Connect with us

Politics

Lagos discharges 17 more COVID-19 patients

Published

The Lagos State Government says 17 more COVID-19 patients have recovered and discharged, after testing negative twice to the virus.

Gov. Babajide Sanwo-Olu of Lagos State said in a statement on Wednesday that a total of 649 patients had been discharged from the isolation centers.

”Good people of Lagos, today, 17 more COVID-19 Lagos patients; six females and 11 males, all Nigerians were discharged from our Yaba, Gbagada and LUTH Isolation facilities to reunite with the society.

”The patients, seven from the Mainland Infectious Disease Hospital, Yaba; six from the Lagos University Teaching Hospital (LUTH) and four from Gbagada General Hospital Isolation Centres were discharged, having fully recovered and tested negative to COVID-19 in two consecutive readings.

”This brings to 649 the number of #COVID-19 confirmed cases that have been successfully managed and discharged in Lagos,” Sanwo-Olu said.

Earlier, Prof. Akin Abayomi, the State Commissioner for Health, said that it was important for the public to confirm their COVID-19 status if they are unwell.

“What we mean to #flattenthecurve is that we want to spread out the speed at which the virus is spreading in the community.

“We have exceeded the containment phase now. We are at the active community transmission stage,” the commissioner said.

He added that the new strategy would be to concentrate on people with severe cases and isolate them, while mild cases would be managed at home.

MORE READING!  Kano: Federal High Court nullifies suspension of five Kano lawmakers

Abayomi said that the government’s attention was shifting to community-based isolation.

Politics

Obaseki does not deserve second term – Ogiemwonyi

Published

on

Godwin Obaseki

An aspirant in the forthcoming Edo State Governorship election under the platform of All Progressives Congress (APC), Engineer Chris Ogiemwonyi has said that Governor Godwin Obaseki should not be allowed again to fly the party’s flag during the September 19 election.

He said the governor was foisted on the state in 2016 through the instrumentality of indirect mode of governorship primary by the party and stressed that the governor does not deserve a second term in office if the state most progress.

MORE READING!  Anywhere there is strict law and order, a lot of Nigerians would have problems - ambassadorial nominee

Ogiemwonyi who spoke at the National Secretariat of the party in Abuja said but for Comrade Adams Oshiomhole, the then State Governor, now National Chairman of the party and the adoption of indirect primary, Governor Obaseki was not in the political calculation in Edo State in 2016.

Endorsing the direct mode of primary adopted by the National Working Committee (NWC) of the party for the conduct of June 22 party governorship primary in Edo State, the governorship hopeful said direct primary would enable people to determine their leaders.

MORE READING!  I'm not dumping APC for PDP, says Obaseki

Ogiemwonyi who vehemently opposed indirect primary recalled what he suffered from the system in 2016.
According to him, “I saw what indirect (primary) did to me in 2016. I nurtured the so called delegates for 9 months. I was giving soft loans. The shock I had was the then Governor (Oshiomhole) said it was Obaseki. Obaseki wasn’t a player in 2016. It was between myself and Odubu. They couldn’t vote for me because of the body language of the Governor.

MORE READING!  Kano: Federal High Court nullifies suspension of five Kano lawmakers

The former Minister of State Works said with the attitude of the Governor towards his benefactor was nothing but a show of ingratitude.

According to Ogiemwonyi, ” Godwin did not campaign. Oshiomhole gave him so much gratitude but he has shown alot of ingratitude to Oshiomhole. He got that job without sweat.

“But I believe with this direct primaries now people will have their way. Nobody will use government apparatus to suppress one person,” he stated.

Continue Reading

Politics

Joe Biden formally wins Democratic nomination

Published

on

Leading democrats defend Biden after sexual assault allegation

Former Vice President Joe Biden has secured the delegates needed to win the Democratic Party’s presidential nomination on the first ballot at the August convention, crossing the threshold of 1,991 delegates.

Associated Press reported that Biden who took a commanding delegate lead in mid-March and after Vermont’s Senator Bernie Sanders dropped out of the race in early April confirmed this in a statement released on Friday night.

The former Vice President under Barack Obama’s administration tweeted;

“Folks, tonight we secured the 1,991 delegates needed to win the Democratic nomination. I’m going to spend every day fighting to earn your vote so that, together, we can win the battle for the soul of this nation.

