Connect with us

News

MTN board chairman Pascal Dozie, five other directors retire as Ernest Ndukwe steps in

Published

MTN office

Telecommunication service provider, MTN Nigeria, on Wednesday notified the Nigerian Stock Exchange, the investing public and other stakeholders that some non-executive Directors including the Chairman, Dr. Pascal Dozie, are retiring from its Board after 18 years of service.

It, therefore, announced the appointment of former Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC), Ernest Ndukwe as the Chairman designate.

The Company Secretary, Mr Uto Ukpanah, made this known in a statement made available to newsmen in Lagos and said that the retirement would take effect on September 2.

According to him, it is due to the expiration of their tenure and in compliance with applicable codes of Corporate Governance.

He listed the retiring board members as follows; Dr. Pascal Dozie, CON, Chairman; Col. Sani Bello (Rtd), Vice Chairman; Chief Victor Odili, OON, Non-Executive Director.

Other non-executive directors are Malam Ahmed Dasuki; Mr Babatunde Folawiyo, Mr Gbenga Oyebode, MFR.

Acknowledging the vital contribution made by the outgoing directors over the last 18 years, MTN Nigeria CEO Ferdinand Moolman offered the company’s heartfelt thanks to the pioneering Chairman, Dozie and the outgoing Directors.

Our journey over the last 18 years has been incredible, and it would not have been possible without the initial entrepreneurial spirit of our founding directors, and their unfailing and dedicated support for MTN Nigeria’s vision over the years.

“I could not have asked for a more supportive, knowledgeable and experienced group of advisors,” Moolman said.

Speaking on behalf of the outgoing directors, Dozie said, ”in 2001, when I made the first call on the MTN Nigeria network, I don’t think anyone envisaged the pace and scale of growth that we, and the broader telecoms sector would achieve over the next 18 years.

“It is a unique story that we are immensely proud of, and having served as chairman of MTN Nigeria for all of those 18 years, I achieved a long-held ambition earlier this year, when MTN Nigeria listed on the NSE, providing an opportunity for a wider pool of Nigerians to become investors in the company.

“I cannot think of a better time to be handing over the reins of the company to a new Chairman, and to a new group of distinguished Nigerian Directors.

“Not only is this in line with best practice, which we are fully committed to, as a member of the premium board of the NSE, it is also absolutely aligned to the company’s future.

“On behalf of the out-going directors, I will like to thank the board and management of MTN Nigeria for their support over the years and to welcome the incoming directors.

“They have a hugely exciting future in front of them, and I believe the opportunity to make the next 18 years even more successful than the last,” Dozie said.

The Board also expressed its appreciation to the six directors for their commitment, leadership and extensive contributions to the success of the company since their appointment in 2002.

MORE READING!  Hydroxychloroquine: PTF on COVID-19 backs WHO, cautions NAFDAC

It wished them the very best in all their future endeavours.

The Company announced the appointment of Mr Ernest Ndukwe as the Chairman designate of MTN, and the addition of the following directors with effect from Sept. 2.

According to the statement, with the changes, the board will comprise: Dr Ernest Ndukwe, Chairman Designate, Mr Ferdinand Moolman- Chief Executive Officer, Mr Michael Onochie Ajukwu – Independent Non-Executive Director, Mr Muhammad K. Ahmad, OON -Independent Non-Executive Director.

MORE READING!  2ND term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

Others listed are Mr Andrew Alli – Non-Executive Director, Mr Rhidwaan Gasant, Independent Non-Executive Director; Mrs Omobola Johnson, Non-Executive Director; Mr A.B. Mahmoud, OON, Non-Executive Director; Mr Ralph Mupita, Non-Executive Director.

Others also are Mr Paul Norman, Non-Executive Director; Mrs Ifueko Okauru, MFR, Non-Executive Director; Mr Jens Schulte-Bockum, Non-Executive Director; Mr Rob Shuter, Non-Executive Director; and Mr Karl Toriola, Non-Executive Director.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Cases in Oyo firm, iSON Xperiences, rise to 151

Acknowledging the incoming directors, MTN Nigeria CEO Ferdinand Moolman extended a warm welcome to the incoming Directors.

“The technology industry is fast-moving, and our next 18 years offer a wealth of new and exciting opportunities as a fully digital operator.

