Connect with us

Student's Life

Homegrown food distribution, a success in Lagos State – LASUBEB

Published

The Lagos State Universal Education Board (LASUBEB) says it has recorded success in the ongoing Homegrown food distribution to Schools Programme launched in Lagos on May 21.

This is contained in a statement by Mrs Eniola Adewunmi, Public Relations Officer of the board, in Lagos on Tuesday.

Adewunmi said the targeted 37, 589 households of pupils in public primary school. one to three had been concluded.

MORE READING!  'Don't leave me childless Lord', single mum cries out as her 11-year-old son goes missing

She said the Feeding Programme was anchored and financed by the Federal Government through the Federal Ministry of Humanitarian Affairs, Disaster Management, and Social Development.

She said the programme also supported by the Lagos State Government through LASUBEB was designed to see to the continued sustenance of primary school pupils in spite of the school’s closure.

“Immediately after the flag-off, the distribution of Take-Home Rations to households of pupils started in earnest in 202 centres across the 20 Local Government Education Authorities (LGEA) in the state.

“Each beneficiary received a Take-Home Ration made up of 5kg Bag of Rice, 5kg Bag of Beans, 500 ml Vegetable Oil, 750ml Palm Oil, 500mg Salt, 15 pieces of eggs and 140gm Tomato Paste.

“During the exercise, the Executive Chairman of LASUBEB, Hon. Wahab Alawiye-King, Board Members, and the Board Secretary effectively monitored the distribution exercise.

“At most of the centres visited, the chairman expressed satisfaction with the conduct of government officials at the various centres as well as the orderliness of the parents being attended to, describing the exercise as transparent,’’ she said.

Student's Life

Yam grows out of UNICAL hostel while on lockdown (Photos)

Published

on

Due to the lockdown which affected Institutions and other economic parastatals, some students who may have thought it would be called off soon left foodstuff in their hostels, some of which include yam tubers.

So some students left some tubers of yam in their hostel room while leaving the place in accordance with federal government directive on school closure.

MORE READING!  Rape victims enjoy the act after being forced, Counsellor says

Over time, due to prolonged closure of the school, the yams, however, have germinated with stems grown covering everywhere from the bed to the window.

See pictures:

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Cancellation of WASSCE will truncate future of Nigerian children – Reps

Published

on

The House of Representatives on Friday said the cancellation of the West African Senior Secondary School Examinations [WASSCE] will truncate the future of Nigerian children.

WuzupNigeria reports that the examination, administered by the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) and held yearly in May, was postponed indefinitely in April after schools were shut down across the country in a bid to contain the spread of COVID-19.

The Minister of State for Education, Chukwuemeka Nwajiuba, announced during a media briefing on July 6 that the examination will now take place between August 4 and September 5.

But the Minister of Education, Mallam Adamu Adamu, on Wednesday 8 July 2020 at the end of the Federal Executive Council (FEC) meeting presided by President Muhammadu Buhari cancelled examination, saying he would prefer that “Nigerian students lose an academic year than to expose them to dangers” of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Australian who was abducted, raped every night for months on houseboat in India shares ugly ordeal

He added that the West African Examinations Council (WAEC) cannot determine the resumption date of schools for Nigeria.

But the Chairman of the House Committee on Basic Education, Prof Julius Ihonbvare, who made the position of the House known in a statement in Abuja said the announcement by the minister was done without due consultation with relevant stakeholders in the education sector.

He said the Education Minister did not inform the country if his decision was in agreement with other West African leaders or in consultation with the examination bodies, the state governments and other stakeholders in the education sector.

He said:

“The minister also did not also inform the public, if the decision was the outcome of a meeting with all state governments that are in charge of all, but the unity secondary schools that are owned by the federal government.

“The Minister of State, in his usually consultative and participatory approach, had briefed the nation at the COVID 19 Presidential Committee briefing over the airwaves and in an appearance before the House Committee on Basic Education where he assured Nigerians that all steps had or were being taken to ensure full compliance with all COVID 19 protocols.

“This sudden policy reversal is not good for the country. It is bound to create further confusion in the education sector, create disappointment and suspicion among parents, frustrate the students and show to our development partners and Nigerians that the distortions and disarticulations in the sector are only getting worse.

“The reversal also shows that our policymakers may just be adopting a laid-back approach to the need to confront the novel coronavirus rather than taking proactive and creative steps to manage and contain it.

“The House Committee disagrees with the minister and believes that a reconsideration is urgently needed to save our educational system on the following grounds that Nigeria is not the only country expected to write the examination in the midst of Covid-19.

“Nigeria should insist that the examination be based exclusively on the already covered syllabus of schools; the Federal Ministry should not chicken out of its responsibilities but take charge, provide policy direction, engage the states and other stakeholders, while the WAEC should quadruple its invigilators and use all classrooms and event centres to conduct the examination and comply with Covid-19 protocols.”

Continue Reading

Student's Life

ASUU constructs twin-lecture hall, donates it to UNIJOS

Published

on

The University of Jos chapter of the Academic Staff Union of Universities (ASUU) has constructed a 1,000 seater capacity twin lecture hall and donated it to the University.
Speaking during the inauguration of the project on Friday at the university’s permanent site, Dr. Lazarus Maigoro, Chairperson of the union, said the project gulped N63.2 million.
According to Maigoro, the funds used for the project were drawn from the meagre salaries of members, adding that it is part of the union’s Cooperate Social Responsibility (CSR).
He said that the gesture was aimed at supporting the government to address the gross infrastructure deficit in the university.
“We have spent N63.2 million to construct this structure, and these monies were deducted from salaries of our members,” he said,
The chairperson thanked members of the union for contributing and supporting the initiative and promised to do his best to advance the course of education in the country.
Inaugurating the project, the National President of ASUU, Prof. Biodun Ogunyemi, commended the chapter for the giant stride.
According to Ogunyemi, the initiative is the first of its kind in the history of university education in Nigeria, adding that the gesture has raised the bar of the trade union patriotism.
“To the best of our recollection, this is the first time in the history of university education since 1948, that a campus-based union would conceive, implement and deliver a project of this magnitude for use by staff and students.
“ASUU at the University of Jos has just raised the bar of trade union patriotism and we salute their altruism and patriotism for this worthwhile legacy.
“This project has practically demonstrated to all ‘Doubting Thomases’ that ASUU does not revel in wishful thinking. We walk the talk,” he said.
Ogunyemi also thanked members of the union in the university for cooperating with its officials in achieving greater heights and urged them to continue the support.
Receiving the keys to the project, the Vice-Chancellor of the university, Prof. Sebastian Maimako, thanked the union for the gesture.
Represented by Prof. Ishaya Tanko, Deputy Vice-Chancellor Academics of the university, Maimako assured that the project would be put to good use.
MORE READING!  Rape victims enjoy the act after being forced, Counsellor says
Continue Reading




Trending