Connect with us

Sports

I have marks all over my body, Footballer who escaped kidnappers narrates his ordeal

Published

I have marks all over my body, Footballer who escaped kidnappers narrates his ordeal

Enyimba defender, Emmanuel James, said he spent about an hour in the bush after escaping from the kidnappers that abducted his two friends and teammate Dayo Ojo and Abia Comets’ Benjamin Iluyomade.

Gunmen kidnapped Ojo and Iluyomade on Sunday around Ipele, Owo Local Government, Ondo State on their way from Aba to Akure after the League Management Company suspended the league due to coronavirus outbreak.

Ojo and Iluyomade were released on Wednesday after ransom was paid to the kidnappers.

In a chat with our correspondent, James said he was able to evade the kidnappers by escaping into the bush, while his other friends were unlucky.

“Sunday was the worst day of my life; I’ve never experienced that kind of day before. On our way from Aba, the Benin-Owo Expressway was bad, so, we had to slow down. Immediately we got to a pothole, we saw some gunmen coming out of the bush,” he said.

“Immediately we saw them, my colleague (Ojo), who was driving tried to reverse the car but they also blocked us from the back. It was during that process that I opened the door and I ran into the bush, I was in that bush for close to 40 minutes or about one hour before I managed to come out.

“As I was running in the bush, they ran after me but I didn’t stop, there were trees all around that injured me but I kept running, right now, I have marks all over my body.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bill Cosby’s team want him out of jail after prison officers tested positive 

“I then met some policemen and people from the village, who crowded the scene; they came when they heard the gunshots. I noticed that two of my friends Dayo and Benjamin had been kidnapped; they also took three other people, who were coming back from a burial ceremony, in another vehicle.

 “When I came out from the bush, everything was intact in the car, they only took my phone and Dayo’s phone, so, I drove the car to the police station and reported and then wrote a statement about the incident. They allowed me to go and have been calling me for information.”

He said he has recovered his phone after the kidnappers released his friends.

MORE READING!  Coronavirus spreads to 16 of Ogun's 20 LGAs

Sports

JUST IN: EPL to resume June 17

Published

on

EPL transfer deadline

The Premier League season will resume on June 17, it has been confirmed.

Manchester City versus Arsenal will be one of the first matches to be played.

Aston Villa’s home clash with Sheffield United will also be played same day to mark the return of the English top flight.

A full fixture list will then be played on the weekend of June 19 to 21, with the agreement coming after Premier League clubs met on Thursday to continue discussions over ‘Project Restart.

MORE READING!  Hydroxychloroquine: PTF on COVID-19 backs WHO, cautions NAFDAC

Details shortly…

Continue Reading

Sports

Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

Published

on

Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

League champions Club Bruges will meet Royal Antwerp in the Belgian Cup final on Aug. 1, the Belgian football association said on Thursday.

The match, which is holding in spite of the rest of the 2019/2020 season having been called off, will take place behind closed doors at the King Baudouin Stadium in Brussels.

MORE READING!  Aston Villa manager Dean Smith’s father dies from COVID-19

The decision was announced after the two clubs, the Belgian Pro League and football association met with city officials to sort out arrangements and police and security services gave a green light.

READ ALSO: Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

The final was originally supposed to be played on March 22 but was called off at the start of the COVID-19 health crisis.

MORE READING!  Former Serbian footballer commits suicide

Belgium has since ended its season early with Club Bruges declared champions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading

Sports

Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

Published

on

Transfer: Real Madrid offer Man Utd four players to seal Pogba deal

In a bid to sign France midfielder, Paul Pogba, La Liga side, Real Madrid has offered Manchester United four players.

According to newsmen Odegaard, 21, James Rodriguez; Lucas Vazquez and ex-City midfielder Brahim Diaz are the lists of those who could be offered in part exchange.

However, Manchester United are not ready to let go of the France international.

MORE READING!  Africa’s COVID-19 cases, deaths appear unreal, says WHO

Reports have it that Ole Gunnar Solskjaer wants to pair Pogba and Bruno Fernandes; the pair trained together for the first time yesterday.

READ ALSO: Aston Villa manager Dean Smith’s father dies from COVID-19

In any case, Solskjaer wants Borussia Dortmund forward Sancho and Aston Villa midfielder Jack Grealish.

However, Man United have been financially strained due to the effect of the deadly coronavirus pandemic.

MORE READING!  Belgian Cup final back on and set for Aug. 1

United could raise further funds by selling Pogba to Real Madrid, who are also looking to save money by snubbing outright buy deals in favour of swaps.

United revealed revenues for the first three months of 2020 were down almost £30m — while net debt soared to £429.1m.

The first 18 days of lockdown cost them £23m, with Woodward insisting: “It will not be business as usual for some time.”

Continue Reading




Trending