Connect with us

Crime

Gunmen kill police orderly, abduct two Chinese in Edo

Published

Ebonyi: Gunmen kill man over N100,000

Some unknown gunmen have reportedly abducted two Chinese working with a glass and aluminium company in Benin, the Edo State capital.

It was gathered that the police orderly attached to the victims was also killed during the operation that took place on Wednesday at the Utesi community along the Benin-Auchi Road, where the company is located.

MORE READING!  World Bank approved $346m for projects in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger

The victims were said to be on their way home after the close of work when the gunmen blocked their vehicle and took them into custody after killing the police orderly.

A source, who spoke with The Punch in confidence, said,

“As soon as the victims came out of the company’s premises, the gunmen, who apparently had been waiting for them, started trailing them.”

The source added that the gunmen killed the cop attached to the victims, before abducting the Chinese.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Ize-Iyamu emerges Edo APC Governorship candidate

The state Commissioner of Police, Mr DanMallam Muhammed, confirmed the incident.

“Yes, the incident was reported to us yesterday (Wednesday). We are working hard to rescue the victims from the kidnappers,” he stated.

 

 

Crime

World Bank approved $346m for projects in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger

Published

on

The World Bank has approved $346m for two projects aimed at strengthening resilience and livelihoods in the Lake Chad region.

A statement from the World Bank explained that the projects, which are to be financed through the International Development Association, will be shared between Cameroon, Chad, Niger and Nigeria.

The Multi-Sectoral Crisis Recovery Project for North Eastern Nigeria, Additional Financing – for which the bank allocated $176m – will help the Federal Government to improve access to basic services and livelihood opportunities for crisis-affected communities in Adamawa, Borno and Yobe states.

The project will also enhance coordination among the states and other Lake Chad countries.

The project expands the ongoing $200m MCRP project and puts an increased emphasis on support for agricultural livelihoods and investments.

The MCRP AF will provide support for labour-intensive approaches and works programs, promote rural and regional connectivity, rehabilitate market infrastructure and prioritise climate change adaptation and mitigation.

MORE READING!  Benin Businessman Investigated By EFCC For €29 Million Fraud Dies In Kirikiri Prison

The project will also expand its education and health activities by providing grants to school committees and incentives to returning teachers.

It would also promote the quality of primary health care services in targeted public health centres and district hospitals.

The second project, the Lake Chad Region Recovery and Development Project, valued at $170m, will support national and regional coordination platforms and local capacity building in selected provinces of Cameroon, Chad, and Niger.

It is also expected that the project – PROLAC – will contribute to restore sustainable rural mobility and connectivity and strengthen the recovery of agricultural livelihoods.

It will also promote knowledge sharing and regional dialogue with a data platform hosted at the Lake Chad Basin Commission while strengthening community empowerment through citizen engagement, social cohesion activities and labour-intensive public works.

The statement added that PROLAC will contribute to the rehabilitation of rural roads and small transport infrastructure, and promote productive investments in the affected the areas.

MORE READING!  Man gives wife money for upkeep after court remands her, boyfriend over their plot to kill him

According to the World Bank, the Lake Chad region suffers from poor development and economic indicators compared to the averages in other areas in the four countries.

There are significant gaps in infrastructure, access to basic services is poor, and natural resources and livelihoods are severely impacted by climate change.

The World Bank noted that since 2009, the situation in the region had been worsened by insecurity due to the activities of insurgents.

The prevailing security situation has prevented more than 49 million people in the region from attaining their livelihoods in fishing, livestock farming and agriculture.

The two newly approved operations will focus on enhancing regional collaboration among the four countries to support communities close to the shore of Lake Chad.

The projects are also aimed at improving the living conditions of the population, including vulnerable women and youth who face the negative impacts of climate change and suffer from insecurity.

MORE READING!  My wife lied, incest is a taboo in Yorubaland, says man accused of raping his nine and seven-year-old daughters

World Bank Director of Regional Integration for Africa, Deborah Wetzel, said the Lake Chad region remains a priority area of engagement as a result of the common nature of the challenges faced by the sub-region and the huge potential for regional cooperation.

“The framework being created by both PROLAC and the MCRP AF will lay the foundation for future regional and coordinated investments that will improve access to regional markets, promote value-chains development and revive cross-border and regional trade,” she said.

PROLAC and MCRP are aligned with existing regional and national strategies, including the World Bank’s Regional Integration and Cooperation Assistance Strategy which promotes collective actions to address the risks of regional economic contagion, fragility, epidemic and climate hot spots.

