Connect with us

News

I THOUGHT I HAVE FINALLY FOUND LOVE! Woman, 24, sentenced to 15 years imprisonment for having sex with a 16-year-old boy

Published

A 24-year-old woman has been jailed for 15 years for having a sexual relationship with a 16 years old boy.

Ms Judith Wandera, a Kenyan, had stunned a Kisumu court after she admitted to having sex with a minor.

She claimed that she thought she had finally found ‘love’ during the four-month affair.

Wandera was on Wednesday found guilty of defilement and intentionally performing an indecent act on a minor contrary to the Sexual Offences Act, on July 5, 2017 at Kicomi area.

Seven witnesses testified against her in the case while she never presented any, only defending herself during the entire trial.

The court, after considering all the evidence presented by the complainant, ruled that it agrees the two knew each other and had sexual intercourse on numerous occasions.

MORE READING!  Govt can’t risk reopening schools now - education minister

Principal Magistrate Ms Joan Wambilyanga, in his judgment, said the two were arrested on July 17, one year after they had started getting sexually involved.

“Both admitted to having sex, sometimes protected, sometimes unprotected.

According to her, she could not tell how many times they did it,” said Ms Wambilyanga.

In her defence, Ms Wandera claimed she could not establish on the first day they met, that he was a minor.

She narrated to the court how they met and started dating, adding that looking at the physical appearances, she could not tell he was underage.

The Sexual Offences Act actually allows an accused to cite this as defence, especially when physical appearance can be deceiving. But on this occasion, the court found that the woman made no efforts to establish whether the person she was dating was actually an adult.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market

She narrated to Principal Magistrate Joan Wambilyanga how she met her dreadlocked lover in April 2016 at a pub and couldn’t tell, from his physique, that he was still in primary school.

ABUSING DRUGS

The boy had told her that he is a boda boda operator. He was also fond of abusing drugs, she said.

“We met in April 2016 on one evening at a drinking joint in Kondele. He even offered to buy me drinks and settle the bill before we exchanged phone contacts and started dating,” she told the court.

She acknowledged that her lover now looks younger, having shaved off his dreadlocks.

“The boy had dreadlocks when we met, but after being taken to juvenile prison, and he has shaven, I was surprised to see how young he looked when he came to testify,” she said.

According to the testimonies of the boy’s parents, their son was a Standard 7 pupil at Manyatta Arabs primary school but stopped attending school after meeting Ms Wandera.

MORE READING!  Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

The parents also stated that they reported the matter to the police following reports that their son had already moved in with her.

News

JUST IN: Nigeria records 387 new COVID-19 cases, total now 10162 cases

Published

on

Nigeria’s total confirmed cases of coronavirus (Covid-19) have risen to 10,162.

According to Nigeria Centre for Disease Control, NCDC, 307 new cases were recorded on Sunday with Lagos recording the highest number of 188 as usual.

Also, 13 other states and FCT recorded new cases while 3,007 patients have been treated and discharged.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG begs philanthropists for treatment centres, says Nigeria has only 5,324 bed spaces

Prompt News reports that 14 new deaths were added on Sunday, bringing the total fatalities to 287.

“307 new cases of #COVID19;

Lagos-188
FCT-44
Ogun-19
Kaduna-14
Oyo-12
Bayelsa-9
Gombe-5
Kano-3
Delta-3
Imo-2
Rivers-2
Niger-2
Bauchi-2
Plateau-1
Kwara-1

“10162 cases of #COVID19Nigeria
Discharged: 3007,/Deaths: 287

Continue Reading

News

JUST IN:Nigeria records 553 new COVID-19 cases, total now 9,855

Published

on

COVID-19 cases in Nigeria increased further on Saturday with 553 cases reported by the country, even as authorities intensify efforts to flatten the curve of the pandemic.

The new cases were confirmed by the specialist agency, the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) on Twitter.

This takes the country’s total infections to 9,855, out of which 2856 have been discharged with 273 losing their lives.

MORE READING!  Turkish mosques reopen for mass prayers

Data from the NCDC showed that the cases were spread across 14 states and the FCT, with Lagos accounting for the highest number of infections for the day with 378 cases.

553 new cases of #COVID19;

Lagos-378
FCT-52
Delta-23
Edo-22
Rivers-14
Ogun-13
Kaduna-12
Kano-9
Borno-7
Katsina-6
Jigawa-5
Oyo-5
Yobe-3
Plateau-3
Osun-1

MORE READING!  Abacha 'stole' more $1bn, SERAP tells Buhari

9855 cases of #COVID19Nigeria
Discharged: 2856
Deaths: 273

Continue Reading

News

COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market

Published

on

The Enugu State Fire Service has commenced the decontamination and fumigation of Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, against the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Addressing newsmen during the exercise on Saturday, the state’s Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Okwudiri Ohaa, said that the exercise would last until Sunday.

It would be recalled that the state fire service carried out the first phase of the exercise in the market on April 1, shortly after the market was shut down by the state government to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

MORE READING!  Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

During the first phase of the decontamination of the market, the exercise was monitored by Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and heads of security agencies in the state.

Ohaa said that the state government had been consistent with the exercise to ensure that “the fight against COVID-19 is won in Enugu State”.

He maintained that the decontamination would be a continuous one, saying that “when the market reopens, it will be a weekly event’’.

He advised residents to continue to adhere strictly to all precautionary measures for containment of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Jobless youths to clear gutters, sweep markets and get N670 daily from FG

Ohaa said the guidelines on personal hygiene protocol by World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), among others, should be adhered to.

Reacting on behalf of the traders in the market, the Chief Security Officer, Mr. Justus Ezebinagu, commended Gov. Ugwuanyi for the initiative to decontaminate the market for the second time.

Ezebinagu gave an assurance that the traders would comply strictly with the government’s precautionary measures as well as the laid-down protocols by WHO and NCDC.

“When we were told that the governor directed the fire service to come and fumigate the market, the traders were happy because this is the second time they are coming to fumigate the market since this pandemic started.

“We thank our amiable governor for coming to our aid. We are happy.

“Even though the market is partially open for now, we believe that our governor is going to do more in our collective interest,’’ he said.

Continue Reading




Trending