Connect with us

News

Kogi gets fresh N30bn bail out fund from FG

Published

Kogi condoles Buhari over Kyari’s death

The Governor of Kogi State Yahaya Bello on Monday revealed that his administration has received a fresh N30.8 billion bailout fund from the Federal Government.

Bello revealed this in Lokoja while performing the groundbreaking ceremony of a new chapel in the Government House.

He said that the fund was the balance of the N50 billion bailout fund which his administration had earlier requested for.

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that this brings to N50 billion the total amount received by the state as bailout fund on behalf of the state and local government councils.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records highest COVID-19 deaths in West Africa as toll hits 7,839

Bello said that the money would be used to clear the four months of salary arrears being owed workers and pensioners in the state.

I want to thank President Muhammadu Buhari for approving our latest request for bailout.

“I also thank the Attah of Igala for leading our traditional leaders to the president to strongly make our case.

“I thank the CBN Governor and everyone else in the value chain who helped to facilitate the money,” Bello said.

The governor, who highlighted his administration’s efforts to improve the security, health and education sectors in the state, promised to deliver more dividends of democracy to the people.

MORE READING!  Judge sacks Yahaya Bello as Kogi governor but it won't stand

According to him, the decision to build a chapel was to ensure fairness to all the adherents of Islam and Christianity.

“Today, we are gathered here to flag off the construction of a building which will not just be a house of worship for Christians but also a symbol of access, welcome and inclusion,” he stated.

The governor commended the people for their peaceful co-existence, urging them to sustain it in the overall interest of the state.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records 265 new COVID-19 cases, total now 7,526

 

NAN

health

Two military men test positive for coronavirus in Bayelsa

Published

on

Two military men have tested positive for coronavirus [COVID-19] in Bayelsa State, an official announced in a statement on Monday.

According to the deputy chairman of the Bayelsa State COVID-19 Task Force, Dr Inodu Apoku, the duo were part of the three new cases announced for the state by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control [NCDC] on Sunday.

MORE READING!  Judge sacks Yahaya Bello as Kogi governor but it won't stand

Apoku said the third patient was a household contact to the two military officers.

The three new confirmed cases brought to four the number of cases Bayelsa had recorded within three days.

The total number of confirmed cases in the state currently stands at 11 with five active cases while six patients had been discharged and no death recorded so far.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records highest COVID-19 deaths in West Africa as toll hits 7,839

Apoku, who is also the permanent secretary in the Ministry of Health, said,

“The three new cases announced yesterday are a cohort. They were referred to us by a medical doctor.

“Their cases were investigated, and samples collected. They are also not epidemiologically linked to any of our previously confirmed cases but admitted to recent travel histories to Lagos and Delta States.

“Two of them are military men while the third is a household contact to one of the two. They are all males.”

He said they had been evacuated to one of the state’s isolation centres and were all clinically stable and receiving medical care.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 215 UK returnees test negative for Covid-19
Continue Reading

health

Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital confirms first case of COVID-19

Published

on

Authorities of the Nnamdi Azikiwe University Teaching Hospital (NAUTH), Nnewi, have confirmed that one case of coronavirus has been recorded in the hospital.

Prof. Anthony Igwegbe, the Chief Medical Director (CMD) of the hospital, disclosed this on Monday, NAN reports.

Igwegbe said the patient was diagnosed with the virus following a test upon getting to the hospital.

According to him, the test result was released on May 23.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Lagos rolls out guidelines to reopen businesses post-lockdown

He also said that the patient was immediately moved to one of the isolation centres in Anambra State for treatment.

He said,

“The patient was quickly moved from our isolation ward to the Anambra State Treatment Centre last night for care and treatment.

“The patient, a male trader resident in Onitsha was admitted to the isolation ward following proper triage on his presentation on May 20.

“Specimen for test was taken the following day and sent to Irrua.”

The CMD further stated that a suspect was earlier taken in, but test sample was not taken before the patient died.

“That was a probable case, the patient showed some symptoms but sample was not taken before the patient died.

“So we have only one confirmed case of COVID-19 in NAUTH so far,” he added.

However, he said that all the necessary precautions were taken and all those that attended to the confirmed patient used Personal Protection Equipment.

MORE READING!  Judge sacks Yahaya Bello as Kogi governor but it won't stand

He also gave an assurance that the hospital would remain vigilant.

Continue Reading

News

Sanwo-Olu set to mark one year in office with virtual, on-site commissioning of projects

Published

on

Sanwo-Olu set to mark one year in office with virtual, on-site commissioning of projects

Governor Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos state is set to mark one year in office after he won the state Governorship election in 2019.

According to the report, a number of programmes have been slated to commemorate the event, starting with an address by the Governor.

The report added that in the course of the one-week celebration, Governor Sanwo-Olu will embark on virtual and on-site commissioning of Housing, Education, Transportation and Road projects in fulfilment of his promises to renew infrastructure in critical sectors of the economy.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Edo discharges four patients, records 25 cases, one death

Sanwo-Olu will visit Ikorodu to commission the 360 units Lagos Homes Igbogbo Baiyeku IIB Estate, the Courtland Villas in Femi Okunnu Estate in Lekki will also be launched to mark the first year anniversary of this administration.

READ ALSO: Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, records six more Covid-19 cases, total now 149

In the Education sector, Governor Sanwo-Olu will conduct virtual commissioning of completed classroom blocks in Maya Secondary School, Ikorodu; Eva Adelaja Junior School, Bariga; and Saviour Primary School, Ifako-Ijaiye, among others.

MORE READING!  China tells U.S. to stop wasting time in coronavirus battle

The virtual commissioning of completed works such as the Concrete Jetty in Baiyeku, Ikorodu; the Aradagun – Ajido – Epeme Road in Badagry; and the Maryland Signalisation Project also form part of Mr Governor’s itinerary to commemorate one year in office.

However, prior to May 29, Governor Sanwo-Olu will deliver a Children’s Day address on May 27, which coincides with the 53rd anniversary of Lagos State.

MORE READING!  Nigeria records highest COVID-19 deaths in West Africa as toll hits 7,839

The anniversary commemorative events are instructively low-key to reflect the realities and challenges posed by the COVID-19 pandemic.

 

Continue Reading




Trending