Connect with us

Sports

Kompany switches role after woeful start as player-manager at Anderlecht

Published

Kompany

Former Manchester City captain Vincent Kompany has been forced to take drastic action at Anderlecht as he will no longer act as player-manager on match days following a woeful start to the Belgium league season.

Kompany will now focus on on-field matters as Anderlecht captain.

The centre-back left Manchester City after 11 years at the Premier League in the summer to take up the reigns at his boyhood club on a three-year deal.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

The Belgium international is yet to win a league match in the Belgian First Division A, suffering two draws and two defeats in his four fixtures in charge, and the 33-year-old has opted to focus on playing matters on matchday, according to Belgian publication HLN.

Anderlecht conceded four first-half goals in a 4-2 defeat against Kortrijk last weekend and Kompany’s sole focus going forward will now be to captain the side while head coach Simon Davies will be responsible for tactics off the field.

MORE READING!  Ighalo to remain in Man Utd till 2021

“Kompany must be more a player during the match,” said Davies, who was previously head of academy coaching at City before he joined Kompany’s coaching staff in the summer.

“He must be able to really lead the team on the field. Of course no one doubts that he can, but it is important that he is merely one of the players during the match.

“So, together with my staff, I will take on the tactics next to the field. Because you can plan some things in advance, surprising things always happen during a match. I take that on me.”

Anderlecht made a number of high-profile summer signings following Kompany’s arrival, including Samir Nasri, Nacer Chadli and Kemar Roofe from Leeds but they are undergoing their worst start to a league campaign in 21 years.

MORE READING!  Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

Sports

Ronaldo snubs C. Ronaldo names Messi as number one

Published

on

Brazil football legend, Delima Ronaldo in a recent statement has snubbed Portugal international, Cristiano Ronaldo as he lists the top five football players he loves watching.

Ronaldo named Argentine star Lionel Messi as his number one while adding that he loves to watch the likes of Mohamed Sallah, Kylian Mbappe, Eden Hazard and Neymar.

“Messi, of course, he is number one, it is a talent that we will take 20 or 30 years to see something similar.

“I also like Salah, Hazard, Neymar, that I love watching him play, of course Mbappe,” Ronaldo Delima explained according to AS.

The debate between Lionel Messi and Cristiano Ronaldo will continue to go on even after they retire from football.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

The two players have won many titles in their careers, however, the World Cup is the only trophy any of them is yet to win.

Continue Reading

Sports

Tyson may die in the ring against Fury- Dillian Whyte warns WBC president

Published

on

Tyson may die in the ring against Fury- Dillian Whyte warns WBC president

WBC President, Mauricio Sulaiman has warned British professional boxer, Dillian Whyte that former heavyweight champion, Mike Tyson, may die in the ring.

Sulaiman had publicly backed Tyson’s proposed comeback and even said he would support the 53-year-old making a run for British fighter, Tyson Fury’s heavyweight title belt.

Tyson has been posting training videos recently, with reports suggesting the American could return to the ring in a series of exhibition fights in Australia.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: I tested positive after the premier league suspension, Brendan Rogers, reveals

READ ALSO: Ighalo to remain in Man Utd till 2021

But according to Whyte, it is silly for Sulaiman to be encouraging Tyson to challenge the reigning heavyweight champion, Fury.

“It’s silly. If they cannot sanction a fight with me for three years, why the hell are they going to sanction a fight with a 53-year-old man and a 31-year-old man?

“It makes no sense. That is silly. Mauricio and I are cool, but it is a very silly thing to say.

“He should not be encouraging it.

“What if he comes back and dies in the ring? What is going to happen then?

“We have already got enough darkness and enough mud thrown on the sport as it is, we do not need anymore,” Whyte told talkSPORT.

Continue Reading

Sports

Ighalo to remain in Man Utd till 2021

Published

on

Odion Ighalo

Nigerian international, Odion Ighalo has secured a move to stay at Manchester United till next year.

Odion Ighalo has “agreed” a loan extension with Manchester United until end of January 2021 with the transfer awaiting FA approval.

The agreement with his parent club Shanghai Shenhua officially expired on Sunday night, and it appeared as though United had failed in a bid to keep the striker at the club.

MORE READING!  Tennis: Federer becomes world’s highest-paid Athlete, Forbes declares

But according to The Telegraph, both sides have now come to an agreement for the 30-year-old to stay in Manchester until the new year.

The deal is said to be awaiting confirmation with FA for registration.

It is claimed Ighalo will then discuss a new contract with Shanghai Shenhua once he returns in 2021.

The news comes after his agent Atta Aneke confirmed talks were in place for the ex-Watford man to remain at Old Trafford.

MORE READING!  PSG sign striker Icardi on permanent deal

Aneke told Nettavisen:

“We are nearing an agreement with Manchester United on an extended loan.

“The agreement will mean that Ighalo will remain with them until January 2021.”

Ighalo swapped the Chinese Super League for the Premier League in a shock deadline day loan deal back in January.

And it is understood Ighalo took a 40 per cent pay-cut on his £300,000-a-week wages in China to make his dream switch happen.

MORE READING!  Tennis’ world number 11 undergoes surgery on both ankles

He scored four goals in eight games before the season was suspended amid the coronavirus pandemic – leaving his loan contract to the run-up.

The Nigerian made a personal plea to Shanghai Shenhua to let him finish the season at Old Trafford, before returning to China, and it appears his wishes have been met.

Sun UK.

Continue Reading




Trending