Connect with us

News

INEC fires REC for declaring interest in Bayelsa APC governorship ticket

Published

INEC REC

The Independent National Electoral Commission has sacked its Resident Electoral Commissioner in Cross River State Frankland Briyai after he announced he would run for governor in Bayelsa State.

Briyai had announced his resignation on Thursday to be able to contest the November 16 poll on the platform of the All Progressives Congress (APC).

But the electoral body said he had been “relieved of his duties” for using INEC’s premises to make a political announcement.

MORE READING!  Hushpuppi: I'll not glorify a religiously lunatic character by responding, Dino Melaye says

This was made known in a statement on Friday by Festus Okoye, INEC’s chairman for Information and Voter Education Committee.

“The Commission has relieved Dr. Briyai of his duties as a Resident Electoral Commissioner and withdrawn all powers delegated to him,” he said.

“While it is the right of any Commissioner or official of the Commission to resign his or her appointment and join any political party of his/her choice and to aspire for any office or position, INEC frowns at the use of its premises or facilities for any political purpose as this is unlawful and contrary to the Code of Conduct subscribed to by all its officials.”

The commission said although this declaration was done at its Cross River State office in Calabar, it is yet to receive any communication on the development from Briyai.

MORE READING!  EFCC chairman, Ibrahim Magu detained

Section 306(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria states that the resignation of such appointment takes effect on receipt of the letter of resignation by the appointing authority.

The commission, therefore, tasked its Administrative Secretary in Cross River State to take over the duties of the REC.

Consequently, the Administrative Secretary of Cross River State has been directed to oversee the office and take over the functions and duties of the REC until further notice,” it said.

News

FRSC confirms 10 dead, three injured in Bayelsa auto crash

Published

on

 The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Command in Bayelsa has confirmed ten persons dead in a road traffic accident along Tombia-Amassoma road in the state.

Mr. Robert Ogom, the Sector Commander, told the Newsmen on Thursday in Yenagoa that three persons were injured in the incident which occurred on Wednesday night.

MORE READING!  NCDC issues guideline for elections

”The incident was a head-on collision involving a truck and a 14-seater bus that had 13 persons on board.

“The impact was heavy on the bus and it caught fire, burning all the occupants. The incident occurred at about 9 p.m.

“Eight of the passengers were burnt to ashes on the spot, two others died at the Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital in Okolobiri.

MORE READING!  NEC, PTF to have further discussions on reopening of economy, schools

“By the time our personnel got to the scene, the driver of the truck had run away,” he said.

Ogom blamed the crash on the bad lighting system and speeding by both drivers.

“Drivers should always ensure that their vehicles are in order before entering the road. They should also avoid speeding and dangerous driving,” he advised.

MORE READING!  Woman attempts suicide in Anambra
Continue Reading

News

Lawyer drags Buhari, Senate to court over appointment of Judges

Published

on

Oladimeji Felix Ekengba, a legal practitioner, Thursday dragged President Muhammadu Buhari, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, among others before a Federal High Court, Abuja over the alleged breach of Section 256(2) of the Nigerian Constitution, 1999 in the appointment of judges of the FCT High Court.

In the suit with number: FHC/ABJ/CS/733/2020, Ekenogba held that President Buhari breached some constitution provisions when on July 7 he forwarded the names of 11 persons to the Senate, who include, Abubakar Useni Musa, Edward Okpe, B. Abubakar, M. Francis, Jude Nwabueze, Josephine Enobi, Christopher Opeyemi, Mohammed Idris, Hassan Maryam Aliyu, Fashola Akeem Adebowale and Hamza Muazu, to be appointed as judges of the FCT High Court.

MORE READING!  FRSC confirms 10 dead, three injured in Bayelsa auto crash

The president had forwarded the names to the Senate for confirmation.

Defendants in the suit are President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Senate, the Clerk of the Senate, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, and the National Judicial Council.

In the suit, which includes an originating summons, motion on notice and motion ex parte, the lawyer urged the court to make an order of interim injunction restraining the respondents from screening, confirming and/or swearing in the names of the persons as judges of the FCT High Court, pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

In the main motion filed by the lawyer in person, he wants the court to make a declaration that “by virtue of the provision of Section 256(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria cannot abdicate his duties and responsibilities to the Senate for the appointment of persons as judges of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory.

MORE READING!  324 stranded Nigerians expected from Turkey

“A declaration that the forwarding of the names of Abubakar Useni Musa, Edward Okpe, B. Abubakar, M. Francis, Jude Nwabueze, Josephine Enobi, Christopher Opeyemi, Mohammed Idris, Hassan Maryam Aliyu, Fashola Akeem Adebowale, and Hamza Muazu all recommended by the National Judicial Council to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as judges of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory cannot be subjected to the Senate for screening and confirmation contrary to and in breach of Section 256(2) of the Constitution of Nigeria, 1999 as amended.”

MORE READING!  APC will win Edo governorship election — Gov. Ganduje

The lawyer held that the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad and the NJC yielded to the clamor for more judges in the FCT High Court to ease the workload on the FCT High Court to meet the cosmopolitan nature of the FCT, but “it is absurd that the President decided to purport to send only 11 names out of the 33 names painstakingly and thoroughly screened/interviewed and recommended by the NJC to the President since April this year.”

The case is yet to be assigned and the date has been fixed for hearing.

Continue Reading

News

Moment U.S based Ghanaian rapper, Jay Gunz was shot dead in his home (Video)

Published

on

The CCTV footage of the moment U.S based Ghanaian rapper Jay Gunz was shot dead has been released.

Jay Gunz was shot dead during a shoot out in his home in Bronx, New York on Sunday, July 5th, 2020.

The footage was released by the New York Police Department, which reacted to the rapper’s death by releasing a video from the shootout.

MORE READING!  Ortom mourns as 23 die in Benue boat mishap

The CCTV footage shows the moment Jay was attacked with two others in their home Bronx, New York. Sharing the video, the New York Police Department wrote;

“On Sunday, July 5th, Police Officers from the 44 Precinct responded to a 911 call for a male shot at 306 East 171 Street.

“Upon arrival, they discovered three males with gunshot wounds. Two of the victims, later died from their injuries, while one remains hospitalized.”

 

Continue Reading




Trending