Connect with us

News

Kogi Decides: Thugs attack journalists in Ayingba

Published

Some thugs suspected to belong to one of the political parties participating in the Governorship and National Assembly elections in Kogi State have reportedly attacked journalists covering the election in the state.

The News Agency of Nigeria reports that Sam Egwu of the Leadership newspaper and Sunday Omachi of Radio Kogi were attacked by the thugs at Ayaingba.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Osun locks down four LGs

Both journalists were on election duty when they were attacked by the hoodlums at Unity Roundabout, Ayaingba.

Meanwhile, the Commissioner of police in the state, Akeem Busari, said reinforcements had been sent to Ayaingba to bring the situation under control.

Busari, however, has yet to confirm arrests over the incident.

MORE READING!  Panic as NCDC official supervising COVID-19 response in zamfara dies of the disease

 

NAN

News

Ghana reopens 600 Nigerian shops after six months

Published

on

Over Six Hundred (600) shops belonging to Nigerian traders in Ghana have been reopened to business by the Ghanaian government has been under lock and key for over six months.

According to a statement signed on Tuesday by Gabriel Odu of Media, Public Relations and Protocol Unit of the Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM) the President, National Association of Nigerian Traders (NANTS) Ken Ukaoha disclosed this on Solidarity visit to the Chairman/CEO, Nigerians in the Diaspora Commission (NIDCOM), Abike Dabiri-Erewa, Tuesday, in Abuja.

MORE READING!  Announce sanctions against organizations that support terrorism in Nigeria, CESJET charges UN over Helicopter attack

Ukaoha stated that the visit to NIDCOM is to commend and appreciate the Chairman/CEO Hon Abike Dabiri-Erewa for her untiring and unrelenting efforts in resolving the lockdown of Nigerian shops in Ghana for over six months.

Ukaoha believes that the ECOWAS Protocol of the Free Movement of Persons, Goods, and Services shouldn’t be observed in breach but rather be observed in the spirit of brotherhood and diplomatic reciprocity.

MORE READING!  Panic as NCDC official supervising COVID-19 response in zamfara dies of the disease

In a similar development, Abike Dabiri-Erewa lauded the NANTS led by its Ukaoha for appreciating NIDCOM’s role in the reopening of Nigerian shops in Ghana, the statement said.

She also thanked President Muhammadu Buhari and stated that the intervention was multi-level especially at the highest level of diplomacy and bilateral relations between Ghana and Nigeria. Dabiri-Erewa urged Nigerian traders in Ghana to always obey the laws of their host country and conduct themselves with respect and dignity.

MORE READING!  CBN’s adjustment of naira rate will cause inflation- NECA

It could be recalled that shops belonging to Nigerian traders in Ghana have been on lockdown since December 2019.

The reopening of the shops may also have been connected with the effort being made by the Ghanaian Government to appease the Nigerian government in order to resolve the recent face-off with Nigeria over the demolition of a residential building within the premises of the Nigerian High Commission in Accra, the Ghanaian capital.

Continue Reading

News

Why probing Atiku, Saraki and myself for connection with Hushpuppi is a huge joke, Timi Frank explains

Published

on

Former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Comrade Timi Frank, on Tuesday, described the call for the investigation of former Vice President Atiku Abubakar, ex-Senate President, Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki, ex-Speaker, House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, Senator Dino Melaye and himself as a huge joke.

A suspected Nigerian internet fraudster, Ramon Abbas, popularly known as Hushpuppi was recently arrested in Dubai and extradited to the United States of America (USA) where he is currently facing trial.

Following his arrest, the All Progressives Congress (APC) had called for the probe of some Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) chieftains, including Atiku, Saraki, Dogara, Melaye, and Frank for appearing in certain photographs with the suspect.
However, the PDP in a statement described the call for the arrest and probe of some of its prominent members over alleged links to Hushpuppi as “reckless and irresponsible,” saying it further exposed a victimization agenda of the APC.

Atiku, Saraki, and Dogara have also in separate statements denied any business connection with the suspect.

Frank in a statement in Abuja, said the photographs under reference were taken at a public function and therefore cannot be proof that any of them had business dealings with the suspect.

MORE READING!  Ghana reopens 600 Nigerian shops after six months

The Bayelsa-born Political Activist said:

“That Hushpuppi was privileged to be in a function where he took pictures with His Excellency Alhaji Atiku Abubakar, former Senate President, Dr Abubakar Bukola Saraki, former Speaker Yakubu Dogara, Senator Dino Melaye, and my humble self, does not prove that any of us had business dealings of any kind with him.