“It was an honour to compete alongside one of the most talented groups of candidates the Democratic party has ever fielded and I am proud to say that we are going into this general election a united party.”

The 78-year-old who served as Delaware’s Senator for decades before becoming United States vice president during Barack Obama’s administration will be taking a shot at the presidency for the third time.

MORE READING!  Lagos discharges 24 more coronavirus patients

Obama had endorsed Biden in April, saying in a video that he had “all the qualities we need in a president right now.”

President Trump, on the other hand, has disclosed that he is eager to take the fight to Mr Biden who he derides as “Sleepy Joe.”

The milestone comes as the nation faces compounding crises wrought by the Coronavirus pandemic, soaring unemployment and a wave of protests over racism and police brutality.

MORE READING!  I'm not dumping APC for PDP, says Obaseki

Biden enters the November 2020 general election in a strong position, with polling showing him ahead in a number of key battleground states.

Continue Reading

Politics

Foundation lauds Gov Fayemi’s enforcement of lockdown directive in Ekiti

Published

on

The CLEEN Foundation on Saturday lauded the efforts of Gov. Kayode Fayemi of Ekiti on the enforcement of lockdown directives to contain the spread of COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

The Foundation gave the commendation in a communique at the end of Ekiti State Administration of Criminal Justice Working Group Bi-monthly meeting in Ado Ekiti.

The communique was signed by Ms. Rita Ilevbare, Founder, Gender Relevance Initiative Promotion (GRIP), Ms. Yetunde Kolawole, Ministry of Justice, and Mr. Osubu Ojo, Police Command in Ekiti.

It also commended Mr. Olawale Fapohunda, the Attorney-General’s issuance of periodic statements, calling on security agents to respect the principles of human rights in the enforcement of the lockdown directives.

The foundation said a review of the progress of the implementation of ACJL in Ekiti, as regards compliance with the State Government directives on COVID-19, revealed that both the conventional and state security outfits were not trained before being deployed to enforce the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

MORE READING!  Lagos discharges 24 more coronavirus patients

It commended the substantial compliance with rules of engagement and ACJA by the security agents, particularly the police and the NSCDC in the enforcement of the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

The foundation said Ekiti witnessed minimal human rights violations by security agents, including no record of extrajudicial killings as witnessed in some states

It decried the use and involvement of the military in the enforcement of the COVID-19 lockdown directives.

“This is against the tenents of civil engagements, as some of the human rights violations witnessed in the state were mostly perpetrated by the military and the state’s security outfits,” the foundation said.

While commending Courts’ sittings during the COVID-19 lockdown it, however, alleged that violators of the lockdown directives were denied legal representation.

“This negates the principles of access to justice; particularly, the right to fair hearing as preserved under the 1999 Constitution of Nigeria (as amended).

“That following the gradual ease of the lockdown by the government and the full return to work, that Courts has commenced full sitting in all cases, including corruption cases,” the communique said.

It said that in case of future special duties, security agents, both conventional and state security outfits, should be specially trained by the government before deployment.

MORE READING!  Governor Bello lifts lockdown, insists Kogi is COVID-19 free

The communique said that the military personnel should not be involved by the government in the enforcement of special duties, which were entirely civil in nature.

It said that the government should categorize lawyers as essential workers, should there be a need for a future lockdown.

The communique also proposed a training session on ACJA for security agencies, particularly the Police and NSCDC.

MORE READING!  Anywhere there is strict law and order, a lot of Nigerians would have problems - ambassadorial nominee

Reports have it that CLEEN Foundation, with support from MacArthur Foundation, was implementing the Project,

“Promoting Accountability and Transparency in the Administration of Criminal Justice System in Nigeria” in Ekiti.

It reports also as part of the project activities, CLEEN Foundation set up a State Working Group to monitor the effective implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law (ACJL) in Ekiti.

According to reports the stakeholders were in the justice sector and meet bi-monthly to deliberate on the effective implementation of the Administration of Criminal Justice Law.

It is to explore strategies for collaboration with partners toward the attainment of the ideals of ACJL in Ekiti.

It reports that the usual Bi-monthly meeting could not hold due to the outbreak of COVID-19 pandemic in the state.

Continue Reading




Trending