Connect with us

My world came to an end when I saw Taiye’s body, says mom who lost one of her twins in Lagos building collapse


My world came to an end when I saw Taiye’s body, says mom who lost one of her twins in Lagos building collapse

These definitely are not the best of times for Mrs Adedayo Adedoyin who lost one of her six-year-old twins to the building collapse on No. 63 Massey street in Ita-Faji area of Lagos on Wednesday.

The 3-storey building with a penthouse, which housed Ohen Nursery and Primary school on the 3rd floor, collapsed on Wednesday around 10 am, claiming lives of occupants among whom were pupils of the school.

Grief and sorrow were boldly written on her face as she relished memories of her late son.

Adedayo had taken Taiye and Kehinde Adedoyin to school like every other parent on the morning of the unfortunate incident, only for her to receive calls from neighbours a few hours after that tragedy had struck.

MORE READING!  Presidential Election: Justice Bulkachuwa withdraws from tribunal for personal reasons

“When I heard about it, at first I didn’t believe it. I rushed down to the school and I felt like my world had come to an end when they brought out Taiye dead but Kehinde is still alive,” the bereaved mother said.

She couldn’t hold back tears as family members and sympathisers at the Lagos Island General Hospital console her.

Although she is still thrown into mourning over the loss of Taiye, the big dilemma before her now is how to break the news of Taiye’s demise to his twin sister, Kehinde who had a fracture on her leg and is presently being treated at the Hospital.

MORE READING!  ‘Game of Thrones’ books will have different ending, says author

Adedayo said “Kehinde is gradually recovering, and when she fully recovers she will ask of Taiye because they are very fond of each other. What will I tell her when we get home? Where will I tell her her twin brother is? I don’t know how to tell her, I don’t want to lose her too,” she said as tears rolled down her face.

Rescue operation at the collapsed building had since ended at 3:00am when officials of the Lagos State Emergency Management Agency (LASEMA) sad they recovered the last body of a male who was brought out dead.

MORE READING!  Philippine to return waste dumped in country by Canada

Residents in the neighbourhood claimed that the building had been giving signs it would collapse soon, but the developer who is in charge of the management of the building and the occupants didn’t pay attention to it.

A woman, identified as Alhaja whose house was behind the collapsed building said they had reported the building to authorities at the state ministry at Alausa Ikeja, but no action was taken.

One of the residents also confirmed that the building had initially been cordoned off by the State government, but was renovated before it was re-opened for letting again before Wednesday disaster.

Click to comment

More in News

To Top