A 42- year- old herbalist, Fidelis Osita, who allegedly cheated a businessman of N12 million on Thursday appeared in a Chief Magistrates’ Court in Ikeja, Lagos.
Osita, who resides in Ikotun, Lagos is charged with conspiracy, obtaining by false pretenses, forgery and impersonation.
The prosecution counsel, ASP Raji Akeem, told the court that the defendant committed the offence between Jan. 3, 2019 to May 25, 2019 in Ikotun, Lagos.
Akeem alleged that the defendant obtained N12 million from the complainant, Mr Emmanuel Imhanboor to clear his container and return the money within a short time.
The prosecutor alleged that the defendant forged a deed of agreement and gave to the complainant.
The prosecutor also alleged that since then, the defendant stopped picking Imhanboor ‘s call.
Akeem also alleged that the defendant paraded himself as a medical doctor in the neighbourhood.
The case, he said, was reported at the police station and the defendant was arrested.
He said the offence contravened the provisions of sections 314, 365, 380 and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State,2015.
The defendant pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Chief Magistrate O.A. Layinka admitted the defendant to bail in the sum of N1 million with two sureties in like sum.
Layinka adjourned the case until March 25 for mention.(NAN)
Gov. Sule approves establishment of mobile court to handle rape cases
Gov. Abdullahi Sule of Nasarawa State has approved the establishment of mobile court to handle cases of rape and other forms of violence against women across the state.
He gave the approval during interactive session with women groups on Friday in Lafia.
He said that issues concerning women and youths remained topmost in his agenda.
He thanked President Muhammadu Buhari “for taking appropriate measures to ensure peace reigns in the North Central and the country at large.”
He urged women and youths to take advantage of the windows of opportunities coming into the state as investors set up businesses to improve their status.
The state’s Commissioner for Women Affairs and Social Development, Hajiya Halima Jabiru, who thanked the governor for approving the establishment of the mobile court, expressed concern over the increasing rate of rape in the state and many parts of the country.
Jabiru said the court would help in bringing perpetrators to book.
She explained that the Ministry of Justice would help to produce a draft bill to be presented to the state House of Assembly.
The commissioner decried increased violation of women and girl’s rights and urged the judiciary to ensure that perpetrators of such heinous crimes, face quick and stringent penalties to serve as a deterrent to others.
She also called for the establishment of a scheme to address the issue of girl child education in the state, noting that with added support to women through the Ministry of Women Affairs, there would be improvement through multiplier effects on families and the entire society.
Mrs Aisha Isa Idoma, the Chairperson of the National Council for Women Societies (NCWS) in the state, commended the governor for completing projects initiated by his predecessors.
Idoma, who described the governor as a man of his words, commended him for carrying women along in his administration, especially with the appointment of Jabiru as Commissioner for Women Affairs.
She, however, said that the NCWS in the state, the umbrella body for all women organisations, is handicapped because it has no office to operate.
APC Woman Leader in the state, Mrs Elsie Monday, also thanked the governor for carrying women along in all political activities.
Two face trial over alleged N924, 000 rice theft
Two men, Rafiu Lawal and Taiwo Olaniyi, on Friday, appeared before an Igbosere Magistrates’ Court in Lagos for allegedly stealing 33 bags of rice worth N924, 000.
Lawal, 32, a resident of No. 2, Ogunfayo St., Eputu, Ibeju-Lekki, and Olaniyi, 42, who resides at Jakande area of Lagos, are facing a four-count charge of shop breaking, stealing, attempted murder, grievous harm, and malicious damage.
They, however, pleaded not guilty to the charge.
The prosecutor, Insp. Ingobo Emby told the court that the defendants committed the offenses on July 10, at 2:00 a.m, at Ologunfe area of Ibeju-Lekki, Lagos.
Emby said that the defendants broke into the shop of the complainant, Mr. Emmanuel Okolie, and stole the bags of rice.
“The defendants hit an iron rod on the complainant’s head in other to kill him while stealing the bags of rice.
“The duo used an Opel car with registration No.LSD 203 GE to cart away the items,” Emby said.
He said that the offenses contravened Sections 230(1), 287, 310, 339(1), and 411 of the Criminal Law of Lagos State, 2015.
The Newsmen reports that Section 287 stipulates three years of jail term for stealing.
The Magistrate, Miss M.O. Ope-Agbe granted the defendants bail in the sum of N500,000 each with two sureties in like sum.
Ope-Agbe adjourned the case until Aug. 20 for mention.
FBI ‘kidnapped’ Hushpuppi from Dubai- Lawyer alleges
A Nigerian man accused of multimillion-dollar fraud and money laundering by the United States was kidnapped by the FBI from Dubai, his lawyer says.
