Connect with us

News

Manager of demolished hotel among 27 new cases of COVID-19 in Rivers – Commissioner

Published

Emergency rule: Some citizens plan to cause a breakdown of law and order in River state, says govt

The Manager of one of the two hotels demolished by Governor Nyesom Wike has tested positive for COVID-19.

Rivers State Commissioner for Information and Communication, Paulinus Nsirim, who made the disclosure Sunday evening said the development validates the State Government’s proactive fight against COVID-19.

Nsirim stated that the Manager of Prodest Hotel, Bariledum Azoroh, is among the 27 new cases of coronavirus recorded in the State on Sunday.

“This latest development validates the State Government’s proactive approach towards the fight against COVID-19.

“Recall that Prodest Hotel was demolished two weeks ago because the owner violated Executive Order 7 which banned the operation of hotels.

“The COVID-19 Taskforce members from the Local Government who went to enforce the Executive Order were brutalized and dehumanised leading to the death of one of them,” the statement reads.

Meanwhile, the owner of the demolished Prodest Hotel in Alode Community in Eleme Local Government Area Rivers State, Gogorobari had earlier raised the alarm of an alleged plan by the Rivers State Government to frame up his manager by, “unorthodox hired medical officers.”

MORE READING!  Gov. Ortom's wife, son test positive for COVID-19

Gogorobari in a statement claimed that he has an intelligent report that the manager of Prodest Hotel in Eleme, Bari, “who is a now a sinister convict of the Rivers State Government will be framed up to have tested positive to COVID-19 from alleged illegal detention facility in Elekahia.

“I have it on good authority based on intelligent report reaching me today – 24th May 2020 that the manager of Prodest Hotel in Eleme, Dr. Bariledum Job Azoroh, who is a now a deliberate and sinister convict of the Rivers State Government and also a prisoner of the Rivers State Government has been framed up by an unorthodox hired medical officers recruited by Governor Wike with a report that he has tested positive to COVID-19 whilst in detention with the Rivers State Government.

“The illegal detention facility is in Stadium, Elekahia, Port Harcourt and the Federal Government has since kicked against all forms of illegal detention in Rivers State. The Administration of Governor Wike has no regard for rule of law and feelings for the poor masses.

“You will further recall that the manager was held by the Administration of Governor Wike and kept in this gangster Stadium facility and surreptitiously tried and convicted last week with a fine of N50,000 and to be isolated for 14 days. This is the worst abuse of citizens’ human rights under the Quarantine Act.

“The Rivers State Government and Governor of Rivers State must be held liable for infecting my manager who is in their custody for over 15 days with COVID-19. He was a very healthy person before his arrest. It is, therefore, medically impossible that the infection occurred before his detention.

“It is a known fact that I and the Rivers State Government are at daggers drawn over demolition of my hotel. It is a beastial act for the same Government to convict my manager and now infect him with the novel Coronavirus. It is also known that the plan of the Governor is to kill my manager and his lawyer by conducting some unorthodox medical tracing to the lawyer.

“The manager is currently under pressure to take some unorthodox drugs that are non-compliant to the NCDC prescription and treatment procedures.

“The whole world should be aware that Governor Wike wants to kill the manager to convince the public that infected persons were in the hotel, all in an attempt to justify his illegal demolition of the hotel on the 10th of May 2020. The society should therefore be concerned just as I am worried.”

News

It’s only a fool that links people to criminal activity because they appeared in a group picture- Dogara replies APC

Published

on

The former Speaker of the House of Representatives, Yakubu Dogara, has replied the All Progressives Congress to establish the link between himself and alleged multinational fraudster, Ramon Abbas Igbalodely, better known as Hushpuppi.

Dogara who is a member of the People’s Democratic Party and a current reps member said this following a statement by the APC, signed by its Deputy Publicity Secretary, Yekini Nabena, which demanded the probe of some PDP leaders, including the immediate past President of the Senate, Bukola Saraki; former Vice-President and PDP’s 2019 presidential candidate, Atiku Abubakar; and Senator Dino Melaye, among others, over their alleged contact with Hushpuppi in times passed.

Dogara reacted to the allegation in a statement issued by his media aide, Turaki Hassan, entitled ‘The Fatuous and Infantile Statement by the Smellfungus Called Yekini Nabena’.

Dogara through Hassan pointed to Nabena that APC members, including incumbent Governors who were spotted frolicking in photos with suspected internet fraudster, Mompha who was charged by the EFCC should be called out as well.

