Connect with us

Sports

Two men threaten to ‘kill’ Mesut Ozil, defile mom

Published

Mezut Ozil

Two men who threatened to ‘kill’ Arsenal’s Mesut Ozil and defile his mother as they threatened his security guards have been arraigned before a court in North London.

The suspects Salaman Ekinci and Ferhat Ercun deny behaving in a threatening or abusive manner outside the north London home of the Gunners midfielder.

According to Sky Sports, security guard Kemil Sezer told Highbury Corner Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday that he and a colleague had been protecting the World Cup winner for several weeks after an unrelated attack on the midfielder.

Assisted by a Turkish interpreter, he told the court he first saw two men around 7.30 pm on August 8 last year before they returned around three hours later when it was dark.

MORE READING!  Man cries out after girl he picked from club refused to leave after spending two days in his house

He said:

They swore in Turkish, saying ‘f*** your mothers, we’re going to f*** Mesut’s mother and we’re going to come back in five minutes and if security don’t go from here, we’re going to kill Mesut Ozil and kill you’.

“We started chasing them … we got angry because Mesut Ozil, about two to three weeks prior, was attacked and we feared that the same thing would happen.”

Asked by prosecutor Sarah Gabay how he felt, he said:

Stressed … Mesut Ozil is loved by the Turkish people.

“We have that responsibility on us to protect him.

Ozil, 31, who won the 2014 World Cup with Germany, is of Turkish heritage and was not present at the hearing.

MORE READING!  Man City goalkeeper, Claudio Bravo, set to join Real Betis

Ekinci and Ercun, both 27, and both of Tottenham, north London, appeared at the trial dressed smartly in dark suits and waistcoats for trial over the alleged incident.

Ms Gabay said Ekinci and Ercun were detained by the guards after they returned for a third time after midnight before police were called.

MORE READING!  Barca reject RB Leipzig, Gladbach offers for Ilaix Moriba

She said:

“In interview both defendants denied using the language and said they had been no conversation between them and said they had been attacked by the security guards.”

Recall that in July 2019, Ozil and his Arsenal teammate Sead Kolasinac were attacked by two men wielding knives in London.

Ozil’s Mercedes Benz G-Class was ambushed by the robbers on a motorbike as he drove through a street in London around 5 pm.

 

Sports

UEFA Champions League: Barcelona player tests positive for Covid-19

Published

on

An unnamed Barcelona player has tested positive to COVID-19, though their upcoming Champions League clash with Bayern Munich is not in doubt.

According to the Spanish club, the player who tested positive was not included in Quique Setien’s final shortlist for Friday’s quarter-final tie against Bayern.

The statement released by Barcelona read;

“Following PCR tests conducted this Tuesday afternoon on the group of nine players due to begin the pre-season today, one of them has tested positive for Covid-19.

“The player has no symptoms, is in good health and has been quarantined at his home. The club has reported the matter to the relevant sporting and health authorities.

“All persons who have been in contact with the player have been tracked to perform the corresponding PCR tests.

“The player has not been in contact with any of the senior team players who are scheduled to travel to Lisbon this Thursday to compete in the Champions League.”

The statement also linked to a page confirming the nine players that had returned to pre-season training, including Pedri, Trincao, Matheus Fernandes, Jean-Clair Todibo, Moussa Wague, Carles Alena, Rafinha, Juan Miranda and Oriol Busquets.

MORE READING!  Barca reject RB Leipzig, Gladbach offers for Ilaix Moriba
Continue Reading

Sports

Valencia sell Coquelin to Villarreal

Published

on

Valencia have sold midfielder Francis Coquelin to La Liga rivals, Villarreal, a move that has heaped further criticism on owner Peter Lim over his management of the club.

Both teams announced on Wednesday that Coquelin, 29, has penned a four-year contract with Villarreal, who finished fifth last season to qualify for the Europa League and last month named former Arsenal manager Unai Emery as coach.

Coquelin joined Valencia in 2018 for 14 million euros after a 10-year stay at Arsenal. No financial details were given on his move to Villarreal but local media reported that the transfer fee was 8 million euros (7.23 million pounds).

MORE READING!  Man Utd could hijack Chelsea’s move for Kai Havertz

He made 36 appearances for Valencia in all competitions in a chaotic campaign for the club, who finished ninth and sacked manager Marcelino in September before dispensing with his successor Albert Celades in July.

Former Watford coach Javi Gracia was appointed as the club’s latest coach at the end of last month.

According to Spanish media reports, Valencia captain Dani Parejo is also set to join Villarreal, one of Valencia’s closest competitors, unleashing a new wave of criticism from supporters and former players against Singaporean billionaire Lim.

MORE READING!  Edo 2020: Trying to impeach Obaseki is a waste of time- APC

Former Valencia goalkeeper Santi Canizares has led the criticism on social media, while supporters group Salvem Nostre Valencia (Let’s Save Our Valencia) has called for a protest later on Wednesday outside the club’s Mestalla stadium.

Lim, who bought the club in 2014, made the surprising decision to sack Marcelino last year soon after he led the club to Copa del Rey glory and qualification for the Champions League for a second consecutive season.

MORE READING!  Spending money on a girl doesn't make her love you- Reno Omokri tells men

Valencia also sold promising youngster Ferran Torres, believed to be one of the brightest hopes in Spanish football, to Manchester City earlier this month for 23 million euros.

Lim has also received criticism from the city’s vice mayor for failing to fund the construction of the club’s unfinished Nou Mestalla stadium where work began in 2007 but was halted in 2009 due to Spain’s economic crisis.

Continue Reading

Sports

Champions League: Mbappe ready for clash with Atalanta – Tuchel

Published

on

Kylian Mbappe

Kylian Mbappe is set for a sensational return to action for Paris Saint-Germain in their Champions League quarter-final clash with Atalanta on Wednesday.

The 21-year-old had been expected to miss out after suffering an ankle injury in the Coupe de France final win over Saint-Etienne on July 24.

However, PSG boss Thomas Tuchel has now suggested Mbappe is ready to play a role from the bench.

“If he has a good training session today and nothing extraordinary happens, he will be with the team tomorrow,” Tuchel told his pre-match press conference.

“We are very happy that he is with the group and that we can have the possibility of finishing the match with him.”

If Mbappe does feature, even if only from the bench, it will represent a remarkable change of fortunes for PSG.

MORE READING!  Champions League: Mbappe ready for clash with Atalanta – Tuchel

Tuchel has previously said he thought it would take a “miracle” for Mbappe to be fit in time for the game, as the French champions look to stake their claim for the European crown.

Having Mbappe back eases some of the pressure on Neymar, although Tuchel feels the Brazilian has the mindset and ability to carry the PSG attacking threat if needed.

“I have the impression that there is always a lot of pressure on him, but he likes it,” said Tuchel of Neymar. “He is used to playing with this pressure.

“We are very happy that Kylian is also with the group and that we can have the possibility to finish the match with him, because the two like to play together.

“Neymar is decisive on the big matches and I am convinced that he can be the key man for us. He has the necessary quality for this kind of situation.”

Mbappe has scored 30 goals and registered 18 assists in 34 games in all competitions for PSG this season, their top scorer ahead of Mauro Icardi and Neymar.

MORE READING!  Prophet defrauds woman of N2m, impregnates her two teenage daughters
Continue Reading




Trending