Connect with us

Coronavirus

Man buys N1.5m gold face-mask to save self from contracting coronavirus (Photos)

Published

An Indian man has spent about $4,000 (N1.5m) for a bespoke gold face mask to shield himself from the dreaded coronavirus.

According to AFP, the precious metal covering weighs 60 grams (two ounces) and took craftsmen eight days to make, said businessman Shankar Kurhade, from the western city of Pune.

“It is a thin mask and has tiny pores that is helping me to breathe,” Shankar told AFP.

When going out, the 49-year-old said he likes to adorn himself with gold jewellery weighing a kilogramme, including a bracelet, necklace and rings on each finger of his right hand.

MORE READING!  Australian woman smashes police officer’s head into concrete when told to wear face mask

Kurhade, whose company makes industrial sheds, said he got the idea for the gold face mask after seeing a media report about a man wearing one made from silver.

“People are asking me for selfies,” he said.

“They are awestruck when they see me wearing the gold mask in markets.”

India has made face masks mandatory in public places in a bid to control the spread of the virus in the country, which has around 650,000 confirmed cases and more than 18,600 fatalities.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG spends N500m on school feeding programme – Sadiya Farouq

See photos:

General

Covid-19: Nigeria records 288 new cases, toll now 44,129

Published

on

health workers

The Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC) has confirmed 288 new cases of COVID-19 in the country, bringing the total number of COVID-19 infection to 44,129.

The NCDC made this known via its verified Twitter handle on Monday.

“On the 3rd of August 2020, 288 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

“Till date, 44129 cases have been confirmed, 20663 cases have been discharged and 896 deaths have been recorded in 36 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“The 288 new cases are reported from 15 states- Lagos (88), Kwara (33), Osun (27), FCT (25), Enugu (25), Abia (20), Kaduna (17), Plateau (13), Rivers (13), Delta (10), Gombe (8), Ogun (4), Oyo (3), Katsina (1), Bauchi (1),” the NCDC said.

MORE READING!  Foundation sensitizes FCT communities on COVID-19, GBV
Continue Reading

health

Positive cases drop by 2,000 in July – FG

Published

on

Osagie Ehanire,

Nigeria recorded less than 2,000 positive cases in July, the Federal Government has disclosed.

It further stated the number of testing carried out across the country increased by 40,000 in just one month.

A total of 287,532 COVID-19 tests have been carried out so far in Nigeria.

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, made these known during the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19 in Abuja.

MORE READING!  Calm down video: A clear case of child abuse- Lauretta Onochie

He also said the Federal Government plans to reduce the deaths from the pandemic to less than one per cent.

The Federal Government also plans to expand sample collection to rural areas by setting set up at least one COVID-19 sample collection site in every Local Government Area (LGA) with designated holding rooms at General hospitals for patients with significant clinical symptoms.

MORE READING!  Gunmen kill journalist in Nasarawa

Ehanire said this will ensure patients are not turned back at hospitals.

The Minister asked health workers not to fret on Personal Protective Equipment (PPE);

“As we are reasonably well stocked with materials and commodities, which have been supplied to all sections of the country.”

Continue Reading

health

COVID-19 vaccines now in phase three clinical trials –WHO

Published

on

The World Health Organisation says a number of potential vaccines that may be deployed in the treatment of COVID-19 are now in phase three clinical trials.

WHO Director-General, Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, disclosed this at a virtual conference on Monday.

“A number of vaccines are now in phase three clinical trials and we all hope to have a number of effective vaccines that can help prevent people from infection.

“However, there’s no silver bullet at the moment and there might never be. For now, stopping outbreaks comes down to the basics of public health and disease control,” he said.

Ghebreyesus, therefore, urged countries and international partners to focus more on testing, isolating and treating COVID-19 patients as well as tracing and quarantining their contacts.

“The message to people and governments is clear: do it all. For individuals, it’s about keeping physical distance, wearing a mask, cleaning hands regularly and coughing safely away from others. Do it all,” he appealed.

Last Friday, the Ethiopian met with the Emergency Committee on COVID-19 to review the current pandemic.

MORE READING!  If you once had a sugar daddy, you have no right to fight your husband over his side-chic (Video)

It was a sobering moment coming six months from when the Committee advised, that the outbreak constituted a Public Health Emergency of International Concern.

The WHO boss noted that as at the time (30 January), there were fewer than 100 cases and no deaths outside of China.

“Since then, the number of cases has increased more than fivefold to 17.5 million, and the number of deaths has more than tripled, to 680,000.

“In addition to the direct toll COVID-19 is having, the Committee noted the health impact that disrupted services are having on a range of other diseases.

“That compounds what we already know about reduced immunisation coverage, cancer screening and care, and mental health services. On top of the health impact, we have seen the damage COVID-19 has caused socially, economically and politically,” he noted.

Continue Reading




Trending