Connect with us

Coronavirus

La Liga clubs free to start full training from Monday

Published

Football: La Liga season to resume on June 11

Clubs in Spain’s top two soccer divisions can hold full training sessions from Monday for the first time since returning to activity after action was halted in March due to the coronavirus pandemic, organisers La Liga have said.

“Clubs will begin collective training on June 1 after the government’s latest health order on the easing of restrictions,” La Liga said in a statement on Saturday.

Teams returned to individual training at the start of May before progressing to training in groups of up 10 players two weeks later, and groups of 14 players from last Monday.

MORE READING!  Doctors' strike leaves COVID-19 patients 'without care' in Sierra Leone

The top-flight will resume on June 11 without fans attending, with Sevilla taking on Real Betis, and with matches potentially to be played every day of the week until the season is concluded on July 19.

All organised football in Spain was provisionally suspended on March 12 as the virus ravaged the country, but the rate of infection has slowed significantly.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Mongolia reports no new cases, one more recovery

Thirty-nine people died in the last week compared with a daily death toll in the hundreds a month ago, the health ministry said on Friday.

NAN

News

Nigeria’s confirmed cases of COVID-19 exceed 28,000

Published

on

Nigeria’s tally of confirmed COVID-19 cases rose to 28, 167 on Saturday as 603 new infections were announced by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control(NCDC)

Six deaths were recorded from the virus, bringing the total number of confirmed deaths from the virus to 634.

The health agency in a tweet Saturday night said the new cases were reported in 19 states.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Mongolia reports no new cases, one more recovery

The 603 new cases are reported from 19 states- Lagos, Edo, Federal Capital Territory (FCT), Rivers, Delta, Ogun, Kaduna, Plateau, Osun, Ondo, Enugu, Oyo, Borno, Niger, Nasarawa, Kebbi, Kano, Sokoto and Abia.

There was an increase in the number of confirmed cases reported on Saturday (603) compared to what was reported on Friday (454).

MORE READING!  Watford sell Pape Gueye to Marseille just 17 hours after joining them(see why here)

Wednesday’s figure was the country’s highest yet.

All the reporting states already had at least a case of the virus.

As of the time of reporting, 35 states and the FCT have recorded at least a case of the disease. Only one state, Cross River, is yet to officially report any case of the virus although there are controversies about it.

MORE READING!  Ighalo nominated for Man Utd award

Lagos remains the epicentre for the disease in the country. Zamfara has not reported any new confirmed case in the past 47 days.

 

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Dave Umahi, aides test positive for COVID-19

Published

on

Governor Dave Uamahi of Ebonyi State has tested positive for the novel Coronavirus. The Governor confirmed this in a statement personally signed by him on Saturday, July 4.

According to the governor, he and some of his aides had the test carried out on them and the result came back positive. He said presently they are not showing any symptoms but have since gone into isolation in line with protocols laid down by the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Germany entering recovery stage in downturn, analysts say

He has asked the Deputy Governor, Kelechi Igwe, to take over the frontline coordination of the state’s fight against the pandemic to protect Ebonyi people.

He appealed to residents of the state to take the NCDC protocols more seriously while stating that he’s working from home and will conduct all meetings virtually.

MORE READING!  Doctors' strike leaves COVID-19 patients 'without care' in Sierra Leone

Ebonyi state currently has 438 confirmed cases of the viral disease. 357 persons have been successfully treated while three have died.

Continue Reading

Nigeria Update

Gov. Ortom’s wife, son test positive for COVID-19

Published

on

Benue: I don't regret revealing the identity of the Covid-19 index case- Ortom

Benue state governor’s wife and son have tested positive for Coronavirus.

Mrs Eunice Ortom who announced this to newsmen on Friday, July 3, said she, their son, and some of her staff tested positive for the virus and have immediately gone into isolation.

“Few moments ago this evening, I received my result from the tests earlier carried out on me by NCDC personnel on routine screening at Government House, Makurdi, which returned that I, my son, and some staff are COVID-19 positive,” she said in a statement.

“We have from this moment, gone into total isolation as required by the protocol and would immediately begin the management treatment as advised by medical experts.

“While I have taken the responsibility to personally call everyone I can recall to have had recent contact with me to go for testing, I advise everyone who has had close contact with me in the last 2 weeks and the public to go for screening and testing.

“I wish to reiterate that being COVID-19 positive is not a death sentence as evident by the many recoveries recorded thus far, so there is no need to panic, but we should continue to be responsible in our actions so as to keep others safe. I am encouraging people to take preventive measures to be protected and be safe by observing the primary protocols. Stay safe!! COVID-19 is real.”

“The development comes after Betty Anyanwu-Akeredolu, wife of the Ondo governor, tested positive for COVID-19.” she said

Benue state currently has 97 confirmed cases of the viral disease.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Germany entering recovery stage in downturn, analysts say
Continue Reading




Trending