Connect with us

Sports

Manchester United target Jadon Sancho to leave Dortmund this summer

Published

Jadon Sancho

Manchester United are reportedly keen on signing Jadon Sancho as he is expected to leave Borussia Dortmund this summer.

The forward, who turns 20 next month, has become a full England international since joining Dortmund from Manchester City in 2017.

He is expected to feature at the Euro 2020 finals this summer and has regularly been linked with a move to the Premier League.

MORE READING!  See what Anthony Joshua said about criticisms from fans and pundits

Sky in Germany reporter Jesco von Eichmann told Sky Sports News:

“He will leave Dortmund this summer, that’s for sure.

“It’s not clear to which club he will change.

“Manchester United is one of the big clubs that are interested, that I’ve heard.

“Michael Zorc, the director of Dortmund, said last week in an interview that he hasn’t had an offer for Jadon Sancho yet. Today, I asked him again, and he just smiled!

“There will be some offers for Sancho in the future. He is improving. He was very tired at the end of the first part of the season but now he’s very fit and performing very good. He improved his behaviour.

“He had some trouble coming in on time – he came more or less late every day. He changed that and he is really improving.

“He is working hard in training so (head coach) Lucien Favre is pretty happy with him right now.

“I guess he thought over some things in the winter break and now he is working like the professional that he wasn’t before.

Sports

Bruno Fernandes fires Manchester United into Europa League semi-finals

Published

on

Bruno Fernandes’s extra-time penalty edged Manchester United through to the Europa League semi-finals as Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s side toiled to victory against gutsy FC Copenhagen.

An overturned penalty, two disallowed goals, and efforts of the woodwork frustrated the Old Trafford giants during a goalless 90 minutes in which the Danish side looked dangerous despite failing to register a shot on target.

Fernandes would save the day from the spot in extra time, securing a 1-0 victory and a last-four date against Wolves or Sevilla back at Stadion Koln this Sunday.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Lyon dump Juventus out of Champions League

Solskjaer will need a vastly-improved performance if they are to get any further than that, though, as their tired, sloppy play was compounded by Copenhagen playing with the intensity you would expect from a side in their first-ever European quarter-final.

United struggled to find a rhythm in the stifling Cologne heat but had the better of the chances, with the VAR ruling out a penalty and then Mason Greenwood’s emphatic strike in the first half.

MORE READING!  See what Anthony Joshua said about criticisms from fans and pundits

Marcus Rashford saw a goal ruled out for offside before Fernandes hit a post in the second period, with Anthony Martial superbly denied as regulation time wound down.

The match was on a knife-edge as play headed into extra time, which was just five minutes old when Fernandes scored from a spot-kick won by Martial.

MORE READING!  NTTF considers organizing 2020 Nigeria Open before end of year

Copenhagen retained hope as goalkeeper Karl-Johan Johnson produced a string of superb saves and Victor Lindelof became the latest to hit the goal frame, but there was to be no late leveler for Stale Solbaken’sdogged side.

Continue Reading

Sports

I’m yet to receive Olympic gold medal won in ’96 – Ex-Super Eagles coach

Published

on

A former coach of the Super Eagles, Johannes-Franciscus Bonfrere, says he is yet to receive his Olympic gold medal more than two decades after leading the team to victory in Atlanta, USA.

The Dutch technical expert was in charge of the Nigerian under-23 football team that won Africa’s first-ever Olympic gold medal in football at the 1996 games.

Bonfrere managed the team which had quality players like Jay-Jay Okocha, Nwankwo Kanu, Emmanuel Amuneke, Sunday Oliseh, Daniel Amokachi, Celestine Babayaro, Taribo West, Victor Ikpeba, amongst others.

MORE READING!  See what Anthony Joshua said about criticisms from fans and pundits

The team defeated Brazil 4-3 in the semi-final before beating a very coordinated Argentina side 3-2 in the final.

In an interview with BCOS TV, the former Super Eagles coach said that 24 years after leading Nigeria to the glorious outing in the USA, he is yet to receive his gold medal.

“I have not been given the Olympic gold medal we won in 1996. After we celebrated our victory over Argentina at the final, I was prevented from climbing the podium to receive my medal.

“They said mine was not available. I was annoyed and refused to return with the team to Nigeria. I went to Holland instead. It is unfair that after bringing glory to Nigeria, I was denied of my rewards,” he said.

Recall that in June 2018, minister of works and housing, Babatunde Fashola, handed over the keys of a house allocated to Bonfrere in fulfilment of Nigerian government’s pledge to him 26 years ago for winning the 1994 African Cup of Nations.

MORE READING!  Man City vs Real Madrid: Clarence Seedorf predicts Champions League clash

 

 

Continue Reading

Sports

NTTF considers organizing 2020 Nigeria Open before end of year

Published

on

The Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF) is considering organizing before the end of the year the 2020 Nigeria Open Table Tennis Tournament, which was held back due to the coronavirus pandemic.

Ishaku Tikon, the President of Nigeria Table Tennis Federation (NTTF), disclosed this to the News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) on Monday in Abuja.

“We have been thinking about this, against the backdrop of the resumption of non-contact sports in the country.

“But the federation is yet to get clarification from the Federal Ministry of Youths and Sports Development on the directive by the Presidential Task Force (PTF) on COVID-19.

MORE READING!  See what Anthony Joshua said about criticisms from fans and pundits

“That pronouncement by the PTF mentioned non-contact outdoor sports, and table tennis is an indoor sport.

“So, we want to get clarification from the ministry, to know if what the PTF said about outdoor was in error. Otherwise, players and officials are ready to get back to court,” he said.

On the return of competitions, Tikon said 2020 has a busy schedule both for the federation and the International Table Tennis Federation (ITTF).

MORE READING!  Europa League fixtures: Man Utd, Inter Milan in action as quarter-finals begin

“But the halt in activities affected the year’s program.

“We will now be activating the programs we have for the year, although we will be taking into consideration ITTF’s plans before we schedule ours.

“For instance, this month of August is usually when we have the Nigeria Open which attracts so many foreign players to the country. But due to COVID-19, we were not able to prepare early.

“So, we are looking at the possibility of securing a window (from ITTF) to organize the event.

MORE READING!  Bale must leave on loan - Former Real Madrid President

“But we will still have to reconcile whatever plans we have with that of the international body,” he said.

The NTTF president also said the federation would begin the decontamination of its venues in Lagos and also reach out to the states to do the same thing.

“This will be done in adherence to the COVID-19 safety measures, and it will be before competitions and training will commence,’’ he said.

Continue Reading




Trending