“Hushpuppi is a Nigerian that was in a function with Nigerians and like any other Nigerian, asked for a photo session with these Nigerian leaders which they obliged.

“I understand that this is beyond the comprehension of the APC’s regime, especially the Head of State, Rtd. Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari, because Nigerians loathe them and run away from them whenever they come across them in foreign countries, hence they are trying to rope us into imaginary business dealings with Hushpuppi.

“Does the APC think that the USA and its security agencies, like the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI), make arrests before the investigation?

“Does the APC government not realize that investigation was carried out before Hushpuppi was arrested?

“America is not Nigeria where the APC’s militant wing, alias the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) and other security agencies, go about harassing innocent citizens even before any investigation is carried out.

“We know that the APC’s government and its sycophantic town criers are very good at weaving lies, propaganda, stealing and embezzling of public funds, supporting Boko Haram insurgents, bandits and protecting APC political Hushpuppies like the cabals in the Villa who before 2015 were in debt and extreme poverty, but have within the last five years of Buhari’s regime become multibillionaires.

“They even acquired Etisalat, now known as 9Mobile, Keystone Bank, etc. Some of these APC political hushpuppies even had bullion vans in their houses during the 2019 presidential election campaigns.

“We have seen an APC governor open a bank in his ‘Babariga’ where he openly pocketed huge amounts of dollars without personal shame or repercussions from this government.

“We have seen billions of dollars frittered away at the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC), Federal Inland Revenue Service (FIRS), and other government agencies under the APC regime.

“Even the Attorney-General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, last week, called for the sack of the head of the EFCC over corruption allegations. The EFCC boss, Ibrahim Magu, is presently being quizzed by a Presidential Panel constituted by this regime.

“What can be more embarrassing to a country than for the head of its anti-graft crusade to be indicted for corruption?

“APC and this regime should bury their head in shame as this is the most corrupt democratic administration in the history of our beloved country.

“If Hushpuppi had been extradited to Nigeria, this corrupt and clueless Buhari-led APC regime would have set him free.

“The FBI does not need anybody to urge them to act or investigate any individual if they have evidence against anybody they will do the needful as they are professionals in their job.

“Finally, Buhari and the APC should stop wasting time sponsoring unnecessary protests, rather they should focus on delivering the fake promises they made to Nigerians during their electioneering campaigns and to think of how to repay all the debts they have accumulated through incessant foreign and local loans.

END

MORE READING!  Panic as NCDC official supervising COVID-19 response in zamfara dies of the disease

Comrade Timi Frank
Political Activist and former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of the APC
Abuja.

Continue Reading

News

NCDC issues guideline for elections

Published

on

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has issued a guideline for safely conducting state and local government elections, especially as the COVID-19 pandemic threatens.

It urged the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC), parties, politicians and election monitors to place a premium on the lives of the electorate by adhering strictly to the guideline and bearing in mind that the deadly virus thrives in a mass gathering.

The government encouraged all to comply with protective measures – limiting mass gathering, ensuring physical distancing of at least two metres, promoting hand hygiene and mandatory use of face masks.

The Director-General of the NCDC, Dr Chikwe Ihekweazu, disclosed this yesterday in Abuja during the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Hushpuppi: I'll not glorify a religiously lunatic character by responding, Dino Melaye says

He said:

“Today we are announcing and launching a new guideline for the conducting of elections during the COVID-19 outbreak in Nigeria.

“Some states will be holding state and local government elections this year, being the first time we are holding elections of this significance during the pandemic.

“Therefore, we have developed this guideline to support everyone involved – parties, INEC, but most critically, Nigerians that will be going to vote in these difficult times.

“Voting still remains a civic responsibility and although we are in the middle of a pandemic, we have to find a way of doing this safely and we have to adapt to the new normal.

“As we know, the virus thrives in mass gathering, so there is a challenge we have in the way we have conducted our elections –  pre-elections, during elections and post-elections. So, in doing this guideline, we try and offer advice on how to do this safely.”

The NCDC boss added:

“We strongly encourage the use of television, radio, mobile vans, social media and other forms of communication as our politicians solicit votes.

“We advise careful adherence to mass gathering guidelines. Unfortunately, the virus doesn’t recognise whether we are conducting elections, religious gatherings or business settings – it just thrives when people come together.

“We have provided specific guidelines for theses settings and none of them will be surprising and we’ll be explicit about it.

“We urge our political leaders to take responsibility and lead by example. Leadership will be critical in this era and we advise them to think of the lives of the electorate first. The electorate staying alive is much more important than any vote you can win.”

Continue Reading




Trending