Connect with us

General

Nigeria imported 20.89bn litres of PMS in 2019 — NBS

Published

The National Bureau of Statistics (NBS), says the country imported 20.89 billion litres of Premium Motor Spirit (PMS) also known as petrol in 2019.

The NBS made this known in its latest report on petroleum products importations statistics for 2019 released on Wednesday.

It said that the country also imported 5.15 billion litres of Automotive Gas (AGO), and 128.11 million litres of Household Kerosene (HHK) in the period under review.

MORE READING!  Don seeks national re-orientation to stop incessant rape

The NBS said 1.07 billion litres of Aviation Turbine Kerosene (ATK) were imported as well as 45.98 million litres of Low Pour Fuel Oil (LPFO).

It said 526.06 million litres of Liquefied Petroleum Gas (LPG) were imported into the country in the year under review.

The bureau noted that zonal distribution of truck-out volume for 2019 showed that 20.58 billion litres of PMS, 5.16 litres of AGO and 270.22 million litres of HHK, 1.05 billion litres of ATK and 84.53 million litres of LPFO were distributed nationwide.

MORE READING!  A focused, detribalised and compassionate leader, Ayuba felicitates with Wase at 56
Advertisement
Click to comment

General

COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume

Published

on

COVID-19: Osun relaxes curfew, asks workers to resume

Governor of Osun State, Adegboyega Oyetola, on Thursday, announced a new set of guidelines that would guide the second phase of the gradual reopening of the state’s economy, following the lockdown imposed by the government in the wake of the COVID-19 pandemic.

He also said all major markets would remain shut, while other markets would be opened but operators must ensure physical distancing and use their face masks, including observing all other precautionary measures in accordance with the established protocols of the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control (NCDC).

The governor had, on Wednesday, ordered the reopening of worship centres, but insisted that adherents of the two religions would only enjoy one hour of worship each on Friday and Sunday respectively, effective Friday, June 5, 2020.

MORE READING!  Don seeks national re-orientation to stop incessant rape

Apart from the reopening of mosques and churches, the governor has further relaxed the curfew earlier imposed on the state. The new curfew will now be from 9 pm to 5 am daily.

He, however, noted that these new measures would be for just two weeks in the first instance, just as he reiterated that the state’s boundaries remain closed.

READ ALSO: On the run COVID-19 patients worry FG

In a statement signed by the Chief Press Secretary to the governor, Ismail Omipidan, the governor noted that the total lockdown earlier imposed on the state from Friday to Sunday has now been eased for the next 14 days in the first instance.

MORE READING!  SAD! Nigerian man presents NYSC certificate to late mum at her grave (photo)

He was, however, quick to add that, notwithstanding the easing of the lockdown, the ban on political, public, religious and any kind of gatherings under whatever guise remains in force.

The governor while thanking the people of the state for their support and cooperation during the period of the lockdown, also enjoined them to ensure the new measures on the gradual reopening of the economy are strictly adhered to.

He added that it was imperative to do that so that the state does not lose the gains it has so far recorded in the fight against the deadly coronavirus in Osun.

Oyetola also urged religious leaders to constantly remind their followers that the fight against COVID-19 is not over and all hands must be on deck to support the fight against the pandemic.

“As you are all aware, the Federal Government a few days ago lifted the ban on religious activities in the country. We have, therefore, lifted ours too after our meeting with religious leaders on Wednesday with specific guidelines.

“In furtherance to that, we have also further relaxed our curfew, as part of measures for the gradual reopening of our economy. Civil Servants on level 7 and above should go to work within normal office hours, while each department should work out and alternate working hours for workers on grade levels 1 to 6,” the governor was quoted to have said.

Continue Reading

General

On the run COVID-19 patients worry FG

Published

on

The Minister of Health, Dr Osagie Ehanire, said the Federal Government was disturbed by COVID-19 patients, who were fleeing isolation centres. This, he said, had worsened the transmission of the virus in communities.

The health minister said the government had problems in trying to convince some COVID-19 positive people that they had the virus.

He said,

“We also have issues with people who test positive and think you are going to look for them and then they run. So the figures don’t tally because people who think you are going to trace them don’t want to go into isolation.”

The health minister explained that the Federal Ministry of Health team sent to investigate the incidents in Kano, Sokoto, Jigawa, Borno, Katsina and Gombe had concluded its work and would submit its final report on Friday (today).

MORE READING!  COVID-19: A’Ibom Assembly makes e-learning training mandatory for teachers

Meanwhile, confirmed cases of coronavirus have increased to 11,516 in Nigeria.

This is after the Nigeria Centre for Disease Control announced 350 new cases of COVID-19 in the country.

The NCDC made the announcement via its Twitter handle on Thursday.

It said,

“On the 4th of June 2020, 350 new confirmed cases and 8 deaths were recorded in Nigeria.

“No new state has reported a case in the last 24 hours.

“To date, 11516 cases have been confirmed, 3535 cases have been discharged and 323 deaths have been recorded in 35 states and the Federal Capital Territory.

“The 350 new cases are reported from 20 states- Lagos (102), Ogun (34), FCT (29), Borno (26), Kaduna (23), Rivers (21), Kwara (16), Ebonyi (17), Katsina (14), Edo (10), Delta (10), Kano (10), Bauchi (10), Bayelsa (9), Imo (8), Plateau (4), Ondo (3), Nasarawa (2), Gombe (1), Oyo (1).”

Continue Reading

General

AfDB boss, Akinwumi Adesina, to face fresh probe

Published

on

The African Development Bank says it has commissioned an independent inquiry into allegations of corruption against its head, Akinwumi Adesina.

The former Nigerian agriculture minister is seeking re-election in August.

But the United States has led calls for him to be investigated on suspicion of embezzlement, preferential treatment for fellow Nigerians in senior appointments, and the promotion of people suspected or convicted of fraud and corruption.

Mr Adesina denies any wrongdoing and was initially cleared of the allegations by an internal investigation.

MORE READING!  SAD! Nigerian man presents NYSC certificate to late mum at her grave (photo)

The institution – one of the world’s five major multilateral development banks – is the only African lender afforded the highest credit rating.

In April, whistleblowers submitted a 15-page report to the bank’s governors detailing alleged embezzlement, preferential treatment for fellow Nigerians in senior appointments, and the promotion of people suspected or convicted of fraud and corruption.

Adesina — who was recently exonerated by an internal inquiry — is the first Nigerian to be in charge of the 56-year-old AfDB, one of the world’s five major multilateral development banks.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: A’Ibom Assembly makes e-learning training mandatory for teachers

Nigeria, whose stake makes it the bank’s biggest shareholder, has made little secret of its support for Adesina.

On Tuesday, Nigerian President, Maj. Gen. Muhammadu Buhari [retd], told Adesina that the country “will stand solidly behind” him in his bid to remain at the helm of the bank.

The bank chief repeated to Buhari his insistence the allegations against him were trumped up and that the US call for a new probe was against the bank’s rules.

MORE READING!  A focused, detribalised and compassionate leader, Ayuba felicitates with Wase at 56

In October 2019, the AfDB raised $115 billion (105 billion euros) in fresh capital, an operation deemed a personal success for Adesina.

It is the only African institution which has a Triple-A rating by credit rating agencies.

Continue Reading




Trending