Connect with us


Man narrates how singer ‘lost battle with his demons’ two years after he saved him from depression


Two years

Two years after he was saved from taking his life following a disagreement he had with his girlfriend, an Irish singer Philip Dunne has reportedly lost the battle with depression.

A Twitter user Caolán Mc Aree shared the heartrending story of Dunne’s death in a thread of tweets via his handle @Caolánmcaree.

Mc Aree said he had met Dunne in 2017 looking depressed as he sat lonely on the street.

He approached Dunne and was able to cheer him up and took him home. Dunne later opened up to Mc Aree in a chat via Facebook that he was trying to commit suicide that night before Mc Aree took him off the street.

MORE READING!  Covid-19 recoveries in Oyo exceed 900- Makinde

Well, exactly two years after he was saved from the claws of death, the Irish singer lost the battle to depression.

Mc Aree wrote:

“Two years ago this week on a night out I came across a guy sitting on the ground outside, his head down looking sad. I stopped and asked him if he was ok. He said no, that he had a fight with his girlfriend and he was feeling really low.

“I asked him his name (Philip),scooped him up and brought him along with me and the rest of my friends where I did what I could to cheer him up, make him laugh and distract him from his worries.

“We stayed up until daylight, I listened to his woes and and gave him whatever advice I could to help him and then we went our separate ways.

“A few months later Philp tracked me down on fb and sent me this.

After this we became good friends, meeting up regularly and hanging out. Philp was an amazing musician, bubbly and very handsome! If you live in Dublin you may have heard him busking on the streets.

“Unfortunately, Philip lost the battle with his demons yesterday.

“I wish I could have stayed up all night every night to save Philp but I couldn’t. What I can do though is ask you to please talk to people, check in and see if they are ok. And if you are not ok please tell someone, there is always a way out of the darkness!”

READ ALSO: I will make sure I destroy many guys before I die, lady who tested positive for HIV vows in leaked chat [Photos]


MORE READING!  Cross River doctors suspend strike

See Mc Aree’s tweet:


Iran will develop oil industry despite U.S. sanctions – Zanganeh says



Iran is determined to develop its oil industry in spite of U.S. sanctions imposed on the country, Iranian Oil Minister Bijan Zanganeh said.

Zanganeh, who said this in a televised speech on Saturday, added: ”We will not surrender under any circumstances.

“We have to increase our capacity so that when necessary with full strength we can enter the market and revive our market share.”

MORE READING!  NSCDC arrests two suspected petroleum pipeline vandals in Enugu

The minister said this before the signing of a 294-million dollars contract between the National Iranian Oil Company and Persia Oil & Gas, an Iranian firm.

He also stressed that the contract was to develop the Yaran oilfield that is shared with neighboring Iraq’s Majnoon field.

“The agreement aims to produce 39.5 million barrels of oil from the Yaran oilfield in Khuzestan province in southwestern Iran,’’ the Iranian Oil Ministry’s news agency SHANA said. 

Continue Reading


Mali opposition says one protest leader detained



Mali opposition groups on Saturday urged their supporters to remain mobilized after one of their leaders was detained in the wake of violent protests against the president that saw the temporary occupation of state buildings.

On Friday, police fired gunshots and tear gas to disperse protesters who had occupied parliament and the state broadcaster as part of a civil disobedience campaign aimed at forcing President Ibrahim Boubacar Keita to resign for failing to tackle Mali’s security and economic problems.

MORE READING!  Cross River doctors suspend strike

“One protest leader, Issa Kaou Djim, was detained and remains in custody.

“M5-RFP calls on the Malian people to remain mobilized and determined in the hours and days to come,’’ a spokesman for the M5-RFP opposition coalition said.

The protest came after the coalition rejected concessions from Keita aimed at resolving a political stand-off that began after a disputed legislative election in March.

Mali’s neighbors and outside powers fear the impasse that could further destabilize the country and jeopardize a joint military campaign against Islamist insurgents in the West African Sahel region.

MORE READING!  China allows foreign investors into the household service sector

According to the coalition, one protester was killed on Friday and over 20 wounded.

However, the police have not yet commented.

Keita issued a statement deploring the violence and said an investigation would be launched.

“However, I would like to reassure our people once again of my desire to continue the dialogue and reiterate my readiness to take all measures in my power with a view to calm the situation down,” he said on Friday.

MORE READING!  NasaNasarawa: Union urges Gov. Sule to constitute mgt. team for COE

The opposition’s next steps are not known. The coalition plans to hold a press conference later on Saturday.

The streets of Bamako appeared largely quiet following the protest.

State television ORTM resumed broadcasting after going off-air when its building was occupied.

“Social media platforms Twitter and Facebook were restricted on Friday, but internet access remained patchy’’ Internet blockage observatory NetBlocks said.

Continue Reading


COVID-19: Port Harcourt International Airport reopens



The Federal Airport Authority (FAAN) has restated commitment towards ensuring a zero Coronavirus (COVID-19) transmission as Port Harcourt International Airport resumes operations.

Mr Abayomi Akinbinu, the Regional Manager, South-South and South-East, FAAN, said this on Saturday at the airport during the arrival of the first flight after three months of COVID-19 shutdown.

The first flight conducted by Air Peace 5N EUV from Lagos arrived Port Harcourt International Airport terminal at 7.50 a.m.

Abayomi said that the Port Harcourt airport management was poised at ensuring zero chances of COVID 19 transmission as flight operations kick-starts at the airport

According to him, compliance with the COVID 19 safety guidelines by regulatory bodies in the sector has been well upheld, adding that management will give no room for default.

MORE READING!  NSCDC arrests two suspected petroleum pipeline vandals in Enugu

While commending safety compliance level by service providers and passengers at the airport, he, however, decried poor adherence to the physical distancing rule.

“To the best of my understanding, I think I’m satisfied with our adherence to safety tips but there could be a few protocols that we need to adjust especially in the area of adherence to physical distancing rule.

“Our markings of 1.5 metres apart are visibly on the floor, but maybe because of excitement it’s not being properly followed; so we need to make quick enforcement in that regard,” he said.

On passenger turnout, Abayomi said that being the first COVID-19 flight, low passenger turnout was expected with a gradual increase in the coming days.

“On the departure section, we are gradually getting more passengers and I believe that going forward passengers’ turnout is going to increase.

“My message to prospective passengers is that the Port Harcourt International Airport terminal is safe,” he added.

Dr Nuhu Mwabi, Head of Aviation Medical Clinic of the airport also said that the Port Health is fully on the ground conducting mandatory temperature checks on both service providers and passengers before allowing them into the terminal building.

“This is because we want to fish out persons with a temperature of 38 degrees Celsius and above so that we can isolate such individual.

“Our cardinal objective is to ensure that we contain the spread of COVID-19 as well as other communicable diseases within the airport,” he said.

Mwabi also said that various medical teams and the WHO is also fully ready to professionally handle any suspected case where the need arises.

“We have an isolation centre right here for any person with a high temperature to be examined and if need be, we would then call for further assistance from the State Epidemiological unit,” Mwabi said.

Meanwhile, some passengers have also commended FAAN on its innovations in the COVID-19 era.

MORE READING!  NasaNasarawa: Union urges Gov. Sule to constitute mgt. team for COE

Mr Ralph Akinyemi, one of the first passengers who arrived Port Harcourt from Lagos, urged the management of the airport and other regulatory bodies to maintain the tempo, which he described as commendable.

Continue Reading