Serie A club Cagliari again escaped sanctions over alleged racist behaviour by their fans.
This was after the league’s disciplinary tribunal decided on Tuesday not to take action over monkey noises aimed at Inter Milan’s Belgian forward Romelu Lukaku.
The tribunal said in a statement on Tuesday that “in terms of dimension and real perception”, the chants could not be considered discriminatory under the league’s disciplinary code.
“The tribunal has decided not to apply sanctions to Cagliari,” it said, referring to the incidents in the match on Sept 1.
Cagliari were, however, fined 5,000 euros ($5,530) after their fans threw plastic bottles onto the field in a 3-1 win at Parma on Sunday.
Against Inter, monkey noises could be heard from the Cagliari supporters as Lukaku stepped up to take a penalty which he converted to give his side a 2-1 win.
Lukaku said at the time that he had been a victim of racism and Cagliari called the fans’ behaviour shameful.
The tribunal said in a statement that public security officials had informed it of “chants, animal noises and jeering” towards Lukaku.
It added, however, that “these were not interpreted by the stewards nor federation delegates as discriminatory.”
The tribunal used similar arguments last season when it declined to sanction Cagliari after alleged racist insults were aimed at Moise Kean, who was playing for Juventus at the time.
In 2017, Ghanaian midfielder Sulley Muntari, playing for Pescara at the time, walked off the pitch, also complaining of racist abuse at Cagliari’s ground.
Serie A took no action against Cagliari, saying only around 10 fans were involved.
The tribunal made no mention of the alleged racist insults which media reports said were aimed at AC Milan’s Ivorian midfielder Franck Kessie during a 1-0 win at Verona on Sunday.
Verona said that their fans jeered the referee but denied racism.
Italian football has been blighted by racism over the last decade. In one incident in 2013, AC Milan walked off the pitch during a friendly against a lower division side in protest at racist chanting.
In 2014, Carlo Tavecchio was elected head of the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) weeks after making a comment about a fictitious African player he named Opti Poba “eating bananas”.
The FIGC cleared him of wrongdoing but he was barred from holding any position with world soccer’s governing body FIFA for six months. (Reuters/NAN)
Female footballer Chi Chi shows off six packs abs (photo)
Former professional footballer Chi-Chi Igbo took to social media to show off her abs and biceps.
Chichi took to Instagram to show photos and captioned it “Raw snack #organic”
See her photo below;
Davido please borrow me your jet, Asisat Oshoala who is stranded in Spain begs
Super Falcons striker Asisat Oshoala seems to be finding it hard to return home due to the lockdown in Spain, where she plays for Barcelona Femení.
The four-time African Women’s Footballer of the Year winner indicated that she misses her family and would really love to return home.
This is coming as a result of the cancellation of the Spanish Primera Iberdrola earlier this month due to the COVID-19 outbreak.
Taking to her Twitter page and writing in Pidgin English, Oshoala wrote, “Abeg who get private jey wey him no dey use for now. Please comman carry me from barcelona to Lagos, I want to go home.”
Abeg who get private jet wey him no Dey use for now 😩😩, please Comman carry me from Barcelona to Lagos 😭😭😭…..I want to go home 😩😩
— ASISAT M.O.N (@AsisatOshoala) May 22, 2020
Asisat then pleaded with music sensation Davido to lend her his jet, so she could come home, her tweet below;
Davido biko can I CALL YOU ?
Comman borrow me your jet 🌚🌚 @davido 🤣
— ASISAT M.O.N (@AsisatOshoala) May 24, 2020
Oshoala contributed 26 goals in all competitions for Barcelona, including 20 in 19 league games to emerge as the league’s second-highest scorer during the 2019-20 season.
Odion Ighalo reportedly banned from returning to China until October
Odion Ighalo is ‘edging ever closer to an extended stay at Manchester United’ after it was revealed the Chinese Super League’s foreign players are set to be banned from returning until October.
Ighalo moved to Old Trafford on a short-term loan deal from Shanghai Shenhua back in January, but despite impressing in his spell in England his future is currently unclear amid the coronavirus pandemic.
The striker’s loan deal is set to expire this Sunday, leaving him in limbo between England and China, but his agent has now revealed that an extension is close to being agreed.
“On the one hand, the Super Eagle [Nigerian] feels very good in Manchester with which it is very close to a salary agreement,’ Ighalo’s agent Ladi Salami told FootMercato.
“Negotiations with the Chinese are ongoing and are going well. On the other hand, in view of the latest regulations in force in the Middle Empire, it is almost impossible to offer such amounts.”
The news of Ighalo’s potential extension to his time at Manchester United comes amid reports in China that foreign players may not be able to return to the country until October – despite the new season being set to start next month.
Up to a third of the Chinese Super League’s players are currently outside of China and face being refused entry until much later in the year, according to Sike football reporter Miao Yuan.
Ighalo is among a huge group of players and managers that fall into that category, including Dalian Yifang manager Rafa Benitez.
The ex-Newcastle boss, and two of his new signings Marcus Danielson and Sam Larsson, have been waiting for news in Hong Kong on when they will be allowed back into mainland China amid the pandemic.
Alleged forgery: Arrest warrant on two Sri Lankans still stands, judge says
Mother who drowned own child remanded at LUTH
JUST IN: FG to release guidelines on reopening schools
Children’s Day: Speaker seeks collective efforts to end out of school syndrome
Gani Adams welcome set of twins with wife
If your marriage will not last please don’t sell me expensive aso-ebi- Soberekon warns intending couples
Hajj 2020: Kwara pilgrims board allays fear of cancellation
After 19 years it’s time to police your own country – Trump tells Afghanistan ahead of planned withdrawal of troops
Do face masks made from clothes prevent Covid-19? NAFDAC provide answers
Man who leaked Buhari’s speech before nationwide broadcast has been caught
Rolls-Royce to cut up to 8,000 Jobs
I will resign from Buhari’s government if… – Keyamo
Man, brother in-law beat wife’s ‘boyfriend’ to death
Kaffy pens down painful tribute to Kodak
Kim Jong-un may have faked his death to expose traitors in his circle- Report
JUST IN: Nigeria records highest COVID-19 cases, deaths in West Africa
White woman lies against black man in New York Park, gets sacked (Video)
VIDEO: Seven-year-old boy, taught by Boko Haram, demonstrates gun handling and shooting strategies
VIDEO: Seven months pregnant doctor saving COVID-19 patients from death
I nearly committed suicide over N20m debt – Real Warri Pikin
Armed men on motorcycles attack Lekki security guards (video)
Corpse of actress Destiny Etiko’s dad arrives Enugu for burial [Video]
Video: I have three chronic health conditions and I’m a Covid-19 survivor – Nigerian lady
My baby likes big ass so I’m getting another butt surgery – Bobrisky
Metro2 days ago
82 years old man stabs his wife, 70+, to death in Imo
News3 days ago
Teenager fakes own death to avoid financial pressure from mother
General2 days ago
Girls are never to be trusted- Young Nigerian boy writes heartbreaking post to his ex-girlfriend on her birthday
Coronavirus2 days ago
United States bans flights from Brazil over coronavirus pandemic
General2 days ago
Marine Beach Bridge: Lagos to effect closure for five months
Nigeria Update2 days ago
Eid-el-Fitr: I observed prayers at home because of COVID-19 – Buhari
Entertainment2 days ago
Whether or not P-Square comes back, not my business anymore – Jude Okoye
General2 days ago
Buhari’s failure to take Atiku’s advice caused Coronavirus spread in Nigeria – Reno Omokri