Connect with us

News

IPMAN says they can’t sell petrol at N121.5 per litre

Published

IPMAN says they can’t sell petrol at N121.5 per litre

The Oil marketers in Nigeria on Tuesday said it was impossible for its members to sell petrol at the new government-regulated N121.5 per litre.

Acting under the aegis of Independent Petroleum Marketers Association of Nigeria (IPMAN), the marketers said they have directed their members to sell petrol at N123.5 per litre.

Reacting to the new price announced by the Petroleum Pricing Regulatory Agency (PPPRA), IPMAN said the agency has advised them to either sell at the new pump price or adjust to what will make Nigerians happy.

MORE READING!  Army, police, others collected N44bn bribe during lockdown

And as such, they accordingly instructed their marketers to comply with the advice of the government and adjust to N123.5 per litre pending the Deport Petroleum Marketers Association’s action on the new pump price.

The IPMAN Chairman Kano chapter, Alhaji Bashir Danmallam, in a statement in Kano, urged marketers under his jurisdiction to comply with the new price modulation advice by ensuring that no one sells above the approved N123.5 per litre.

READ ALSO: FG releases guidelines for reopening of worship centres

In the circular, the PPPRA advised marketers to sell fuel, not above N123.5 per litre.

“After a review of the prevailing market fundamentals in May and considering marketers’ realistic operating costs, as much as practicable, we wish to advise of a new PMS guiding pump price with corresponding Ex-Depot price for the month of June, 2020, as follows: Price Band: N121. 50 — B123. 50 per litre. Ex-Depot price:N102.13–N104.13 per litre. Ex-Depot for collection:N109.78–N111. 78 per litre.

“All marketers are advised to operate within the indicative prices as advised by the PPPRA,” the circular said.

Danmallam assured the public of a steady supply and distribution of petroleum products at all times and in all circumstances, praying also that God should put an end to the pandemic.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records new cases of coronavirus,total now

He advised both the public and marketers to continue to observe all public health measures of personal hygiene and social distancing to curtail the spread of the virus.

Advertisement
Click to comment

News

Lalong self-isolates as commissioner tests positive for COVID-19

Published

on

Plateau state governor, Simon Lalong and other members of the state executive council have gone into self-isolation after Abe Aku, commissioner for commerce and industry, tested positive for COVID-19.

Dan Manjang, the commissioner for information and communication, disclosed this in a statement issued on Wednesday.

According to him, Lalong also ordered members of the council to get tested for COVID-19.

“Based on the Governor’s directive specimens of the Commissioners are to be taken and forwarded to the COVID-19 Laboratory at The National Veterinary Research Institute (NVRI), Vom for testing,” Manjang said.

“During the period and pending the outcome of the results, members of the public are advised to be guided by unnecessary visits to members of the State Executive Council while they isolate.

“This action is to not only prevent the possible spread of the disease but also show leadership by example.”

The commissioner added that Lalong and his family members had earlier tested negative for the virus, and urged people in the state to submit their samples for testing as this “will reveal the rate of infection and facilitate treatment to save lives”.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Lagosians can now get tested for N50,400
Continue Reading

News

Independent candidacy: ECOWAS court dismisses suit against Nigeria

Published

on

ECOWAS

The Economic Community of West African State (ECOWAS) Court of Justice has dismissed a suit by Obinna Umeh and six others, challenging Nigeria’s laws, which bars independent candidacy in election contests.

A three-member panel of justices presided by the court’s President, Justice Edward Asante, held that Nigeria did not breach any convention or charter.

The case was brought before the court in November 2018 by Obinna Umeh, Kenneth Roberts, Dr. Matthew Oguche and Emmanuel Agada.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records new cases of coronavirus,total now

They urged the court to compel Nigeria to allow independent candidates to contest in elections.

They argued that the mandatory membership of political parties as pre-requisite to contest elections infringed on their right to vote and be voted.

They argued it also infringed on their human rights as enshrined in the African Charter and Universal Declaration on Human Rights, International Covenants on Civil and Political Rights to which Nigeria is a signatory.

However, Nigeria argued that the ECOWAS Court had no jurisdiction to entertain the suit which has direct bearing on its constitution.

MORE READING!  Court grants Maina’s plea for further bail variation

The community court said it had examined all treaties and protocols that Nigeria is signatory to and it were clear the country had not erred in its laws.

The presiding judge also said it was only a matter of common sense that giving the population and diversity of Nigeria, allowing for independent candidacy will be almost impossible to handle.

“Law also in a way goes with common sense. It is clear that a country with a population of over 200 million, if in an election, 400 people decide to contest the presidency, you are going to have a ballot paper of over 50 pages.”

“That is why the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as well as the Electoral Laws thought it wise to make people belong to such groups.

 

MORE READING!  FG to repatriate 39 Nigerians detained by Ghana for illegal entry
Continue Reading

News

Army won’t dialogue with bandits, says Buratai

Published

on

The Chief of Army Staff, Lt.-Gen. Tukur Buratai, has said that the military will not engage in dialogue with bandits or any criminal to bring an end to insecurity.

Buratai stated this at a news conference to mark the commencement of the Nigerian Army Day Celebration (NADCEL) 2020 on Wednesday at the Army Special Super Camp, Faskari, Katsina State.

He said that dialogue with criminals was not a military option in dealing with insecurity, adding that he did not believe in dialogue with bandits.

“May be when I drop the uniform, I may consider that but for now, it is not the military option,” he said.

Buratai, however, explained that if the civil authorities decided to go for dialogue, the military would have no option than to support them to achieve peace.

As far as the Nigerian army is concerned, dialogue is not an option; it is not on our table; it is absolutely political decision.

“Some newspapers quoted me as saying that the troops should move into the bush and defeat them tactically; that is our mission and that is what we want to achieve. Anything short of that will only prolong the insecurity.

“So we are determined to deal with them in the bush or wherever they are, even in the town and cities. We will deal with them accordingly,” he said.

Buratai also described false the allegations that the troops were not always responding to distress calls from some communities during attacks by bandits.

MORE READING!  Aisha Buhari pledges support to families of fallen heroes

He said that the allegations were being promoted by those who had decided to politicise the security situation in the affected places.

According to him, those who often propagate false allegations always go behind to apologise to the authorities.

While accusing politicians of always trying to drag the military into the political domain, the COAS, however, said that army personnel would continue to remain professional in the discharge of their constitutional roles.

“It is unfortunate that some politicians are taking military operations beyond what it should be, that is, to the political domain.

“All those allegations are false. We are a professional army; we are responsive, and I have always stressed that we must be responsive to our operational needs, to the challenges of our country and to our troops’ welfare.

“Some have even gone further to say that the Nigerien forces are coming in to intervene to deal with bandits in our territory.

“We will continue to resolve any insecurity that comes.

“We will only be seen not to have done anything when we don’t respond, but on all the insecurities across the country, whether in the North-East or North-West, a lot has been achieved,” he said.

Buratai, who said that security challenges were dynamic in nature, called on Nigerians to support the military in tackling the menace.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: No entry for Nigerians, Americans into Europe

He stated that NADCEL was an annual event being organised by the Nigerian army celebrate its fallen heroes and review all its activities from inception so as to know how far it had gone.

According to him, NADCEL 2020 is combined with an operation that is aimed at showcasing the army’s capability and capacity to address the security challenges, not only in the North but also, across the country.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Lagosians can now get tested for N50,400

Newsmen report that the week- long event has as its theme:

“Nigeria’s Territorial Defence and Sovereignty: the Imperative for Nigerian Army’s Sustained Training and Operations.

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

 

Continue Reading




Trending