Connect with us

General

Most internet users live on borrowed clothes, stop copying their lifestyle, Osinbajo’s wife tells youths

Published

internet

Wife of the Vice President, Mrs Dolapo Osinbajo, has appealed to Nigerian youths to desist from copying the lifestyle of people on the Internet, saying it is just an illusion.

Mrs Osinbajo gave the advice on Saturday during a Town Hall Meeting with Benue Youth held at the New Banquet Hall, Benue Government House, Makurdi.

According to her, most internet users live on borrowed robs to impress their fans, they are living illusionary lifestyles that are not in conformity with reality.

“The people on the Internet do not even look like themselves when you see them, they live on borrowed robs. Internet is just an illusion. It is a cartoon.

“This generation has everything to be happy; during our  youthful  days, we had  no phones, no internet, yet we were happy and have produced great Nigerians for you today.

“You need to be responsible else your generation will end up with pilots, medical doctors, nurses, engineers, bankers, security personnels etc that may be all drug addicts,” she advised.

She said a Nigerian child needed to be priceless, top class and should not be seen as a cheap product that can be purchased with as little as a recharge card.

MORE READING!  Repentant Boko Haram members getting soft landing - Security Expert

Osinbajo further appealed to youth using the internet to be cautious of their activities on the net as responsible companies at the moment, investigate applicants’ records including those on the internet before hiring.

A Nigerian prince and princess should have a good background, they should not be bought by a mere recharge card.

“The child that has made himself or herself naked today on the internet cannot be employed in any responsible company in Nigeria tomorrow, because they will check their internet records before employing now.

“Nigeria is waiting for you; the things you do today determines your tomorrow, don’t eat your tomorrow today. Everyone is waiting for you, everyone is praying for you,” she cautioned.

Earlier, in her welcome speech, Mrs Eunice Ortom, regretted that rape and child abuse were on the increase, adding that society was guilty of all social ills in the country.

MORE READING!  Men, if you marry girl raised by single mom, you will forever regret it - social media influencer

Ortom said that government was aware of the numerous challenges facing the youths and pledged to priorities their needs.

She appealed to them to shun substance abuse, hard drugs, rape, child abuse among others.

“We are all guilty of what is happening in our society today. We need to come together, dialogue and resolve our problems.

“We need to do soul searching on the actions that give one direction in life, so take your destiny in your hands,” she advised.

READ ALSO: La Liga: Africa’s Ansu Fati shines as Barcelona beat Valencia 5-2, Madrid scrape 3-2 win [See all results]

The News Agency of Nigeria (NAN) reports that Mrs Osibanjo had earlier inaugurated Mama Abyol Children’s Home and Benue Centre for Enterprise Development and Innovation (BENCEDI).

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Over 25,000 Americans died in July, as cases rose by 1.87m

The centre is a product of the Federal Government support, Benue State Government counterpart funding and partnership with the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP).

General

Flood: FCTA demolishes 102 houses in Gwagwalada

Published

on

The Federal Capital Territory Administration (FCTA) has begun the demolition of about 102 houses built along waterways, following the recent flood incident which had claimed some lives in the Gwagwalada Area Council.

Garba Kwamkur, Deputy Director, Monitoring and Enforcement, Department of Department Control, who led the exercise on Tuesday in Gwagwalada, said that the illegal houses had been marked for demolition over one year ago.

Kwamkur noted that the occupants of the affected houses were given enough time to move out of the flood-prone areas, adding, however, that they had refused to obey the directive.

He said that the government could not spare the houses anymore, following the recent forecast of more rains and consequential flooding that would affect the area.

MORE READING!  Adjust your timetable and stop provoking Muslims forthwith- MURIC tells WAEC

Kwamkur explained that the affected community was part of the land covering about 260 hectares, allocated within the Abuja Master Plan, for the development of the University of Abuja at Gwagwalada.

He, however, expressed the regret that some indigenous people and other squatters were still occupying the land temporarily.

“The University of Abuja had written to us about the encroachment issue. The settlement here that is due for resettlement has grown beyond its boundary.

MORE READING!  Men, if you marry girl raised by single mom, you will forever regret it - social media influencer

“And we had an issue of the flood last week where five persons, who were carried away by the flood, were confirmed dead.

“We actually had to discuss with the village leaders on the need to move away from the flood-prone area,” he said.
“The FCT Emergency Management Agency has also predicted that there would be heavy flood this year.

“So we are taking some precautionary measures; that’s why all the buildings along flood plains will have to go.

“All the contravention notices have been issued since 2019. No government will sit down and do nothing when the lives of its citizens are being threatened by either flood or any other thing,” he said.

