The source of the fire which razed a storey building at No. 44 Adebayo Street, off Ile Ile Bus Stop, Ketu in Lagos on Thursday, has been revealed.
WuzupNigeria gathered that the fire started when a boy, who wanted to cook at his parents’ apartment, switched on the gas cooker.
Eyewitnesses said the gas cylinder exploded immediately the boy put on the cooker, razing the building and inflicting severe injuries on two victims.
While neighbours ran helter-skelter to escape the inferno, some summoned courage to rescue the victims and take them to hospital for treatment.
The Director-General, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, Oluwafemi Oke-Osanyintolu, would later put the number of burnt victims at 20.
The value of properties burnt by the fire had yet to be ascertained as of the time of filing this report.
Footage of the incident as recorded by an eyewitness showed residents of the area watching as the fire consumed the building.
An eyewitness was heard saying,
“I pity the boy, who was burnt by the fire; the boy went to put on the gas cooker when his parents were not at home and the cylinder exploded and broke all the windows.”
It was learnt that residents of the area attacked the emergency responders, who were busy extinguishing the fire.
The LASEMA spokesperson, Nosa Okunbor, said,
“The LASEMA team and the fire servicemen were attacked by miscreants and residents. The emergency responders had initially doused the fire and left, but there was a pocket fire and they had to go back to extinguish it when they were attacked.”