Connect with us

Coronavirus

JUST IN: Lagos discharges five coronavirus patients

Published

Easter: Lagos State hosts concert for health workers at Yaba Isolation centre (video)

Lagos State Government on Monday discharged five coronavirus patients at Infectious Disease Centre, Yaba Mainland Hospital.

This brings to eight the total number of discharged patients from the centre.

The patients, who had been quarantined at the isolation centre for weeks, looked stable and unruffled.

Although the discharged patients preferred anonymity, they expressed joy and satisfaction over the treatment they received.

While thanking the State Governor, Mr Babajide Sanwo-Olu for his support and proactiveness, they pleaded that the workers at the Centre should be given life insurance.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG bans street trading, hawking

While speaking to reporters, one of the patients said: “I came in here on the 15th and after the test showed positive, I was asked to come back the next day. So I was admitted here.

“Initially, there were hitches but it later turned out fine. The health workers did fine, all our challenges were attended to. I’m a living witness together with my other colleagues.”

He gave an impressive hope, saying people should not panic as the virus could be defeated.

“We can beat it. I want to assure others that this is not their resting place. Encourage yourselves, take your medications and in no distant time, you will get out of here.

“I want to appeal to the federal government and Lagos State government that, they should remunerate all those workers who have volunteered to work accordingly, so as to serve as encouragement to others, adding that, “If they are not here as first responders, many would have died.”

Another patient said:

“I was admitted last Sunday. Initially, there were challenges, the following day, they brought bed, mask and some equipment.

“Apart from what my colleague said, the workers should be insured. Proper insurance will let people do what they have to do.”

He narrated a scenario where the workers could not attend to him because he tested positive, saying “they went back and I slept of. I woke up around 3 a.m. So they deserve life insurance to encourage them to do their job.”

Nigeria Update

COVID-19: Anambra to fine face masks defaulters N10,000

Published

on

The Anambra State Government will fine any resident who fails to wear a face mask the sum of N10,000.

This was disclosed by Governor Willie Obiano in a state-wide broadcast to the people of the state.

Obiano also warned traders in the state to keep to the COVID -19 rules or he would shut down the market again.

He said,

“We have 69 individuals on home quarantine and two individuals in the facility based quarantine.

“We shall continue to push back at this pandemic until we have reduced its presence in Anambra State.

“We are ramping up our testing capacity to ensure that we slow down the spread of this pandemic in our dear state.

“The Covid-19 Committees that we have set up in wards and local governments across Anambra State are helping us in driving the campaign to every nook and cranny of the state.

He said he had signed the COVID-19 Bill into law, adding that it was now an offence to be seen in the public without a face mask.

MORE READING!  Amotekun: There are ‘dangerous’ plots to create Oduduwa Republic - MURIC

“The offence attracts a fine of N10,000 or some hours of community service. I would like to re-emphasize that my administration is determined to enforce this law, adding

“The information we received from different quarters indicate that our people have started lowering their guard on the COVID-19 protocols.

“I have it on good authority that traders in various markets no longer comply with the enforcement of the wearing of face masks and the washing of hands.

” I want to warn that we may consider shutting down the markets if this trend is not halted with immediate effect.

“I have also received similar reports from churches and other religious groups in the state most of whom have discarded the wearing of face masks.

” I urge the leadership of all religious bodies in Anambra State to ensure compliance with the standard protocols of COVID-19 without further delay.”

Continue Reading

Coronavirus

Covid-19: Brazil records largest daily increase in deaths

Published

on

Covid-19: Brazil records largest daily increase in deaths

Brazil, on Tuesday, recorded its largest daily increase in deaths related to the novel coronavirus, data by the country’s Health Ministry showed.

The country confirmed 1,262 new virus-related deaths, bringing the total toll to 31,199, according to the latest official figures.

Tuesday’s daily jump was the steepest since the first victim was confirmed on March 17, the data showed, surpassing the record set on May 21 of 1,188 deaths in a day.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: WHO advises govts to ease lockdowns in systematic step-by-step approach

The ministry also reported almost 29,000 new infections for a total of 555,383 cases.

After the United States, Brazil is the country with the highest number of officially recorded infections worldwide.

Brazil’s death toll is in fourth place globally, behind the U.S., Britain and Italy, according to data collected by Johns Hopkins University in the U.S.

READ ALSO: COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

Seeing as the biggest nation in Latin America is carrying out relatively low levels of testing, the real figure is likely significantly higher.

MORE READING!  British study suggests minorities more likely to die from coronavirus

There have been at least 29,314 coronavirus deaths so far in the country.

In many cities in Brazil, hospitals have reached capacity.

Authorities have set up makeshift clinics in football stadiums.

Meanwhile, a dispute between President Jair Bolsonaro, several governors and congress has paralysed the country.

Right-wing populist leader, Bolsonaro, sees the COVID-19 lung disease as a “mild flu” and has rejected protective measures.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

But many state leaders have put in place their own restrictions on movement and public life to stem the spread of the virus.

On Sunday, clashes were reported between Bolsonaro supporters, anti-government protesters and the Police in several Brazilian cities.

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

Published

on

COVID-19: Bauchi deputy governor tests positive

The Deputy Governor of Bauchi state, Mr Baba Tela, has tested positive to the novel Coronavirus, a statement issued by the state government revealed on Wednesday.

The statement, signed by  Mr Muktar Gidado, Senior Special Assistant (SSA) on media to the state governor, indicated that test by Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) confirmed the development.

According to Gidado, Tela, who is also the Chairman, State Task Force Committee on COVID-19, was tested after exhibiting noticeable symptoms of the virus, adding that all his primary contacts had been taken for screening.

“This is to inform the general public that His Excellency, Sen. Baba Tela, Deputy Governor of Bauchi State, was confirmed positive of Coronavirus.

“The confirmation was sequel to a test carried out on him by NCDC when he exhibited noticeable symptoms of the disease.

“He contracted the disease while discharging his onerous responsibility as Chairman of the State Committee on COVID-19.

READ ALSO: NDDC says late finance director died of COVID-19

“Consequently, he has gone into self-isolation in Bauchi and health professionals are properly managing his situation.

“Similarly, samples of all his primary contacts have been taken by NCDC for tests and they are advised to remain in isolation pending the outcome of their results,” Gidado said.

The SSA further stressed that Gov. Bala Mohammad had sympathised with his deputy and solicited for prayers from all for his speedy recovery.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: 268 Nigerians arrive in Abuja from China

He said that the governor also called on the citizens to adhere strictly to the protocols against the dreaded virus to curtail its spread in the State.

Newsmen report that Bauchi state, as at Tuesday, June 2, had recorded a total 241 cases of COVID-19, out of which 221 had been discharged while eight had died.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Bayelsa records second death

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

NAN

 

Continue Reading




Trending