Connect with us

News

N2.1bn pension scam: EFCC, DSS arrest Maina

Published

The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission [EFCC] and the Department of State Services [DSS] have arrested former Chairman of the Pension Reform Task Force, Abdul-Rashid Maina.

Quoting a source SaharaReporters reported that Maina was arrested in a hotel in Abuja as he attempted escaping by shooting at the DSS operatives detailed to arrest him.

The source said,

“He hid himself in a bulletproof car for several hours before he was forced out by the operatives.

“On the request of the EFCC, the DSS has been monitoring his movement for days before now.”

It was gathered that one Zainab Buratai, a woman who claimed to be a businesswoman and philanthropist in Abuja, by her Twitter handle but no established direct connection with the Chief of Army Staff, said Maina had been using his influence in the police force, to terrorize his extended family.

MORE READING!  Govt can’t risk reopening schools now - education minister

Maina had ordered one of her nephews, Sadiq to be arrested.

Sadiq was beaten to a coma on the allegation of stealing $1.7 million belonging to Maina.

Whereas Maina’s biological son admitted stealing the father’s money and Maina’s son Laila confirmed taking possession of the unspent stolen funds from the son.

Maina’s younger brother, Khalid, was also arrested and detained by officers of the inspector-general’s special team under Abba Kyari.

It took the intervention of senior police officers to secure the release of Khalid last weekend.

Operatives of the anti-graft agency have arrested several agents, couriers, informant and subordinates of Maina in the last two months and several properties hidden under several “proxies and concubines” seized from the fugitive.

MORE READING!  LAUTECH Teaching Hospital threatens to mass bury unclaimed corpses in two weeks

As of the time of filing this report, the DSS was still profiling Maina and possibly would hand him over to the EFCC later today (Tuesday) or sometime soon.

His possession of a firearm, among others, is to be investigated by the DSS

Maina is being aided by top government officials led by Attorney General of the Federation, Abubakar Malami, to evade trial and prosecution following his embezzlement of N2.1 billion pension fund.

Maina in January 2019, secured a court order stopping the EFCC from declaring him wanted.

MORE READING!  Plateau: Corps members who met in state set to wed

A federal high court judge, Justice Giwa Ogunbanjo described the action of the anti-graft agency in declaring Maina wanted as “unlawful”.

A non-governmental organisation, Centre for Law and Civil Culture, had approached a federal high court in Lagos to compel the AGF to account for the assets recovered from Maina.

The suit marked FHC/L/CS/756/2019 has the EFCC as the second respondent.

The group is seeking a mandamus order to compel the AGF and the EFCC to provide it with information on the 270 landed properties, exotic cars, money and other valuables allegedly recovered from Maina.

The group said its suit followed the alleged refusal of the EFCC to oblige its request for information via a December 28, 2018 letter.

News

Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

Published

on

Buhari has only plunged Nigeria into darkness, death and destruction, Fani-Kayode says

Former Minister of Aviation, Femi Fani-Kayode, a staunch critic of the President Buhari-led administration has said that the five years of President Muhammadu Buhari was “disastrous.”

Femi Fani-Kayode disagreed with Special Adviser to Buhari on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina, whose weekly column argued the President’s emergence, saved the nation from collapse in 2015.

Fani-Kayode via his Twitter handle had argued that the emergence of Buhari in 2015 annihilated Nigeria and plunged her into darkness, death, and destruction.

MORE READING!  'Nobody should blame me', Beautician, Nwala reacts to death of billionaire pastor, Keniebi Okoko

He added that the president came to steal, kill and destroy, pointing out that for the last 5 disastrous years that is all he has done.

READ ALSO: 2ND term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

He wrote;

”Buhari’s emergence in 2015 saved Nigeria’s collapse”- @FemAdesina

. Not so my friend! The emergence of Buhari in 2015 annihilated Nigeria & plunged her into darkness, death & destruction. He came to steal, kill & destroy & for the last 5 disastrous years that is all he has done.”

 

MORE READING!  Health ministry shortlists three Nigerian drugs with potentials to cure, treat COVID-19

See Tweet below;

 

Continue Reading

News

2ND term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

Published

on

2ND Term: Buhari to mark ‘low-key’ anniversary, Presidency reveals

The Presidency has said that the first anniversary of the second term of President Muhammadu Buhari will be celebrated in a low-key manner.

This was disclosed in a statement posted by Buhari’s spokesman, Garba Shehu on his official Facebook page.

Shehu, who did not give reasons for the decision, however, said the achievements of the current administration will be reeled out via digital platforms.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Nigeria records182 new COVID-19 cases, total now 8,915

He urged Nigerians to visit presidential handles to read about some of Buhari’s achievements since assuming power in 2015.

According to Shehu: “The First Anniversary anniversary of the Muhammadu Buhari government’s second term will be marked low-keyed.

READ ALSO: Buhari’s Executive Orders are aimed at complementing existing legislations – Malami

“Narratives of the government’s achievements over the past five years which normally would have been showcased by ministers and the party will go digital.

“The last five years have been full of historic achievements. Please go to the Presidential handles and read how the decades-long wishes of the Nigerian people are being met.

“‪Thank you Nigerians for entrusting the country’s government in the hands of President Muhammadu Buhari.‬”

Buhari’s Senior Special Adviser on Media and Publicity, Femi Adesina had yesterday reeled out some of the president’s achievements since assuming power in 2015.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: Confirmed cases in Africa rise over 115,000
Continue Reading

health

FG to use hotels, schools as quarantine, isolation centres

Published

on

Covid-19: Prepare for the worst- FG tells Nigerians

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the Federal Government would require hotels and school dormitories as quarantine and isolation centres because of a shortage of hospital beds.

The minister noted that there were four levels of COVID-19 patients ranging from those on quarantine with zero or mild symptoms to those that would need to be in the intensive care unit.

The minister said,

“We have sadly recorded 254 deaths, most of them are persons associated with other ailments, confirming the general observation that risks are higher for those with illnesses such as hypertension, diabetes and non-communicable diseases.

“We need to continue increasing bed capacity to match the probable number of patients, so that we do not experience horrific scenes of bed space shortages seen in some European hospitals.

“In event of overflow, we can require hotels and school dormitories to be prepared for level 1 which is quarantine, and level 2, is isolation of COVID-19 positive with zero or mild symptoms, to free hospital beds to be dedicated to level 3 which are moderate to severe cases and level 4 which is for the high dependency and the intensive care unit.

“I, therefore, call on activists and philanthropists to work with state governments to scale up non-pharmaceutical measures and beef up infrastructural assets for isolation and treatment in their states.”

Ehanire said Nigeria would review its participation in the World Health Organisation solidarity trial. He also stated that proposals for trial of local remedies for COVID-19 had been sent to the relevant research and testing agencies for scientific evaluation.

MORE READING!  Plateau: Corps members who met in state set to wed

He stated,

“The Madagascar herbs have been received at the Ministry of Health, and were found to consist of two varieties; one labelled to be for prevention and the other for treatment. Samples have been given to three agencies of the Ministry of Health and also to the Ministry of Science and Technology.

“These are normal processes for new preparations to be approved for use in Nigeria, and include toxicological and efficacy tests and clinical trials. Government will investigate all genuine efforts to find homegrown solutions to the pandemic.”

The minister said Madagascar’s drugs had been sent to NAFDAC, National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development, and the Nigerian Institute of Medical Research.

MORE READING!  Govt can’t risk reopening schools now - education minister
Continue Reading




Trending