“Their combination of extensive experience across the worlds of technology, finance, regulatory and policy development and corporate governance offers a hugely synergistic set of skills that will be of great benefit to us as we move into a new phase of growth,” he said.

 

NAN

 

 

News

COVID-19: Enugu govt. decontaminates Ogbete Main Market

Published

on

The Enugu State Fire Service has commenced the decontamination and fumigation of Ogbete Main Market, Enugu, against the spread of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Addressing newsmen during the exercise on Saturday, the state’s Chief Fire Officer, Mr. Okwudiri Ohaa, said that the exercise would last until Sunday.

It would be recalled that the state fire service carried out the first phase of the exercise in the market on April 1, shortly after the market was shut down by the state government to contain the spread of COVID-19 in the state.

MORE READING!  Expect delays, long hours of checks, re-checks, FAAN warns ahead of airports reopening

During the first phase of the decontamination of the market, the exercise was monitored by Gov. Ifeanyi Ugwuanyi and heads of security agencies in the state.

Ohaa said that the state government had been consistent with the exercise to ensure that “the fight against COVID-19 is won in Enugu State”.

He maintained that the decontamination would be a continuous one, saying that “when the market reopens, it will be a weekly event’’.

He advised residents to continue to adhere strictly to all precautionary measures for containment of COVID-19.

MORE READING!  Military condoning torture, unlawful detention, sexual abuse of children escaping Boko Haram in Northeast 

Ohaa said the guidelines on personal hygiene protocol by World Health Organisation (WHO) and Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC), among others, should be adhered to.

Reacting on behalf of the traders in the market, the Chief Security Officer, Mr. Justus Ezebinagu, commended Gov. Ugwuanyi for the initiative to decontaminate the market for the second time.

Ezebinagu gave an assurance that the traders would comply strictly with the government’s precautionary measures as well as the laid-down protocols by WHO and NCDC.

“When we were told that the governor directed the fire service to come and fumigate the market, the traders were happy because this is the second time they are coming to fumigate the market since this pandemic started.

“We thank our amiable governor for coming to our aid. We are happy.

“Even though the market is partially open for now, we believe that our governor is going to do more in our collective interest,’’ he said.

Continue Reading

News

Buhari‘s nephew, Ibrahim Dauda, dies in Daura

Published

on

Ibrahim Dauda, a nephew to the President, Major General Muhammadu Buhari (retd.), is dead.

Buhari, in a statement by his Senior Special Assistant on Media and Publicity, Garba Shehu, said Dauda died on Saturday in Daura, Katsina State, following a prolonged illness.

In a condolence message, Buhari was quoted as saying the death had robbed the family and the Daura community of one of its finest gentlemen.

“I am deeply touched and devastated by the passing of yet another family member, a man who had demonstrated amazing kindness and honesty in all his dealings.

“The deceased is survived by a number of children, including Dauda Ibrahim, a Chief Administrative Officer in State House, Abuja,” the President said.

He prayed to God to forgive the soul of the deceased and reward his deeds.

MORE READING!  Hydroxychloroquine: PTF on COVID-19 backs WHO, cautions NAFDAC
Continue Reading

News

Four die in Ogun multiple accidents

Published

on

Four persons were confirmed dead, while six others sustained various degrees of injuries in three separate accidents that occurred at different locations in Ogun State on Friday.

This was contained in a statement issued by the Ogun State sector command of the Federal Road Safety Commission (FRSC) and made available to newsmen in Abeokuta, the Ogun State capital.

MORE READING!  Hydroxychloroquine: PTF on COVID-19 backs WHO, cautions NAFDAC

The statement signed by Florence Okpe, FRSC Public Education Officer Ogun State Sector Command disclosed that a total of three road crashes were recorded on Friday in the state.

Okpe said, “the first crash occurred at about 10:30 in the morning along the Abeokuta – Sagamu route around Showo village.

“Two vehicles were involved with registration numbers AKM125AA, a MAZDA bus, and the second vehicle is with registration number KRD34CW a KIA bus “.

“A total of five persons were involved, all-male adult. Three persons sustained injuries but no death was recorded from the crash”.

“The suspected causes of the crash were tyre burst and excessive speed. The Injured were rescued to the Hospital”.

Okpe said, “the second crash occurred at about 1330HRS along the Lagos-Ibadan Expressway around Arepo bus stop”.

” Three persons were involved, all male adults. Two persons sustained injuries, while one death was recorded from the crash”.

Continue Reading




Trending