Connect with us

Crime

Lebanon attack: Islamic State claims responsibility

Published

Islamic State has claimed responsibility for an attack in north Lebanon in June, which killed two policemen and two army soldiers, the group’s weekly al Nabaa newspaper reported.

The newspaper in its issue published late Thursday said that the man who attacked the Lebanese army in Lebanon’s port city of Tripoli was “one of the soldiers” of the Islamic State militia.

MORE READING!  Calabar: Court jails 47-year-old man for sexually exploiting two minors

The newspaper, citing a security source, did not give details of the attack.

Abdel-Rahman Mabsout, believed to be a Sunni extremist, tossed a hand grenade at a police patrol on June 3, killing two policemen, and then clashed with soldiers before detonating his explosive belt and killing himself.

The incident has been condemned by Lebanese officials.

MORE READING!  EFCC arraigns two in court over alleged $1.6m fraud

Mabsout fought with the Islamic State in Syria, according to a security source in Tripoli.

He was arrested by Lebanese security forces on terrorism charges in 2016 and was released from Roumieh Central Prison in late 2017.

In a video circulated on social media reportedly recorded by Mabsout before he went on the killing spree, he urged people “to fear God”.

MORE READING!  (JUST IN) Police arrest popular traditional ruler, Iyatsere of Warri

NAN

Crime

Rivers: Woman, 40, remanded for allegedly killing husband

Published

on

Port Harcourt serial killer

In Port Harcourt, a Chief Magistrates’ Court sitting on Thursday remanded a 40-year-old woman identified as Telma Bestman for allegedly murdering her husband Mr Wagbara Bestman.

The suspect, it was learnt conspired with others now at large to kill the husband with a gun following disagreements between them.

It was gathered that the suspect and her accomplices who are still at large attacked the victim at their residence at 15 Chiwota Street, Rumuolumeni town in Obio/Akpor Local Government Area of Rivers State on February 13, 2020.

MORE READING!  Police arraign man for allegedly stoning officers in Osun

The suspect a mother of four children is facing two counts bothering on murder.

The prosecutor, A. C Kennedy, told the Court that the offence of the accused is punishable under sections 324 and 319 of the Criminal Code, Cap 37 Vol. II, Laws Rivers State of Nigeria, 1999.

The Chief Magistrate, Ipalibo Iyiabo, transferred the case file to the Director, Public Prosecutions for advice.

MORE READING!  Pastor arrested for allegedly defiling 12-year-old girl in Ogun

Iyiabo, however, remanded the accused at the Nigerian Correctional Service facility and adjourned the matter to August 3, 2020, for mention.

Continue Reading

Crime

Gunmen kidnap nine travellers in Ondo, demand N100million ransom

Published

on

No fewer than nine people have been reportedly abducted by some gunmen, suspected to be herdsmen at Isua Akoko, the headquarters of the Akoko South-East Local Government Area of Ondo on Friday evening.

The victims were said to be traveling in a Toyota Sienna bus from Abuja heading towards Lagos State before they were kidnapped.

MORE READING!  Pastor arrested for allegedly defiling 12-year-old girl in Ogun

However, the details about their abduction were still sketchy as at the time of filing this report on Friday.

A source said the kidnappers have contacted the family of one of the victims and demanded a sum of N100m ransom.

The Public Relations Officer of the Ondo State Police Command, Tee-Leo Ikoro, who confirmed the incident said one of the victims had been rescued.

MORE READING!  (JUST IN) Police arrest popular traditional ruler, Iyatsere of Warri

He said, ” Efforts are on to ensure the release of other victims. Our men are working with hunters, local vigilante, and other agencies to get then released unhurt.”

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 41 allegedly defiles own three-year-old daughter in Ibadan

Published

on

A forty-one-year-old man, Effiom Etowa, who allegedly defiled his 3-year old daughter, was remanded in the custody of Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps, NSCDC, by an Ibadan Chief Magistrates’ Court on Friday.

Etowa, who lives in Tinuoye Estate, Ojoo, in Ibadan, is standing trial on a count charge of defilement.

Chief Magistrate Taiwo Oladiran, who did not take the plea of Etowa, ordered that he should be remanded in NSCDC custody in Ibadan.

MORE READING!  EFCC arraigns two in court over alleged $1.6m fraud

Oladiran said, “Etowa cannot be admitted at the Correctional Centre, Agodi, Ibadan, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.

“Etowa is hereby remanded at the Nigeria Security and Civil Defence Corps Headquarter, Ibadan, pending an advice from the Oyo State Directorate of Public Prosecutions (DPP).”

Oladiran, however, adjourned the case until 16 July for hearing.

MORE READING!  Man confesses to murdering parents, four relatives

Earlier, ASP Sunday Ogunremi, the Prosecution Counsel, told the court that Etowa committed the offence on 15 June at Ibadan.

According to Ogunremi, the offence contravened the provisions of Section 387 Criminal Law of Oyo State, 2000.

Continue Reading




Trending