Connect with us

General

My child’s abductor was a new convert in our church – mother of kidnap victim

Published

Taliban Kidnappers

The mother of a five-year-old girl who was abducted last Wednesday has said that the kidnap suspect, identified as Ahmed, was a new convert in their church.

Ahmed allegedly abducted five-year-old Peace in Yenagoa, Bayelsa State on Wednesday, and has demanded N1m ransom, the victim’s mother, Mrs. Williams Koyoye, has said.

Koyoye on Monday said that the suspect abducted Peace from their residence at Akemfa 1 last Wednesday.

She described Ahmed as a new Christian convert and member of her church.

She, however, appealed to the suspect to release her daughter unconditionally, saying that her family could not afford the ransom.

She also appealed to security operatives to intensify efforts to rescue the girl.

MORE READING!  Nigerian businessman, accused of theft, beaten to death in India [Video]

Narrating the incident amidst tears, Koroye said that her daughter was abducted while in company with her siblings.

She said she had gone for a church programme on Wednesday evening but came back to discover that the little girl was missing.

She alleged that the suspect left the church programme for her house and allegedly tricked her children to gain access inside.

She said that he allegedly told the children that he was sent by their father to buy fuel, adding that he took the girl along with him.

Koroye said: “The man who did this is Ahmed. He hails from Sokoto and is our family friend, residing in our neighbourhood here at Akemfa 1.

“He is a new convert who embraced Christ and has been our acquaintance and member of our church, the children know him and believed him.

“When I came back and they told me that Ahmed took the girl, we immediately checked his house and discovered that he had left.

“He had earlier asked me to give him my phone so he could use it to take selfie.

“It was when it became clear that he had absconded with my baby that I realized that he deceived me in order to take my phone along with my baby.

“It was when my husband came back and said he did not send Ahmed on any errand that it became clear that he was up to a sinister plot.

He later called and asked for N1m. I am surprised because he knows that we cannot raise that money.

“So, we are praying for God to intervene so that Ahmed can release my daughter unconditionally.”

When contacted, SP Asinim Butswat, the Police Public Relations Officer in Bayelsa, said that the Command had commenced investigation and manhunt for the suspect.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG reviews nationwide curfew

Butswat said that no arrest has so far been made.

PUNCH

General

Ogun inaugurates small claims court

Published

on

The Ogun government on Monday inaugurated a Small Claims Court as part of efforts to bring justice closer to the people and ensure quick dispensation of justice.

The Chief Judge of Ogun, Justice Mosunmola Dipeolu, at the inauguration held at the State High Court, Isabo, said that the court was established to provide easy access to an informal, inexpensive and speedy resolution of simple matters.

According to Dipeolu, the court deals with simple matters such as debt recovery disputes, demands, and damages that do not exceed N500,000.

MORE READING!  Bayelsa shuts six churches for violating COVID-19 safety protocols

She said that the establishment of such a court was aimed at bringing justice closer to people at the grassroots level.

”The small claims court is targeted at some people who might find it difficult to hire the service of lawyers.

” The method of operation at the court is very simple. Litigants do not need lawyers to file claims or defend same and fees are also quite cheap and affordable,” she said

The chief judge added that the small claims court were time-bound, noting that the entire proceeding from inception till judgment was not expected to last more than 60 days.

MORE READING!  Monkeys attack lab assistant, escape with COVID-19 samples

She also said the operation at the small claims court would commence in six carefully chosen Magisterial Districts which were in Abeokuta, Ota, Ifo, Ijebu-Ode, Sagamu, and Ilaro.

The success of the court, she said, would determine to open in other magisterial districts.

Earlier, the chief judge had sworn in two magistrates–Mrs. Alaba Sakirat Yetunde and Siyanbola- Alli Aminate Abosede.

MORE READING!  SAD! Nigerian man presents NYSC certificate to late mum at her grave (photo)

She urged the magistrates to uphold the ethics of the profession and dispense justice without fear or favor.

Continue Reading

General

Domestic flights to resume June 21, says Sirika

Published

on

The Minister of Aviation, Sen. Hadi Sirika, has announced that domestic flights, which had been suspended since March due to the outbreak of coronavirus in the country, will resume on June 21.

A statement issued on Monday in Abuja by Mr. James Odaudu, Director of Public Affairs in the ministry, quoted Sirika as saying this at the briefing of the Presidential Task Force on COVID-19.

According to Sirika, the resumption of flights will be based strictly on the implementation of the approved protocols for the safe operations of the airlines.

“ The three-week period between now and the resumption date is to enable the operators adhere to all the necessary industry regulations, without which they cannot take to the skies after being dormant for some time.

“This is because aviation, unlike other sectors, is a highly regulated one,” he said.

The minister added that consultations had been on between the ministry and the industry’s stakeholders on the best ways to operate profitably, while, at the same time, ensuring the safety of travelers upon resumption.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: NMA, NANNM, PSN speak on reopening of worship centres

Sirika cautioned owners of private aircraft, who, he said, were in the habit of asking for permits to fly within the country despite the restrictions in place, to desist, as the restrictions were still in place.

“ Except for those on essential services, which have been clearly defined,” the minister added.

He said that since approval for flights on essential services was not being paid for, it would take little or no time to grant it.

MORE READING!  Air Peace evacuates 301 Chinese out of Nigeria

Sirika warned against people allowing themselves to be scammed by those outside the approving authorities.
He pointed out that the sector, under his watch, had zero tolerance for corrupt practices since his assumption of office as minister.

The minister also expressed gratitude to the stakeholders in the aviation sector for their cooperation, in spite of their unquantifiable losses, occasioned by the lockdown since March.

MORE READING!  SAD! Nigerian man presents NYSC certificate to late mum at her grave (photo)

He assured that everything humanly possible would be done to ensure speedy recovery of the sector.

Continue Reading

General

COVID-19: Aisha Buhari renovates 15-bed capacity facility in Nasarawa

Published

on

First Lady Aisha Buhari has renovated and equipped a 15-bed capacity ward in Mararaba Gurku Medical Centre in Nasarawa State to provide a conducive atmosphere for COVID-19 patients.

Buhari also built two sanitary and administrative block in the facility.

Buhari, who was represented by Dr Haji Sani, Senior Special Assistant to the President on Women Affairs and Administration, said the facility was part of her effort towards supporting the state in the fight against COVID-19 pandemic.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: FG reviews nationwide curfew

She urged the management of the centre to ensure proper maintenance of the facility.

The first lady also distributed personal protective equipment (PPEs), food items and other medical equipment.

Buhari enjoined residents of the state to sustain prayers against the spread of coronavirus pandemic in the country.

In his response, the Nasarawa State deputy governor and Chairman, State Taskforce on COVID-19, Dr Emmanuel Akabe, thanked the first lady for the gesture and promised to make judicious use of the facility.

MORE READING!  Bayelsa shuts six churches for violating COVID-19 safety protocols

Akabe said the state government was making frantic efforts towards containing the spread of the pandemic in the state.

He said the facility would be used as one of the isolation centres to cater to the COVID-19 patients in the state.
Also speaking, the Chief Medical Director, Nasarawa State Hospitals Management Board, Dr Usman George, expressed appreciation to the first lady for the gesture.

George said that the facility was one of the sites identified by the state government to treat COVID-19 patients.

”We want to make proper use of this place to have a unilateral flow where you have donning areas where you have personal protective equipment and areas where you remove the personal protective equipment.

”We also intend to put cardiac monitors and one or two ventilators as part of the state government’s response to the coronavirus pandemic,” he said.

Continue Reading




Trending