Connect with us

Sports

How Roma’s tweet reunited missing Kenyan boy with family

Published

Henrikh Mkhitaryan’s close-season transfer to AS Roma has made a lasting impact off the pitch, helping a missing Kenyan boy reunite with his family thanks to the Italian club’s social media campaign.

An image of the child, 13, was featured on Twitter alongside one of Armenian midfielder Mkhitaryan when he completed his loan move from Arsenal earlier this month.

Roma, who have over five million followers across social media platforms, confirmed here on Twitter on Monday that the boy last seen in August had been found and returned to his family.

“Through @missingchild_ke partnership with @ASRomaEN we lit a big candle of hope to guide these children back home to their families,” Maryana Munyendo, executive director of Missing Child Kenya, a charity that has teamed up AS Roma, wrote on Twitter.

Last month, a 15-year-old girl from London was found safe and well six days after featuring in a Roma video to announce the arrival of new signing Mert Cetin.

MORE READING!  Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

READ ALSO: Champions League: Mbappe, Cavani ruled out of Real Madrid clash

In June, Roma partnered with two charities – the US-based National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and Telefono Azzurro – to launch a social media campaign in a bid to raise awareness about missing children.

“We have a massive social media following and our announcements generate incredible reach and awareness, all over the world,” Paul Rogers, head of strategy at AS Roma, said at the time of the launch.

“We thought that at the exact moment when the world’s attention is on the club’s announcement, we could use our social media channels not for self-promotion but rather to help both the National Center for Missing and Exploited Children and Telefono Azzurro find missing children.”

 

MORE READING!  Holyfield will fight Mike Tyson but on one condition...

Reuters

Sports

JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Published

on

EPL transfer deadline

The Premier League season will resume on June 17, it has been confirmed.

Manchester City versus Arsenal will be one of the first matches to be played.

Aston Villa’s home clash with Sheffield United will also be played same day to mark the return of the English top flight.

A full fixture list will then be played on the weekend of June 19 to 21, with the agreement coming after Premier League clubs met on Thursday to continue discussions over ‘Project Restart.

MORE READING!  Gernot Rohr will stay on as coach of the Super Eagles- NFF President

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Sports

Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

Published

on

Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

League champions Club Bruges will meet Royal Antwerp in the Belgian Cup final on Aug. 1, the Belgian football association said on Thursday.

The match, which is holding in spite of the rest of the 2019/2020 season having been called off, will take place behind closed doors at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels.

MORE READING!  Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

The decision was announced after the two clubs, the Belgian Pro League and football association met with city officials to sort out arrangements and police and security services gave a green light.

READ ALSO: Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

The final was originally supposed to be played on March 22 but was called off at the start of the COVID-19 health crisis.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Belgium has since ended its season early with Club Bruges declared champions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

Published

on

Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

In a bid to sign France midfielder, Paul Pogba, La Liga side, Real Madrid has offered Manchester United four players.

According to newsmen Odegaard, 21, James Rodriguez; Lucas Vazquez and ex-City midfielder Brahim Diaz are the lists of those who could be offered in part exchange.

However, Manchester United are not ready to let go of the France international.

MORE READING!  Former Serbian footballer commits suicide

Reports have it that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to pair Pogba and Bruno Fernandes; the pair trained together for the first time yesterday.

READ ALSO: Aston Villa manager Dean Smith’s father dies from COVID-19

In any case, Solskjaer wants Borussia Dortmund forward Sancho and Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish.

However, Man United have been financially strained due to the effect of the deadly coronavirus pandemic.

MORE READING!  Ighalo to become Africa’s highest paid footballer ever as Chinese club offers him £400,000 (N190m) per week

United could raise further funds by selling Pogba to Real Madrid, who are also looking to save money by snubbing outright buy deals in favour of swaps.

United revealed revenues for the first three months of 2020 were down almost £30m — while net debt soared to £429.1m.

The first 18 days of lockdown cost them £23m, with Woodward insisting: “It will not be business as usual for some time.”

Continue Reading




Trending