MORE READING!  My mum used anointing oil to refry Sallah meat given to us, man says

Responding, the Chief of the community, Mr. Isah Egari, said that he was not opposed to the demolition of the houses built on water channels.

Egari, however, appealed to the FCT administration to give the residents more time to move out of the affected community.

He also called on the demolition team to restrict the bulldozers to the areas close to the water channels to avoid undue hardship on other residents who were not affected.

Continue Reading

General

Lebanon blast kills over 25 people, leaves scores injured

Published

on

Beirut blast

A massive explosion ripped through central Beirut on Tuesday, injuring thousands of people and blowing out windows in buildings across the city.

The blast near the port in the Lebanese capital sent up a huge mushroom cloud-shaped shockwave, flipping cars and damaging distant buildings.

It was felt as far as Cyprus, hundreds of miles away.

At least 25 people were killed in the blast and over 2,500 people have been wounded, Health Minister Hamad Hassan told reporters.

MORE READING!  Ondo fumigates schools ahead of resumption

Footage from the scene captured the injured staggering through streets in the capital; and ambulances, cars and military vehicles packed with the wounded.

One eyewitness described the scenes as “like an apocalypse.”

There were conflicting reports on what caused the explosion, which was initially blamed on a major fire at a warehouse for firecrackers near the port, according to NNA.

The director of the general security directorate later said the blast was caused by confiscated “high explosive materials,” but did not provide further details.

MORE READING!  Repentant Boko Haram members getting soft landing - Security Expert

A red cloud hung over the city in the wake of the explosion as firefighting teams rushed to the scene to try to put out the fire.

At least 10 firefighters were missing, according to the city’s governor Marwan Abboud, who said the scene reminded him of “Hiroshima and Nagasaki.”

“In my life I haven’t seen destruction on this scale,” Abboud said.

“This is a national catastrophe.”

The blast comes at a tense time in Lebanon.

MORE READING!  My mum used anointing oil to refry Sallah meat given to us, man says

On Friday a UN-backed panel is expected to issue a verdict on the 2005 assassination of former prime minister Rafik Hariri, a move many fear will stoke sectarian tensions.

The country is also in the midst of an economic meltdown, with ballooning unemployment, a tanking currency and poverty rates soaring above 50%.

 

 

 

 

CNN

Continue Reading

General

Bayelsa LG chairman’s father regains freedom

Published

on

Eighty-year-old Pa Napoleon Alale, the father of the Sagbama Local Government Chairman, Mr. Embeleakpo Alale, has regained freedom after spending about two months in the den of his alleged kidnappers.

The octogenarian was whisked away from his residence at Agbere, Sagbama, on Friday, May 8, 2020, by unidentified gunmen.

Embeleakpo in a statement on Tuesday by his Press Secretary, Dr. Nikade Anderson, confirmed the release of Pa Alale.

The council chairman revealed that the kidnappers dropped his father at Otuokpoti riverside in Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa at about 1am on Tuesday, after making series of contacts with the family towards securing his release.

MORE READING!  NDA announces new date for screening, gives instructions to candidates

Embeleakpo did not however disclose if the family paid any ransom before securing the release of the aged man.

The council boss, while noting that his father was receiving medical attention to ascertain his health status, expressed appreciation to God over the safe return of his father.

He also expressed gratitude to Governor Douye Diri and his deputy, Lawrence Ewhrudjakpo, for their intervention and moral support while the harrowing experience lasted.

MORE READING!  Repentant Boko Haram members getting soft landing - Security Expert

He also appreciated associates, members of the public, security operatives, and the media for the overwhelming display of solidarity during the trying period.

Meanwhile, the Bayelsa State Police Command says it has arrested one ‘Commander’ Mummy Reuben, the alleged mastermind of Pa. Napoleon Alali.

A spokesman for the command, SP Asinim Butswat, said in a statement after the release of the octogenarian that combined efforts by security agencies led to the arrest of the mastermind.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Over 25,000 Americans died in July, as cases rose by 1.87m

He said the suspect had confessed to how he conspired with others to carry out the kidnap.

Butswat said: “Consequently, the kidnappers released the victim, Pa. Napoleon Alale, aged 80, on Tuesday, August 4, at about 0100hours at Otuokpoti, Ogbia LGA of Bayelsa.

“The Commissioner of Police, Bayelsa State Command, Mike Okoli, has rejigged the security strategy of the command to reduce crime to the barest minimum in Bayelsa.

“Investigation is ongoing to arrest other fleeing suspects.”

Continue Reading




Trending