Ramon Olorunwa Abbas – known to his 2.5 million Instagram followers as Ray Hushpuppi – and another cyber-heist suspect Olalekan Jacob Ponle (aka Mr Woodberry) were arrested in Dubai, where they lived, in June.
They then appeared in a Chicago court on 3 July.
The United Arab Emirates has no extradition treaty with the United States but Dubai police said they had been extradited to the US.
Mr Abbas’ lawyer Gal Pissetzky told the BBC that his client, who posts on Instagram about his extravagant lifestyle, was not a criminal and had made his money legitimately.
“He is a social media influencer with millions of followers, with millions of people that respect and loved him, and he loved them, and that’s what he did. In today’s society, that’s a business,” he said.
Mr Pissetzky admits that he is not “100% familiar” with social media and his children consider him too old but he knows “that’s how people make money today”.
The Chicago defence lawyer’s argument that Hushpuppi was paid by designer brands for promotion has set the stage for what promises to be a long trial in American courts.
The Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) accuses Mr Abbas, 37, of conspiring to launder hundreds of millions of dollars from frauds known as Business Email Compromise (BEC) and other scams.
It is the latest high-profile fraud case involving a Nigerian national in the United States but his lawyer says the US had no authority to transport him from Dubai.
“In my opinion, the FBI and the government here acted illegally when they kidnapped him from Dubai without any legal process to do so,” Mr Pissetzky told the BBC.
“There was no extradition, there were no legal steps taken, there were no court documents filed, it was simply a call to the FBI. He is not a citizen of the United States, the US had absolutely no authority to take him,” his lawyer says.
But the Dubai police said in a Facebook post that the FBI director had thanked them for extraditing the two men.
“You’ll have to ask them about why they called it extradition,” the US Department of Justice (DoJ) spokesman responded in an email.
In a statement about Mr Abbas’ initial court appearance, the DoJ said “FBI special agents earlier this week obtained custody of Abbas and brought him to the United States” without giving any further details.
Mr. Pissetzky is not convinced.
“If Dubai wanted to expel him, they should have expelled him back to Nigeria. I’ve never heard of anything like that. That is the real story here.”
COVID-19 threatens young Nigerians’ well-kept secret (1) BY Tobore Ovuorie
Workers threaten strike over unpaid salary arrears in Ondo
Olu Jacobs stuns at 78
Covid-19 recoveries in Oyo exceed 900- Makinde
NAFDAC warns consumers in Borno against unregistered hand sanitisers
Davido, Wizkid will beg me for a duet – Dammy J
Samklef says Nigeria wasn’t created to work
BBNaija’s Mike Edwards is 30 today (Photos)
JUST IN: Nigeria records 627 new cases, total rises to 15,181
EU plans to lift ban on non-essential travel starting from july
George Floyd: Trump mocks teargassed protesters, says it was a beautiful scene
UK okays dexamethasone for COVID-19 treatment
Nigeria records 587 new COVID-19 cases, toll now 17,735
Hollywood producer charged with 11 sex crimes, including rape and kidnapping of four women
African native doctors hold ceremony to unleash voodoo on George Floyd’s killers (Photos/Video)
JUST IN:Nigeria records 573 new COVID-19 cases, total now 16,658
Moment man catches baby thrown from 3rd floor of burning apartment (Video)
Fade Ogunro offers to pay for formal education of young ballet dancer in viral video
Video: Enugu couple, arrested for drilling six-inch nail into 10-year-old maid’s head, accuse each other
Video: Nigerian man vandalizes his parents’ apartment over…
Watch the moment fallen tanker exploded while people were scooping fuel in Colombia (Video)
Black man attacked by group of white men in Indiana (Video)
I know my attackers, says 16-year-old gang-raped, impregnated by four men in Surulere [Video]
Man battles NCDC staff who came to take him to their center for Quarantine (Video)
Metro3 days ago
Pregnant lady gives birth after four months of being buried (Video)
General2 days ago
How a lady’s comment on social media crashed her wedding
Metro3 days ago
JUST IN: Seven killed as explosion rocks NNPC facility
General3 days ago
I’ll no longer support Trump, Kanye West reveals
General3 days ago
Remains of one of 43 students who went missing in Mexico more than five years ago identified
Entertainment3 days ago
Covid-19 vaccine will stop people from entering heaven, Kanye West
Crime3 days ago
Ikoku four: Police dismiss officers who tortured Port Harcourt mechanic to death
Politics3 days ago
JUST IN: Ondo Assembly suspends Deputy Speaker