MORE READING!  Ondo Health Commissioner dies of COVID-19

According to The Punch, Hassan said,

“This smellfungus called Nabena should have known that it is sheer mindlessness to attempt to execute mischief and blackmail in plain sight before the public some of whom are better informed. Who is that fool that links people to criminal activity simply because they appeared in a group picture at a public event comprising of people from different walks of life?

“If appearing in a group photograph is what Nabena is now using to establish a link or connection to crimes or alleged criminals, then, why didn’t he issue such a statement in the wake of the arrest of a suspected money launderer by name Ismaila Mustapha, aka Mompha, whose pictures with notable personalities including some APC governors are all over the social media? Is Nabena guilty of selective amnesia or share perfidy? Who is Nabena scared of? Who is he trying to fool?”

He added,

“For the records, Rt Hon Yakubu Dogara has agreed to waive his right to a trial and go to jail if Nabena establishes any form of links or connection between him and the alleged cybercriminal before the event where the picture was taken and after the event until now. For Rt Hon Yakubu Dogara, that picture was just another picture among the thousands, if not hundreds of thousands of such pictures with Nigerians from all walks of life.

“If the said Nabena is worth his salt, next time he speaks, he should speak to issues affecting the welfare of our union, which are well known to all discerning Nigerians. Nabena should or ought to know that there is no honour in speaking about group pictures taken at public events when the nation is bleeding and most Nigerian families are struggling and hurting.”

Continue Reading

News

LASG warns against drain stuffing

Published

on

The Lagos State Government on Sunday appealed to residents to stop dumping refuse into drains, which was reducing the life span of road infrastructure across the state.

The Special Adviser to the Governor on Works and Infrastructure, Mrs. Aramide Adeyoye said this while inspecting urgent palliative works being carried out by the Lagos State Public Works Corporation on Mile 2 section of Lagos – Badagry Expressway.

Adeyoye said the inspection was part of efforts to promote sustainability of roads,

“Though the rehabilitation and expansion work on the Lagos-Badagry Expressway is progressing as scheduled, it has become necessary to intervene and make the Mile 2 section of the road motorable for commuters plying the route,” she said.

A statement by Mr. Shina Odunuga, spokesman of the ministry, said Adeyoye visited the site in company with the Special Adviser to the Governor on Drainage, Mr. Joe Igbokwe, and called for attitudinal change by residents.

MORE READING!  Benue University VC tests positive for Coronavirus

She lamented the huge volume of the refuse removed during the palliative works from the drains along the Mile 2 section and its attendant impact on the dilapidated state of the road.

According to the Special Adviser, a road is as good as its drains as dumping refuse inside drains compromises the integrity of the asphaltic surface.

“It also undermines the durability of the roads, especially now that the rains are here; without a functional drainage system, the roads provided cannot be sustained”, she said.

Adeyoye sought the support of residents to curb wastage from continuous funding of road rehabilitation only for them to degenerate after a short time.

MORE READING!  Africa records over 444,000 cases of COVID-19

The special adviser stressed the need for the repair works to be allowed to last, to prevent a situation where the state would start grappling with bad roads again after the rainy season.

“Now that palliative is being provided, it is also important to address the root cause of the state of the roads by changing our habits.

” By changing our habits, our roads will last longer, and refraining from indiscriminate dumping of refuse into the drains will prevent flooding and the attendant bad roads.

“When drains are provided for roads, they are not meant for solid waste disposal, rather they are pathways for water to run.

“When the drains are choked and the cross culverts are blocked, the asphalt surface will become waterlogged thereby accelerating the rate of dilapidation of the roads,” she said.

Adeyoye advised residents to take ownership of the road infrastructure and keep faith with the governor on the implementation of the THEMES Agenda.

MORE READING!  CMD tests positive for COVID-19 in Ondo
Continue Reading

News

Russian COVID-19 cases rise by 6,736 to 681,251

Published

on

Russia recorded 6,736 new COVID-19 cases in the past 24 hours, taking its total to 681,251, the country’s coronavirus response center said in a statement on Sunday.

The death toll rose by 134 to 10,161, while 450,750 people have recovered, including 3,871 over the last 24 hours, said the statement.

Moscow, the country’s worst-hit region, reported 650 newly-confirmed cases, taking its tally of infections to 224,860.

MORE READING!  Dave Umahi, aides test positive for COVID-19

On Saturday, 280,347 people were still under medical observation, while more than 21 million virus tests have been conducted nationwide, Russia’s consumer rights and human well-being watchdog said on Sunday in a separate statement.

Continue Reading




Trending