A Lagos based group, the Save Lagos Group (SLG) has challenged the National Leader of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Bola Tinubu, to tell Yoruba people his position on the Southwest Nigeria Security Network “Amotekun” declared illegal by the Federal Government.
SLG in a statement issued, on Friday, by its convener Comrade Adeniyi Alimi Sulaiman, gave Tinubu 24 hours “to make his position known to the good people of Yorubaland as a true son of the race”.
Since Amotekun was launched last week by governors in the six Southwest states, it has generated a series of controversies.
The Minister of Justice Abubakar Malami while announcing the position of the Federal Government said the security outfit is illegal.
The controversy trailing Amotekun took a dramatic turn on Thursday when herdsmen under the umbrella of the Miyetti Allah Kautal Hore warned Southwest governors to withdraw their support for the security outfit, adding that their continued support for Amotekun may hurt the Southwest’s chances of getting the Presidency in 2023.
In the midst of all the controversies and reactions from prominent Nigerians including Nobel laureate Prof Soyinka, former NBA President Olasi Agbakoba, Tinubu who is perceived by many as a leading political figure in the Southwest has kept mum.
SLG convener Sulaima said Tinubu could not be claiming to be one of Yoruba leaders and “sit on the fence over this germane issue of national importance”.
Challenging the APC leader who is also rumoured to be nursing a presidential ambition ahead of the 2023 elections, the group insisted that Tinubu could not be claiming to be Asiwaju of Lagos in Yorubaland without making his position known on “Amotekun”.
The statement read:
“Supporting the legitimate security Network “Amotekun” could not erode him (Tinubu) of becoming the nation’s President as being claimed in some North-Nigeria quarters, particularly, Miyetti Allah.
“If God destined Bola Tinubu to be the President of this country in 2023 and not by fraudulent means, no human being could change the Divine position him.”
Sulaiman who stated further that the Yoruba nation was presently in trying period over the formation of the Security outfit, said no Yoruba leader, as well as its lovers, could keep mute on the burning issue. He urged Yoruba leaders to unite to speak in one voice on the issue.
Saluting the courage of South-West Governors in launching the security outfit with the aim of securing the region and complementing the existing federal security apparatus in the region and effort of the Federal Government on security matter.
The statement added:
“We commend Yoruba leaders and groups like Afenifere, Southern and Middle-Belt organization, Barrister Femi Falana, Baba Ayo Adebanjo, Baba Reuben Fasoranti, Professor Woke Soyinka, Aare Gani Adam, Baba Olu Falae and others too numerous to mention, that had spoken in support of the creation of “Amotekun”.
“The formation of the security outfit is a welcome development and good thing to happen to Yoruba nation at this time and urged the Southwest Governors to ensure that this lofty idea of complementing the effort of the Federal Government of Nigeria in curbing the security problems facing the region vis a vis the country, was not died prematurely.
“Without mincing words, this Security Network (Amotekun) is legal, legitimate and lawful and it has come to stay like Civilian JTF, Hisbah Police and other legal security outfits established by State and Local Governments in Nigeria. The purported rejection of “Amotekun” by the Federal Government is unfederal, unconstitutional and mockery of our tenets of federal Constitutional democracy”.
“On the Northern group’s position that the formation of “Amotekun” might cost Yoruba people the country’s Presidency in 2023 which they have used to create fear in the mind of Senator Bola Tinubu and few other Yoruba leaders who were interested to put themselves forward for the plum job in the next dispensation, the norther elements must stop playing God. Only God chooses leaders not ordinary mortal.”
Covid-19: Yobe announces reopening of schools
Yobe State government has announced August 8, 2020, as the date for the reopening of schools across the state.
The new date applies to all boarding schools in the state while academic activities will commence in all schools on August 11, 2020.
The State Commissioner for Basic and Secondary Education, Dr. Mohammed Sani Idris announced this in Damaturu Thursday while briefing journalists on the preparedness of the state to reopen schools after their closure about four months ago due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“Yobe State Ministry of Basic and Secondary Education wishes to inform the general public that SS3 and boarding Junior Secondary School students should unfailingly resume on 8th August, 2020.
“While Private schools and Government Day Secondary Schools (GDSS) students should resume on 11th August, 2020.
“The Ministry equally advises all students to come with their facemasks, as school authorities will also provide all preventable measures against the pandemic.”
The Commissioner also noted that
“Gov. Mai Mala Buni has assured that Yobe state will always abide by all preventable guidelines provided by the federal government.
He urged all SS3 students to prepare themselves well for the WAEC which will commence August 17, 2020 in order to get the best results and make the state proud.
“We are determined to reverse the negative educational statistics associated with our state. We therefore call on the students to read hard and make the state proud,” Dr. Sani said.
Over 400 ghost teachers uncovered in Benue
Benue state teaching service board has disclosed that it has uncovered 433 ghost workers, including 18 dead persons in its payroll.
The board’s executive secretary, Frank Kyungun made the disclosure on Wednesday, August 5 while presenting the report of the screening exercise recently conducted by the board to Governor Samuel Ortom.
