Connect with us

Crime

Man remanded for allegedly obtaining money under false pretence

Published

Ibadan court jails 28-year-old for unlawful dealing in Indian hemp

A 43-year old man has been remanded for obtaining money under false pretense.

The Ilorin Magistrates’ Court, on Tuesday, ordered that Mustapha Solagberu be remanded.

Solagberu was accused of obtaining the sum of N205,000 under false pretense.

The Magistrate, Mrs Hafsat Alege, gave the order, as the defendant, with two others, now at large, are facing a two-count charge of criminal conspiracy and obtaining money under false pretence.

MORE READING!  Casual workers docked over alleged N20,000 theft

Alege adjourned the case till Feb. 24, for further mention.

The Prosecutor, Insp. Isa Abubakar, told the court that on Dec. 6, 2019, a petition was written by one Mrs Habeeba Abdulrahman of 47, Ode Alfa-Nda area of Ilorin.

He said that the defendant, with two others, now at large, criminally conspired together and deceitfully, fraudulently and dishonestly collected the sum of N205,000 from the petitioner.

Abubakar said that the accused person collected the money under the pretext of praying for the complainant, simply because she sent him N10,000 when the defendant claimed to be involved in an accident.

MORE READING!  Photos: Three corpers, 29 others arrested for alleged online scam in Ogbomoso

The prosecutor said that the defendant took advantage of the complainant’s kind gesture to deceive her and also invited his cohorts to dishonestly collect money from her.

Abubakar said that during police investigation, the defendant confessed to the crime, and that he was a member of a syndicate of fake Islamic cleric who specialised in duping innocent citizens in Ilorin and its environs.

MORE READING!  Security operatives allegedly apprehend bandits terrorising southern Kaduna

He said that the offence was contrary to Section 97 of the Penal Code and Section 1(3) of Advance Fee Fraud and other related Offences.

The defendant, however, pleaded not guilty to the charges preferred against him.

 

 

 

 

NAN

Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Crime

Police declare war on killers in Ekiti community

Published

on

The Police in Ekiti State on Wednesday declared war on persons suspected to be involved in the violence and killing of two persons at Ire Ekiti, Oye Council Area of the state over the stoppage of Ogun Onire Festival celebration.

The town had been embroiled in violent crisis since Sunday over attempt by its monarch, Oba Victor Bobade to enforce government’s directives banning the celebration of the annual Ogun Onire Festival to prevent further spread of COVID 19.

MORE READING!  Man, 65, kidnaps 11-year-old girl, prostitutes her

The action considered as provocative to Ogun worshippers had led to an attack on the palace of Oba Bobade, where two persons were killed and a car burnt in the process.

The police had arrested one arrowhead of the violence and 15 other suspects declared wanted.

The Police Commissioner, Mr Babatunde Mobayo, in a statement in Ado Ekiti, on Wednesday, said the command had begun a mop up operation to halt further killings and turning the town to a killing field.

MORE READING!  Cameroonian arrested with five Nigerian passports

The statement signed by the Command’s Public Relations Officer, Sunday Abutu, said:

“In order to restore peace to the Community, the Commissioner of Police wishes to inform the people of Ire-Ekiti that the Police shall be carrying out a mop up operation and investigation to fish out the perpetrators in the Community from the hour of 6:00 am today, 12th August, 2020.

“In view of this, the Commissioner implores the people of Ire-Ekiti Community to be law-abiding, cooperate with the Police deployed and avoid any act that could frustrate the aim of the operation, as such adverse act shall not be tolerated.”

Mobayo observed with dismay, how some “unscrupulous” persons in their large number had taken to the streets, destroying properties, causing injuries and death of innocent citizens and consequently causing a state of anarchy and unnecessary apprehension.

MORE READING!  Security operatives allegedly apprehend bandits terrorising southern Kaduna
Continue Reading

Crime

Two Nigerians, Sudanese jailed for entering Malta with forged passports

Published

on

Three men – two Nigerians and a South Sudanese – have been jailed six months for using tampered passports to enter Malta.

The Nigerians – 26 years old Jerry Onyibe and Iwezu Tony, 30 – and a Bany William, 21, from South Sudan were charged with falsifying the passports, knowingly making use of them and possession of falsified documents.

MORE READING!  Dutch Police bust biggest cocaine lab, arrest 17 suspects

Magistrate Caroline Farrugia Frendi jailed the three men after they pleaded guilty.

Continue Reading

Crime

Man, 65, kidnaps 11-year-old girl, prostitutes her

Published

on

Ahmadu Garba

A 65-year old man by name Ahmadu Garba, abducted and allegedly defiled girl, 11 before giving her out as a prostitute to clients for three months while she was in captivity.

The incident happened in Jalingo, Taraba State, where they reside.

Following the dastardly act, Police operatives from Taraba State Command have arrested Garba alongside his accomplices, Abubakar Bala and Suleiman Ahmadu and were paraded by the Police in Jalingo the capital of Taraba State on Monday.

MORE READING!  Casual workers docked over alleged N20,000 theft

The Taraba State Police Command Public Relations Officer, David Misal, confirmed that the criminal kept the little girl in his custody for three months. He also collected money from others and allow them to have carnal knowledge of her.

The Police image maker, Misal explained that the criminals were arrested following a tip-off to the Police intelligence team, which moved in, rescued the girl and then arrested the suspects for interrogation.

MORE READING!  Cameroonian arrested with five Nigerian passports

During the investigation, the victim narrated what happened and how she was molested helplessly for those months.

Misal said that the three suspects confessed to have committed the crime and the Police will prosecute them and ensure the little girl gets justice.

The three suspects risk several years of imprisonment for statutory rape if they are tried and found guilty before the Court for the alleged offence.

MORE READING!  Two Nigerians, Sudanese jailed for entering Malta with forged passports
Continue Reading




Trending