Connect with us

General

Gunmen abduct comedian, beat her severely for ‘ridiculing’ govt. in her skits

Published

Gunmen Comedian

A Zimbabwean comedian, Samantha Kureya, known by her stage name as “Gonyeti”, has been found after being abducted and beaten by masked gunmen in the capital Harare, her relatives and colleagues say.

Gonyeti was allegedly abducted and tortured by the yet-to-be-identified assailants for being critical of the police and government in her skits.

According to her colleague, the comedian was taken from her home, beaten and forced to drink sewage before being dumped.

BBC reported that in Zimbabwe, comedians have historically found it difficult to make jokes about authority, fearing jail.

MORE READING!  Kano: Did 600 COVID-19 patients disappear? Man asks, shares video empty of isolation center

Police have not yet commented on Gonyeti’s abduction.

Her brother, Jonathan Gasa, told the BBC that about six armed masked men stormed her home on Wednesday night, took her away, stripped and assaulted her.

He said they accused her of undermining the government with her skits.

She was found three hours later.

Her colleague Lucky Aaron told the BBC that she was dumped in “the bush” in the suburbs of Harare.

He said he picked her up and took her to the hospital for scans which confirmed no bones had been broken.

MORE READING!  WHO pays tribute to African leaders on fight against COVID-19

But he was still concerned for her health because she was forced to drink sewage, he added.

In a tweet, opposition Movement for Democratic Change (MDC) leader Nelson Chamisa called her abduction a “barbaric human rights violation.”

In February Kureya was one of two comedians arrested for public nuisance for wearing a uniform that resembled a police uniform in a skit, reports the BBC’s Shingai Nyoka from Harare.

At the time she was reportedly warned that her comedy was becoming too political.

READ ALSO: Hong Kong protests: Google blocks 210 YouTube channels over misinformation

Her abduction follows several recent cases of activists who were planning anti-government protests being abducted and tortured, human rights groups say.

MORE READING!  Nigerian, 24, bags PhD in Law from George Washington University

The Zimbabwean authorities denied any involvement in those abductions.

They have not yet commented on the comedian’s abduction.

Kureya told the BBC in 2018 that her comedy company Bustop TV used to be banned from attending national events but since Robert Mugabe was ousted from power she hoped comedians would be allowed more freedom of expression.

 

 

 

General

Prominent Kano Monarch dies

Published

on

Kano: Mobile courts convict 874 lockdown violators

Dr Wada Ibrahim Waziri, the Sa’in Bichi, Hakimin Dambatta has passed on at the age of 89.

Family sources told The Nation that the prominent monarch died Wednesday morning after a protracted illness related to old age.

The late monarch who was at one time the District Head of Makoda was born into a royal family and had his education early in Kano Middle School, he passed out in the 1950s.

MORE READING!  My childhood friend who forgot me once he became famous- Man calls out Kelechi Iheanacho

Late Wada Waziri was a veteran nursing officer who became popular under the AVM Hamza Abdullahi regime in 1984 when he served as head of operation of the then Kano State Environmental Sanitation Agency, popularly known as Ruwa-Ruwa.

During his lifetime, the frontline monarch Wada Waziri worked as a civil servant and later got involved in active politics.

MORE READING!  WHO pays tribute to African leaders on fight against COVID-19
Continue Reading

General

Violations: NBC fines three stations, sanctions 28 others

Published

on

Violations: NBC fines three stations, sanctions 28 others

The National Broadcasting Commission (NBC) has fined three stations over the broadcast of invariable content on COVID-19 and also sanctioned 28 others for violations against the Nigeria Broadcasting Code.

The Acting Director-General of NBC, Prof. Armstrong Idachaba, made this known at a press briefing in Abuja on Wednesday.

Idachaba said the three stations fined were Adaba FM and Breeze FM, all in Akure, as well as Albarka FM, Ilorin.

He said that the stations were fined N250,000 each for broadcasting invariable claims and misleading information about the COVID-19 pandemic.

The NBC boss further stated that 28 other stations were sanctioned for violation of the code in areas bordering on hate speech, obscenity, technical breach, advertisement, invariable claims and unprofessionalism.

“All the stations have been either queried or sanctioned according to the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code

” The commission wishes to, again, re-emphasise that all broadcasters must adhere strictly to the provisions of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code and National Broadcast Act CAP N11 Laws of the Federation, 2004,” Idachaba said.

On reforms by the NBC, Idachaba said the amendment of the sixth edition of the Nigeria Broadcasting Code as approved by President Muhammadu Buhari made provisions for local content in the broadcast industry.

MORE READING!  I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt - Real Warri Pikin

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bauchi records two new deaths, discharges 37

According to him, it also makes provision for increased advertising revenue for local broadcast stations and content producers.

“It also creates restrictions for monopolistic and anti-competitive behaviour in the broadcast industry. It further makes provision for responsibility for broadcast stations during national emergencies.

” I am glad that the work is ready now, and the commission has published the provisions of the amendment of the code,” he said.

On Digital Switch Over (DSO), the NBC boss explained that the commission was considering a new licence-free regime and broadcast signal distributors carriages fees for Digital Terrestrial Television (DTT) operators

“The new rates would affect National Free-view DTT, Rational Free-view DTT and Local Free-view DTT.

” The committee expects all licenced DTT operators to commence payment of the new fees which is lower than the fees in the analogue era.

“However, very important progressive steps are being taken for the actualisation of the DSO.

“There have been several online meetings with various players and stakeholders in the digital ecosystem.

” We have concluded plans for a new timeline, indicating new cities where we are moving to and the details will be released once the lockdown is fully eased,” he said.

He called on all broadcasters and workers in the media industry to stay safe in the face of the raging pandemic.

MORE READING!  Don't ever tell people how much you earn, it is a bad idea, Nigerian man warns

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Published

on

Japan approves ¥31.9trn supplement budget amid virus crisis

Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe’s cabinet on Wednesday green-lighted a second supplementary budget worth 31.9 trillion yen (296 billion dollars) to help mitigate the economic fallout from the coronavirus pandemic.

The extra budget would help frontline medical staff and small businesses hit hard by closure requests due to the pandemic.

It came about one month after the enactment of the first extra budget worth 25.69 trillion yen.

Report says Abe’s cabinet aims to have the second extra budget enacted by the parliament before the current session ends on June 17.

“The latest extra budget would allow the government to subsidise rent payments for small firms and business owners, covering two-thirds of them for six months, with an upper limit of 6 million yen,’’ Kyodo News reported.

READ ALSO: Here’s why Trump has threatened to shut down social media

However, opposition lawmakers criticised the plan, saying it is not enough.

“The plan is ineffective, as it does not show an idea of trying to compensate income losses at all,’’ Yuichiro Tamaki, the leader of the Democratic Party for the People, told reporters.

Through the first extra budget, the government decided to provide 100,000 yen in cash to every resident.

MORE READING!  Nigerian, 24, bags PhD in Law from George Washington University

Japan first declared a state of emergency for Tokyo and six other prefectures in early April, a week later, the measure was expanded to the entire country.

By mid-May, the state of emergency had been lifted in many of Japan’s 47 prefectures.

The state of emergency ended in Tokyo and four other prefectures on Monday, the last remaining regions subject to restrictions, ahead of the scheduled expiry on May 31.

MORE READING!  2020 Children’s Day: Monarch’s wife donates palliatives to school for blind in Ekiti

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading




Trending