Connect with us

Sports

Jonathan Afolabi joins Celtic, signs three years deal

Published

Scottish champions Celtic have announced the signing of Jonathan Afolabi on a free transfer.

The forward completed his move with the side after leaving Premier League side Southampton.

Afolabi, who signed a three-year deal, is delighted with the move and looks forward to continuing his development with the Scottish club.

“It’s been great so far. This is a big move for me and everything has been going well so far.

“The boys have been very welcoming, the fans have been great as well, and I’m delighted to be part of this family now. I can’t wait to drive forward from here,” Afolabi told the club website.

“I know Luca Connell from when we travelled to Russia to play in the European qualifiers for the Ireland U19s, and I likewise know Barry Coffey from the international set-up too.

“Celtic is just a stand-out team for me, and they have a great reputation of bringing youngsters from the Academy through the ranks.

“This is a great club, with a great history, and a great place for me to be a part of. I look forward to helping out in the seasons ahead.

“The club has great facilities, and a great winning mentality, which is what I want to be a part of.

“My goal here is to be part of a winning squad, adopt that winning mentality, and learn from the boys. If I can learn from the senior players, I’ll hopefully have the chance to play in front of these great fans.

“With such a talented pool of players, it’s going to take time and hard work to break in, to prove myself to the manager and the dressing room – but that’s something I would have to do anyway hopefully I can get a bit of time on the pitch in the future to showcase what I’ve got.”

Afolabi has represented the Ireland U19 team but he is still eligible to play for Nigeria.

MORE READING!  Valencia confirm two COVID-19 cases

The forward could make his debut when Celtic take on Hearts in a Scottish Premiership game on Sunday, August 25.

 

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Sports

Mexico’s third tier club, Coyotes Tlaxcala, ‘court’ Cristiano Ronaldo

Published

on

Cristiano Ronaldo has been told how “handsome” he would look in the kit of a Mexican third tier side.

Coyotes Tlaxcala made the flirty transfer approach to the Juventus star on Twitter amid rumours over his future.

The team based in the state of Tlaxcala – just east of Mexico City – mocked up a picture of Ronaldo in their red camo style kit accompanied by a witty caption.

MORE READING!  Europa League: Man United, Inter through to semifinal

They wrote:

“Did you see how handsome you would look with the Coyotes, my commander @Cristiano Ronaldo?

“But, you strawberries, tell Juventus to answer the phone to us.”

Continue Reading

Sports

Barca reject RB Leipzig, Gladbach offers for Ilaix Moriba

Published

on

Barcelona have turned down Borussia Monchengladbach and RB Leipzig’s approaches for highly-rated 17-year-old midfielder, Ilaix Moriba.

According to AS Sport, the German outfits wanted to take him on loan, but Barca are not interested in letting him go.

Ilaix Moriba is one of the most promising young people in Europe. Despite being a first-year youth, the midfielder has already established himself in the midfield of Garcia Pimienta’s Barça B and in the U-17 team.

MORE READING!  Gattuso speaks on Pirlo's Juventus appointment, says he's screwed

Sports director Eric Abidal is very confident in the progression of the midfielder and wants him to be the leader of Barça B next season.

Continue Reading

Sports

Man City goalkeeper, Claudio Bravo, set to join Real Betis

Published

on

Manchester City goalkeeper Claudio Bravo is set to join La Liga side Real Betis, according to reports.

Bravo was one of Manchester City’s first signings for Pep Guardiola and the Chilean quickly replaced Joe Hart as the first-choice goalkeeper.

Brazilian international Ederson has emerged as the new number one, though Bravo managed 17 appearances last season.

MORE READING!  Juve new coach, Pirlo, declares Ramsey surplus to requirement

The 37-year-old is wanted by new Real Betis manager Manuel Pellegrini, with Goal.com reporting that the ‘keeper is willing to take a paycut to facilitate a move.

Bravo is best known for his time in Spain as Barcelona’s goalkeeper when he shared duties with Marc-Andre ter Stegen before being forced into the reserve role.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Juventus FC sack coach Maurizio Sarri after Champions League exit

The Chilean was also linked with moves to Arsenal, Celtic, Galatasaray and City-affiliated group New York City FC.

Bravo will remain with the club until the conclusion of their Champions League involvement, with the side due to play Lyon in Lisbon as part of UEFA’s mini end-of-season tournament.

Continue Reading




Trending