Connect with us

Crime

Man, 25, accused of raping a five-year-old girl discharged and acquitted

Published

court

Court acquits security guard accused of sexually assaulting 5-year old girl

A Yola Upper Area Court on Tuesday discharged and acquitted a 25-year-old security guard, Mohammed Aliyu, accused of sexually assaulting a five-year-old girl.

The police charged Aliyu with an act of Gross Indecency, punishable under Section 287 of the Penal Code.

Discharging the suspect in a judgment, Presiding Judge, Umar Isa, held that the prosecution failed to prove his case beyond a reasonable doubt.

MORE READING!  Two Nigerians, Sudanese jailed for entering Malta with forged passports

Justice Isa said the witnesses presented by the prosecutor ended up casting doubt in the mind of the court.

“In view of all I have said and plethora of authorities cited Inter Alia, I am satisfied that the prosecution failed to prove his case beyond reasonable doubt and the accuse is, therefore, entitle to be discharge.

“Be that as it may, the accuse is discharged and acquitted,” the court ruled.

Justice Isa gave the parties 30 days to appeal if not satisfied with the judgment.

MORE READING!  DSS arrests man, 42, for impersonating Buhari’s Chief of Staff

Reacting to the development, Ms Nuwama Ishaku, the Human Right Desk Officer of Women and Adolescence Empowerment, the NGO that is following the case, said she was devastated by the judgment.

“We are going to sit with other groups under the Adamawa Coalition Against Rape to discuss the next line of action on this case,” Ishaku said.

NAN

MORE READING!  Photos: Three corpers, 29 others arrested for alleged online scam in Ogbomoso
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police declare war on killers in Ekiti community

Published

on

The Police in Ekiti State on Wednesday declared war on persons suspected to be involved in the violence and killing of two persons at Ire Ekiti, Oye Council Area of the state over the stoppage of Ogun Onire Festival celebration.

The town had been embroiled in violent crisis since Sunday over attempt by its monarch, Oba Victor Bobade to enforce government’s directives banning the celebration of the annual Ogun Onire Festival to prevent further spread of COVID 19.

MORE READING!  LAWMA arrests 13 cart pushers

The action considered as provocative to Ogun worshippers had led to an attack on the palace of Oba Bobade, where two persons were killed and a car burnt in the process.

The police had arrested one arrowhead of the violence and 15 other suspects declared wanted.

The Police Commissioner, Mr Babatunde Mobayo, in a statement in Ado Ekiti, on Wednesday, said the command had begun a mop up operation to halt further killings and turning the town to a killing field.

MORE READING!  Casual workers docked over alleged N20,000 theft

The statement signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, said:

“In order to restore peace to the Community, the Commissioner of Police wishes to inform the people of Ire-Ekiti that the Police shall be carrying out a mop up operation and investigation to fish out the perpetrators in the Community from the hour of 6:00 am today, 12th August, 2020.

“In view of this, the Commissioner implores the people of Ire-Ekiti Community to be law-abiding, cooperate with the Police deployed and avoid any act that could frustrate the aim of the operation, as such adverse act shall not be tolerated.”

Mobayo observed with dismay, how some “unscrupulous” persons in their large number had taken to the streets, destroying properties, causing injuries and death of innocent citizens and consequently causing a state of anarchy and unnecessary apprehension.

MORE READING!  Two Nigerians, Sudanese jailed for entering Malta with forged passports
Continue Reading

Crime

Two Nigerians, Sudanese jailed for entering Malta with forged passports

Published

on

Three men – two Nigerians and a South Sudanese – have been jailed six months for using tampered passports to enter Malta.

The Nigerians – 26 years old Jerry Onyibe and Iwezu Tony, 30 – and a Bany William, 21, from South Sudan were charged with falsifying the passports, knowingly making use of them and possession of falsified documents.

MORE READING!  Photos: Three corpers, 29 others arrested for alleged online scam in Ogbomoso

Magistrate Caroline Farrugia Frendi jailed the three men after they pleaded guilty.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 65, kidnaps 11-year-old girl, prostitutes her

Published

on

Ahmadu Garba

A 65-year old man by name Ahmadu Garba, abducted and allegedly defiled girl, 11 before giving her out as a prostitute to clients for three months while she was in captivity.

The incident happened in Jalingo, Taraba State, where they reside.

Following the dastardly act, Police operatives from Taraba State Command have arrested Garba alongside his accomplices, Abubakar Bala and Suleiman Ahmadu and were paraded by the Police in Jalingo the capital of Taraba State on Monday.

MORE READING!  Dutch Police bust biggest cocaine lab, arrest 17 suspects

The Taraba State Police Command Public Relations Officer, David Misal, confirmed that the criminal kept the little girl in his custody for three months. He also collected money from others and allow them to have carnal knowledge of her.

The Police image maker, Misal explained that the criminals were arrested following a tip-off to the Police intelligence team, which moved in, rescued the girl and then arrested the suspects for interrogation.

MORE READING!  Photos: Three corpers, 29 others arrested for alleged online scam in Ogbomoso

During the investigation, the victim narrated what happened and how she was molested helplessly for those months.

Misal said that the three suspects confessed to have committed the crime and the Police will prosecute them and ensure the little girl gets justice.

The three suspects risk several years of imprisonment for statutory rape if they are tried and found guilty before the Court for the alleged offence.

MORE READING!  Security operatives allegedly apprehend bandits terrorising southern Kaduna
Continue Reading




Trending