“The screening uncovered 433 ghost workers on the payroll after verification of 4,473 staff across the three senatorial zones of the state.
“The screening committee also uncovered 18 dead persons, 70 retired staff, 193 redeployed staff, among other irregularities on the payroll, who were accordingly expunged.”
Commenting on the report, Governor Ortom said he has constituted a committee to immediately implement the committee’s recommendation. Dennis Ityavyar, the state commissioner for education, has been appointed to head the committee.
“Those who had milked the board through ghost workers must be identified and prosecuted.
“The ghost names should be immediately deleted from the payment voucher”.
We’re committed to finding vaccine, says Osinbajo
Vice President Yemi Osinbajo (SAN) has emphasised that President Muhammadu Buhari administration is committed to finding a vaccine for the Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) for Nigerians.
He stated this on Wednesday during a virtual meeting with representatives of the BNT162 COVID-19 vaccine candidate on the progress of the vaccine development around the world, including Africa.
Osinbajo, according to a statement issued by the Senior Special Assistant to the President on Media and Publicity, Office of the Vice President, Mr. Laolu Akande, also said the health and safety of the citizens is the priority of the administration.
The meeting was attended by the Health Minister, Dr. Osagie Ehanire and the Executive Director of the National Primary Health Care Development Agency, Dr. Faisal Shuaib, with representatives of Pfizer and Biotech, the international pharmaceutical firms promoting the BNT162 vaccine candidate.
According to Osinbajo, the interaction between the Federal Government and the promoters of the vaccine candidate “is an important conversation and it is important for us that we are prioritised as -the largest country in Africa – in the distribution of the best COVID-19 vaccine when it’s eventually ready.
“Our priority is the health of the Nigerian citizens. We continue to engage and intend to look at every possible option -from all manufacturers- of a good vaccine. We want to do the very best for our people in this regard.”
During the meeting, the Vice President asked several questions about the COVID-19 vaccine candidate, including how quickly Nigeria can get the vaccine once it’s safely ready.
Responding, the Pfizer Country Manager and Representative in Africa, who spoke for the promoters, Mr. Subair Olayinka, promised that “Nigeria will be priority” for the vaccine supply to Africa.
Although the vaccine trials are not going on in Nigeria currently, he said the trials are ongoing in parts of the African continent and it would be entering the third phase, having concluded the first two phases successfully.
The Health Minister noted that the Federal Government would consider quality, appropriate volume and how well and quick a vaccine can be delivered to Nigeria in deciding which manufacturer to procure supply.
Buhari sympathizes with Lebanon over massive explosions
NIPC boss considers Shoprite strategic investment in Nigeria
We will harmonize all interests in Anambra FA, caretaker committee chairman assures
Happenings in Edo threat to constitutional order – Atiku
INEC introduces election result viewing portal
Gold price continues to fly high, rises to yet another record
Gov Ikpeazu calls for Federal Secretariat in Abia
APC appoints acting state chairman in Akwa Ibom
Sudan to ban female genital mutilation, allow non-Muslims to consume alcohol
Moment man catches baby thrown from 3rd floor of burning apartment (Video)
AC Milan join Jay Z’s Roc Nation management
Nigerian man, used as ‘human collateral’ to Pakistani drug gang, speaks [Video]
River State fishermen celebrate as they capture large sea cow (Video)
Mum jumped into lake and didn’t come back up, Naya Rivera’s four-year-old son tells police
Police open recruitment portal [See Application Guidelines]
SHOCKING! Prophetess Mary Olubori sells her saliva to members for N550k
Lady rejects boyfriend’s marriage proposal, insists he must kneel before she accepts the ring (Video)
Protesters deliver #RevolutionNow message despite Police assault
Mother protects daughters’ alleged rapist from arrest (Video)
VIDEO: Sanwo-Olu, I want justice for my daughter, safety for Nigerians – Mom of lady crushed by fallen container in Lagos
Oshiomhole buys roasted corn by the roadside, eats it in public as people hail him (Video)
Oshiomhole begs God to sack Obaseki, holds prayer session (Video)
Lady humiliates boyfriend after seeing him in hotel with her friend (Video)
Sick Nigerian domestic help in Oman locked up, prevented from returning by employer
Sports3 days ago
Iker Casillas retires
General2 days ago
Lebanon blast kills over 25 people, leaves scores injured
General3 days ago
Nigerian ladies stranded in Saudi Arabia cry out for help (Video)
News3 days ago
Adoke re-arraigned on amended money laundering charges
Entertainment3 days ago
Most women flaunt luxuries without showing businesses that got them – Chioma Okoye
Sports20 hours ago
Beirut explosion: I thought I would die, says Nigerian footballer
Politics20 hours ago
Buhari’s aide, Femi Adesina, mocks #RevolutionNow protests, calls it ‘Child’s Play’
Entertainment3 days ago
BBNaija lockdown housemate, Ozo, turns 28