Connect with us

Politics

Governor Obaseki booed by angry residents at Oba of Benin’s palace (Video)

Published

Hundreds of angry Edo residents have reportedly booed Edo state governor, Godwin Obaseki after his convoy was blocked at the Palace of the Oba of Benin.

Obaseki who was disgraced and disparaged as a thief by the angry residents reportedly visited the Palace for royal blessings as he flagged off his campaign as the candidate of the Peoples Democratic Party in the coming Edo Gubernatorial election.

Recall that the Edo state governor, Godwin Obaseki was disqualified during Edo APC screening over certificate scandals which prevented him from clinching the party’s ticket and later defected to PDP.

MORE READING!  Isa Funtua was a pillar to my government- Buhari

Newsmen learnt that the people at the ancient palace were rejoicing and making merry before they sighted his convoy from a small distance and spontaneously became an angry mob of protesters.

The embattled Governor, Obaseki was confronted by the angry protesters with chants of “thief” and other disgraceful epithets, demanding that he leaves the Palace and not “pollute the environment with his dishonourable self.”

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Lagos reopens worship centres August 7

Newsmen also gathered that the embattled Governor, Obaseki and his aides who accompanied him to the palace were dumbfounded and attempts to salvage the situation angered the crowd who were hellbent that the Governor, Obaseki must leave the Palace.

The angry mob stated that Obaseki has been rejected and is no longer their Governor.

Reacting to the incident, a palace source who pleaded anonymity said “what took place today is a bad omen for Governor Obaseki and his PDP.

MORE READING!  PDP chieftain fears defeat in Ondo governorship polls 

He selfishly came for blessings at a place he has not really sowed any good seeds and he received boos and disgrace. It is a clear sign of rejection and what is to come.”

“Some of his followers have already gotten the cue and they are abandoning him despite threats and offering of monetary rewards. That campaign, starting like this, can never be successful. The people don’t want this man anymore.”

 

Watch the video below;

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Politics

Ebonyi govt pledges to promote breastfeeding, provides creches, jingles

Published

on

The Ebonyi Government has pledged to do everything possible to encourage breastfeeding among young mothers in the state to improve child and maternal survival.

The Commissioner for Health in Ebonyi, Dr. Daniel Umezurike disclosed this on Tuesday during a press briefing to mark 2020 World Breastfeeding Week in Abakaliki.

Umezurike revealed that the state government considered the feeding critical by creating public awareness campaigns and jingles with support from partners to advocate breastfeeding in the state.

The commissioner also disclosed that civil servants who were nursing mothers in the state had been observing four months of paid maternity leave to encourage breastfeeding.

He said that wife of the Governor, Mrs. Rachael Umahi had established creches in the women development center and strategic locations to enhance appropriate feeding.

MORE READING!  Only a foolish old man will say he wants to marry a young lady who is just starting her life- Ebenezer Obey

“This is for the mother to get close to their children, even at work so that they can breastfeed intermittently.

He added that they were also allowed after the leave resumption to close at mid-day to enable them to return home to their babies to feed them appropriately.

“Breastfeeding is the most important way of improving child and maternal survival. We take this very seriously.

“We do all these to encourage, protect and support breastfeeding in the state,” Umezurike said.

According to him, malnutrition is a challenge that reduces the production of breast milk, when nursing mothers are not properly fed.

MORE READING!  Edo central agenda realizable in APC, says chieftain

Umezurike added that such families to include the downtrodden and widows were supported by Mrs. Umahi to ensure family health was protected in the state.

He further stated that the COVID-19 pandemic had affected activities, food production, consumption practices degrading land, and ecosystems among others, thus every step is taken across the life cycle to mitigate environmental degradation and climate crisis.

He stated that the pandemic had demonstrated that the global world interdependent and dependent on the same planet, thus need a healthy planet with support of breastfeeding.

MORE READING!  Toddler, one other die as commercial bus somersaults on Lagos – Ibadan expressway

Meanwhile, the Commissioner disclosed the current situation report of COVID-19 in the state, saying that totally confirmed cases are 871, deaths 25, discharged 804 and active cases are 36.

“We have three isolation centers and some on home isolation,” Umezurike said.

The Baby-Friendly Initiative Coordinator in the Ministry of Health, Mrs. Beatrice Ojinkama described breastfeeding as the foundation of life.

Ojinkama gave advantages of initiating breastfeeding to include serving as first immunization for a child to survive, help remove the reserved placenta, help in family planning among other processes.

She called on the media to assist partners and the ministry in achieving the scheme.

Continue Reading

Politics

FG to resume rollout of Digital Switch Over soon – Lai Mohammed

Published

on

The Federal Government says it will “very soon’ resume the rollout of Digital Switch Over (DSO) – a transition from analogue to digital television broadcasting – across the country.

The Minister of Information and Culture, Alhaji Lai Mohammed stated this on Tuesday in Lagos at a ceremony to unveil the new amendment to the 6th Edition of the Broadcasting Code.

Fielding questions from stakeholders at the ceremony, the minister said the DSO suffered some set back which led to holding after it was launched in six states.

MORE READING!  N12.3bn missing in Imo commission –Report

He reiterated the commitment of the government to spread the massive benefits of digital television to the people, stressing that it was the fastest way to create jobs.

The Newsmen recalls the rollout of DSO commenced in Jos, Plateau in April 2016 and moved to Abuja, Ilorin, Kaduna, Enugu and lastly in Oshogbo in February 2018.

MORE READING!  Only a foolish old man will say he wants to marry a young lady who is just starting her life- Ebenezer Obey

The minister assured the stakeholders that they would hear from the government on the resumption of the DSO roll out in the coming weeks.

Mohammed also told the stakeholders that the government had been implementing policies and programs to reposition the creative industry.

He said one of the major recommendations of the Post COVID-19 Initiative Committee on the Creative Industry chaired by ace comedian, Ali Baba was a restructuring of the industry.

MORE READING!  Shoprite exits Nigeria 

The minister reassured that the government would soon set up a committee on the implementation of the recommendations to move the industry forward.

The Minister also reiterated the government’s commitment to assist the Newspaper Proprietors Association of Nigeria in securing the N10 billion Nigeria Media Intervention Fund from the Central Bank of Nigeria.

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Buhari orders rejig of security operational strategies

Published

on

President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered rejig of operational strategies of the nation’s security network to effectively counter the security situation across the country.

The National Security Adviser (NSA), Major General Babagana Monguno (Rtd.), disclosed this to State House Correspondents on Tuesday after the National Security Council meeting held at the State House.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Lagos reopens worship centres August 7

He also revealed that the administration was working on a solution to the security crisis in some parts of the country, saying that the Minister of Defense, Major General Bashir Salihi Magashi (Rtd), was “working on something” to give effect to President Buhari’s earlier marching orders to service chiefs.

The NSA also disclosed that the council noted that the proliferation of drugs is driving insecurity in the country.

MORE READING!  Isa Funtua was a pillar to my government- Buhari

Monguno said the manner of killings of their victims can only mean one thing and that is, the bandits, kidnappers and terrorists are out of their minds.

Continue Reading




Trending