), Enugu (25), Abia (20), Kaduna (17), Plateau (13), Rivers (13), Delta (10), Gombe (8), Ogun (4), Oyo (3), Katsina (1), Bauchi (1),” the NCDC said.

MORE READING!  South Africa's corfirmed COVID-19 cases now 503,290
Continue Reading

health

Positive cases drop by 2,000 in July – FG

Published

on

Osagie Ehanire,

Nigeria recorded less than 2,000 positive cases in July, the Federal Government has disclosed.

It further stated the number of testing carried out across the country increased by 40,000 in just one month.

A total of 287,532 COVID-19 tests have been carried out so far in Nigeria.

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, made these known during the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 will hinder giving Pa Fasanmi befitting burial - Fayemi

He also said the Federal Government plans to reduce the deaths from the pandemic to less than one per cent.

The Federal Government also plans to expand sample collection to rural areas by setting set up at least one COVID-19 sample collection site in every Local Government Area (LGA) with designated holding rooms at General hospitals for patients with significant clinical symptoms.

MORE READING!  N12.3bn missing in Imo commission –Report

Ehanire said this will ensure patients are not turned back at hospitals.

The Minister asked health workers not to fret on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);

“As we are reasonably well stocked with materials and commodities, which have been supplied to all sections of the country.”

Continue Reading

health

COVID-19 vaccines now in phase three clinical trials –WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organisation says a number of potential vaccines that may be deployed in the treatment of COVID-19 are now in phase three clinical trials.

WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, disclosed this at a virtual conference on Monday.

“A number of vaccines are now in phase three clinical trials and we all hope to have a number of effective vaccines that can help prevent people from infection.

“However, there’s no silver bullet at the moment and there might never be. For now, stopping outbreaks comes down to the basics of public health and disease control,” he said.

Ghebreyesus, therefore, urged countries and international partners to focus more on testing, isolating and treating COVID-19 patients as well as tracing and quarantining their contacts.

“The message to people and governments is clear: do it all. For individuals, it’s about keeping physical distance, wearing a mask, cleaning hands regularly and coughing safely away from others. Do it all,” he appealed.

Last Friday, the Ethiopian met with the Emergency Committee on COVID-19 to review the current pandemic.

MORE READING!  COVID-19 will hinder giving Pa Fasanmi befitting burial - Fayemi

It was a sobering moment coming six months from when the Committee advised, that the outbreak constituted a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

The WHO boss noted that as at the time (30 January), there were fewer than 100 cases and no deaths outside of China.

“Since then, the number of cases has increased more than fivefold to 17.5 million, and the number of deaths has more than tripled, to 680,000.

“In addition to the direct toll COVID-19 is having, the Committee noted the health impact that disrupted services are having on a range of other diseases.

“That compounds what we already know about reduced immunisation coverage, cancer screening and care, and mental health services. On top of the health impact, we have seen the damage COVID-19 has caused socially, economically and politically,” he noted.

Continue Reading




Trending