Continue Reading

Crime

Applicant arraigned for allegedly stealing friend’s camera worth N710,000

Published

on

Applicant arraigned for allegedly stealing friend's camera worth N710,000

A 21-year old applicant has been arraigned by the police in a Wuse  Zone 6 Chief Magistrates’ Court, Abuja, for allegedly stealing his friend’s Cannon 6D Mark2 camera worth N710, 000.

The man identified as Francis, who resides in Block C6, Same Global Estate, Darkwo District, Abuja, is been charged with two counts of housebreaking and theft.

The Prosecution Counsel, Peter Ejike, told the court that the complainant, Mr Wangel Kunsept of Block 21, Darka Street, Wuse Zone 1, Abuja, reported the matter at the Divisional Police Headquarters Wuse Zone 3, Abuja on May 13.

MORE READING!  World Bank approved $346m for projects in Nigeria, Cameroon, Chad, Niger

Ejike alleged that the defendant illegally gained entrance into the complainant’s house, broke his door and stole the camera and a pair of shoes worth N18, 000.

READ ALSO: 26-year-old man rapes neighbour’s teenage daughter in Lagos

The prosecutor alleged that during the investigation the defendant admitted to committing the crime.

MORE READING!  Man gives wife money for upkeep after court remands her, boyfriend over their plot to kill him

The offence, he said, contravened the provisions of sections 346 and 287 of the Penal Code

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.

Magistrate Linda Chidama admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N400, 000 with one surety in like sum.

Chidama ordered that the surety must be a civil servant on GL 10 or above and must reside within the court jurisdiction.

MORE READING!  Security operatives nab welder for allegedly defiling two daughters

She adjourned the matter until July 2 for hearing.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

Crime

My wife lied, incest is a taboo in Yorubaland, says man accused of raping his nine and seven-year-old daughters

Published

on

“I cannot sleep with my children. The rape could have been from an outsider and not me. I didn’t know about it.” These were the words of 48-year-old Femi Onifade, who stands accused of defiling his nine and seven-year-old daughters.

Onifade, a welder, was arrested by the personnel of the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps [NSCDC] in Ondo State after his wife, Tope, filed a complaint that he committed the act at his residence, No 27 Liberty Hospital Road, Oluwatuyi area of Akure.

But when he was paraded at the NSCDC headquarters in Alagbaka, Akure, on Monday, the suspect said it was not possible for him to have carnal knowledge of his children because such was a taboo in Yoruba land.

He suggested the crime might have been committed by an outsider, alleging his wife of 11 years raised a false alarm on him.

Femi said,

“I used to have quarrels with my wife. We had a clash around 11pm on that day and she left the house and because of the curfew in town, I didn’t want her to take the children with her. I insisted that the children must remain with me. My wife left and did not come back.

“I went to her family to report and her family begged me. My wife came back two days later and asked me what happened to the children when she examined their private parts.

“My wife accused me of sleeping with our daughters and I said I could not have done it, because it was a taboo in Yoruba land. I am not happy because I was accused of what I did not do. I went to the palace of the Deji of Akure to take an oath for people to believe me.

“I don’t drink and I don’t smoke. It is a lie. I cannot sleep with my children. The rape could have been from an outsider and not me. I didn’t know about it

“The children were crying because they did not see their mother that night. My children used to cry whenever my wife and I were fighting. It was a neighbour, who told my wife that one of the girls cried till daybreak.”

However, his wife, Tope, who vowed to quit the 11-year-old marriage, said Femi told her that what she noticed in their daughters’ private parts was evidence of dysentery when she raised the alarm over her discovery.

MORE READING!  Teacher who sexually assaulted pupils begs judge for castration, gets 12 years jail term

Tope said the children informed her that their father inserted something in their private parts and also used his mouth.

She stated,

“The day we had a quarrel, my husband did not allow me to sleep in the house. I asked neighbours to beg him on my behalf, but he said I should go. He did not allow me take any of my daughters along. I had to find somewhere to sleep. The next day, a neighbour called me to say one of our daughters cried all through the night.

“The neighbour begged me to come back home. I came back and in the night, I noticed something in one of the children’s private parts. I asked my husband and he told me it was dysentery.

“I woke up the eldest daughter and asked her and she pointed at their father. The children said their father used to put something in their private parts.”

Tope added that tests carried out on the children revealed that both had been deflowered.

MORE READING!  Nobody can stop me from second term– Obaseki

The Public Relations Officer of the NSCDC in the state, Olufemi Omole, said the suspect would soon be charged.

Continue Reading




Trending