Connect with us

Politics

Mugabe: Africa has lost one of its finest sons, says Buhari

Published

Buhari Nigerians

President Muhammadu Buhari says Zimbabwe and Africa owe a huge debt of gratitude to former Zimbabwean President, Robert Mugabe, who he describes as a “highly intelligent and courageous leader”.

The president’s Spokesman, Malam Garba Shehu, in a statement issued on Sunday in Abuja, said that the Nigerian leader made the remarks in a condolence letter he personally signed and sent to President Emmerson Mnangagwa of Zimbabwe.

The president had, on Sept. 6, condoled with the government and people of Zimbabwe over the demise of their former president.

MORE READING!  Buhari’s failure to take Atiku’s advice caused Coronavirus spread in Nigeria – Reno Omokri

He had noted that the late Mugabe fought and sacrificed so much to liberate his country and free his people from minority occupation.

The letter read in part:

“Zimbabwe and Africa owe a huge debt of gratitude to this highly intelligent and courageous leader who fought and sacrificed so much to liberate his country and free his people from minority occupation.

“He was also in the vanguard of the fight to free several countries of Southern Africa from apartheid and colonialism. He was a true pan-Africanist and patriot. Africa has lost one of its finest sons.

Buhari said that Mugabe led his country to greater heights after independence until the economic sanctions imposed by Western countries, on account of the expropriation of land occupied by White Zimbabweans, crippled his country economically.

“As we join Zimbabwe and other African countries to mourn the departure of this great leader, please accept, on behalf of the government and people of Nigeria and on my own behalf, our sincere condolences,” the letter further read. (NAN)

Politics

FG’s circular warning officials against leaking documents gets leaked

Published

on

The Head of Service of the Federation, HoS, Dr. Folasade Yemi-Esan, has written to the top officials of the Federal Government against leaking official documents, just as the circular conveying the warning was also leaked to the media.

The HoS, in a circular, numbered HCSF/109/S.1/120 and dated May 22, 2020, stated that leading official documents embarrasses the government, threatening those caught involved in the act with dismissal from service.

The circular, sighted by Tribune, was addressed to Chief of Staff to the President, Deputy Chief of Staff to President, Office of the Vice President, Ministers, Secretary to the Government of the Federation, Permanent Secretaries, and Service Chiefs/Inspector-General of Police.

MORE READING!  Governorship candidate: PDP chieftain urges party to pick from Ondo South

Others government functionaries who received the circular include Governor, Central Bank of Nigeria, Chairman, Federal Civil Service Commission, Chairman, Police Service Commission, Chairman, Code of Conduct Bureau, Chairman, Code of Conduct Tribunal, Chairman, Federal Character Commission, Chairman, Revenue Mobilization, Allocation & Fiscal Commission, Chairman, Independent National Electoral Commission, and Chairman. National Population Commission.

The rest recipients of the circular are Chairman, Independent Corrupt Practices and Other Related Offences Commission, Chairman, Federal Inland Revenue Service, Chairman, National Drug Law Enforcement Agency, Clerk of the National Assembly, Secretary, National Judicial Council, Auditor-General for the Federation, Surveyor-General of the Federation, Chief Registrar, Supreme Court of Nigeria, and Directors-General and Chief Executives of Parastatals/Agencies.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Wike compensates victims, deceased families of 2019 elections

Titled: “Unauthorized circulation of official documents/information on social media,” the circular pointed out that even documents which had been minuted upon were illegally released, describing the action as unfortunate.

It stated:

The attention of the Office of the Head of Service of the Federation has been drawn to the recent unfortunate unauthorised disclosure of official documents on the social media.

“In some cases, official documents that have been minuted on, are also leaked. This irresponsible and reckless action is an act of serious misconduct, with a penalty of dismissal from service, as provided for in Public Service Rules Nos. 030401 and 030402.

“The ugly development is embarrassing to the government and therefore, not acceptable. Any public officer caught engaging in this act of serious misconduct, will be severely dealt with in accordance with the provisions of the Public Service Rules.

“Permanent Secretaries are to draw the attention of all their staff to the contents of this circular and the consequences of breaking the rules.”

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Wike compensates victims, deceased families of 2019 elections

Published

on

Emergency rule: Some citizens plan to cause a breakdown of law and order in River state, says govt

Governor Nyesom Wike of Rivers State has compensated the victims and the deceased families of the 2019 general elections in the Abonema area of the state.

Speaking at a town hall meeting on Monday in Abonema with the victims, deceased families, and the council of chiefs, Wike said a sum of N450m released to the affected Ijaw communities.

MORE READING!  Governorship candidate: PDP chieftain urges party to pick from Ondo South

The governor added that the state government will commence the payment of the compensation from Wednesday, which will be sent to their account numbers.

It was gathered that 37 families who were affected will get N9m compensation each.

Continue Reading

Politics

JUST IN: Chris Ngige speaks on running for President in 2023

Published

on

The Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige, said he reserves the right to contest for any elective posts in 2023.

Mr Ngige said this while debunking reports that he was interested in contesting for the Anambra governorship election scheduled for 2021.

The former Anambra state Governor spoke in his hometown of Alor, Idemili South Local Government Area of the state on Sunday.

MORE READING!  Igbo monarch receives Lagos lawmaker, promises to declare for APC

He, however, noted that he is not interested in becoming governor since he is on a national assignment as Minister.

Ngige said:

“Yes, there have been speculations that I am eyeing the governorship of Anambra State. They have written about it in a lot of media. I am a politician. They have the right to speculate on my next move. My next move is very vast.

“Elections will come in 2023, I have a right to vie for any position. I can vie for Senate.

“I can vie for president if I so wish. Election will be coming in Anambra State, latest November 2021 to elect a successor to Obiano. I am not disqualified. I have a right to say I can run.

“I don’t have interest for now in Anambra governorship because I am on a national assignment.”

 

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Wike compensates victims, deceased families of 2019 elections
Continue Reading




Trending