Connect with us

Sports

How youths, relatives celebrated Anthony Joshua’s victory in Sagamu

Published

There was wild jubilation in Sagamu on Saturday night after Anthony Joshua reclaimed the WBA, IBF, and WBO heavyweight titles by defeating Andy Ruiz Jr.

After the fight, his relatives were seen exchanging pleasantries and hugging each other.

They were seen chanting victory songs and dancing.

Amidst the family members jubilation, Joshua’s fans rocked fireworks and blocked the Cinema Street in jubilation.

MORE READING!  I was surprised Barca sold me - Carles Perez

For almost 15 minutes, vehicles could hardly move.

Joshua’s uncle, Mr Wale Joshua, commended the boxer for being humble in defeat.

“We are happy. We commend his gallantry. He made us proud and he stood by his words of wisdom. He has always told us not to be weighed down by defeat,” he added.

Also, Joshua’s uncle, Mr Ogunsanya Gbenga, said, “Our ancestors are behind him. Our forefathers are not dead. They are strongly awake to see him come to limelight again.”

MORE READING!  Ledley King becomes Mourinho's assistant at Tottenham

Head of Anthony Joshua Fans in Sagamu, identified as Mr Naira, added,

“This is the most massive we have had. The crowd is huge. Over 5000 are here.

“He should learn from earlier defeat. He should never underrate anyone regardless of their size or height. We are expecting him here after the victory.”

Sports

Police arrest NFL Star, Derrius Guice, over domestic violence

Published

on

Police in Virginia on Friday, August 7 have arrested NFL star identified as Derrius Guice on charges stemming from “three domestic-related incidents”.

According to the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office, the 23-year-old running back was taken into custody on Friday on multiple charges, including one count of felony strangulation.

Guice faces one count of strangulation, three counts of assault and battery, and one count destruction of property, a spokesman for the Loudon County Sheriff’s Office in Virginia said in an email.

MORE READING!  I was surprised Barca sold me - Carles Perez

Sheriff’s office director of media relations and communications Kraig Troxell said that the incidents happened in February, March, and April at Guice’s home in Ashburn, Virginia and the sheriff’s office was made aware of the allegations on July 22.

Police said the incidents were first reported to the Montgomery County Police Department in Maryland where the victim lives.

The allegations were investigated by the Loudoun County Sheriff’s Office Domestic Violence Unit in coordination with the Montgomery County Police Department.

MORE READING!  See what Anthony Joshua said about criticisms from fans and pundits

Guice has since been released on a $10,000 unsecured bond.

In response to his arrest, Washington’s NFL team have released the running back.

They issued a statement saying,

“On Thursday we learned of a potential domestic violence-related incident involving RB Derrius Guice.”

“We immediately alerted the National Football League and have continued to work with them during this process.”

“We then met with Derrius to inform him that he was excused from all team activity pending a review of the matter.”

“This afternoon we learned that there were multiple charges filed against Derrius.”

“Upon review of the nature of these charges ad following internal discussions, we have decided to release Derrius immediately.”

Guice was drafted by Washington in 2018.

MORE READING!  Man United unwilling to pay £108m for Sancho
Continue Reading

Sports

JUST IN: Juventus FC sack coach Maurizio Sarri after Champions League exit

Published

on

Serie A champions Juventus have sacked coach Maurizio Sarri after one season following their Champions League exit on Friday night, Italian media reported.

Corriere dello Sport and Sky said the 61-year-old had been fired.

“Maurizio Sarri has been fired, it’s all but official,” the Gazzetta dello Sport wrote on its website.

Juventus won Serie A for the ninth season in a row last month but were knocked out of the Champions League in the last 16 on Friday, losing on away goals despite a 2-1 win over Olympique Lyonnais in the second leg.

MORE READING!  EPL: Solskjaer may sell Lingard, Fred this summer, says Paul Scholes

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

Sports

Champions League: Chelsea’s squad to face Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena

Published

on

Frank Lampard

Chelsea have announced their squad to face Bayern Munich in today’s Champions League round of 16 second-leg tie at Allianz Arena.

According to Evening Standard, Chelsea manager, Frank Lampard, has released a full squad of 23 players to tackle the Bundesliga champions.

Lampard’s side lost to Bayern 3-0 few months before the COVID-19 break.

MORE READING!  Fulham return to Premier League

The Blues head to the game after losing the FA Cup final to Arsenal on August 1.

Recall that Lampard will be without three key players, Christian Pulisic, Pedro and captain Cesar Azpilicueta.

Also, Willian, who is on the verge of joining Arsenal, remains sidelined after missing Chelsea’s FA Cup final 2-1 defeat to the Gunners on August 1.

MORE READING!  I was surprised Barca sold me - Carles Perez

Below is Chelsea’s squad against Bayern:

Kepa Arrizabalaga, Antonio Rudiger, Andreas Christensen, N’Golo Kante, Ross Barkley, Tammy Abraham, Willy Caballero, Ruben Loftus-Cheek, Kurt Zouma, Mateo Kovacic, Olivier Giroud, Mason Mount, Callum Hudson-Odoi, Michy Batshuayi, Reece James, Fikayo Tomori, Jamie Cumming, Emerson Palmieri, Lewis Bate, Dynel Simeu, Henry Lawrence, Ian Maatsen, Armando Broja.

The kick-off time for the match is 8 pm.

MORE READING!  Champions League: Chelsea’s squad to face Bayern Munich at Allianz Arena

 

Continue Reading




Trending