Connect with us

News

Nigerian, Israeli-born eight-year-old son facing deportation from Israel released after court orders

Published

Christina Blessing and her son, Favour, were arrested because Christina refused to promise she would leave Israel within 21 days, as the authority had demanded.

An Israeli court ordered on Sunday the release of an Israeli-born eight-year-old boy and his mother, a Nigerian national, who were arrested ahead of their deportation, while harshly criticizing the Interior Ministry for their handling of the case.

Christina Blessing and her son Favour were arrested Thursday at the Population and Immigration Authority offices in Beit Dagan, where they arrived to hear the decision on their case. The two were held at the Givon prison in Ramla since.

Custody tribunal Judge Raja Marzouk said that the concern that Christina might refuse to leave Israel does not justify the detention of her minor son.

MORE READING!  Pa James in dire need of help as flood takes over his house

Moreover, Marzouk rejected the Interior Ministry’s request to delay the release by 24 hours so that it could appeal the ruling and ordered the two released immediately.

The judge added that

“The decision to return [Christina and her son] to custody isn’t reasonable or proportionate and violates the detainees’ right to liberty.

“The detainee’s intention to appeal the decision [to deport her and her son within 21 days] doesn’t indicate she would violate the condition set for her release from custody,” the judge added.

Blessing and her son, who live in Tel Aviv, were first arrested three weeks ago and held in detention for six days, after which they were released on a 30,000 shekel ($8,600) bail.

MORE READING!  Dino Melaye mocks suspended EFCC chair, Ibrahim Magu with new song ( Video)

The Blessings were arrested because Christina refused to promise she would leave Israel within 21 days, as the authority had demanded.

Christina’s attorney, Michal Pomerantz, argued that the mother had been given a biased and invalid hearing since she had not violated the conditions of her earlier release. According to the lawyer, Christina hadn’t actually refused to leave, but merely said she would appeal the decision.

“The rearrest of Blessing and her 8-year-old son is nothing less than emotional abuse. It’s sheer cruelty,” said Pomerantz.

“The Interior Ministry’s interpretation of Christina’s intention to appeal its decision as a declaration of intent to violate her release conditions shows the lack of good faith,” the attorney added.

Blessing entered Israel in 2008 on a tourist visa and then applied for asylum, but her application was rejected in 2010. In January 2015 her request to receive residency on humanitarian medical grounds was also rejected. Favour’s father, also a Nigerian national, currently lives in Dubai.

MORE READING!  'My life is ruined,' Man whose pregnant wife cut off his manhood cries out from his hospital bed

Source

News

FRSC confirms 10 dead, three injured in Bayelsa auto crash

Published

on

 The Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC) Command in Bayelsa has confirmed ten persons dead in a road traffic accident along Tombia-Amassoma road in the state.

Mr. Robert Ogom, the Sector Commander, told the Newsmen on Thursday in Yenagoa that three persons were injured in the incident which occurred on Wednesday night.

MORE READING!  FRSC confirms 10 dead, three injured in Bayelsa auto crash

”The incident was a head-on collision involving a truck and a 14-seater bus that had 13 persons on board.

“The impact was heavy on the bus and it caught fire, burning all the occupants. The incident occurred at about 9 p.m.

“Eight of the passengers were burnt to ashes on the spot, two others died at the Niger Delta University Teaching Hospital in Okolobiri.

MORE READING!  Dino Melaye mocks suspended EFCC chair, Ibrahim Magu with new song ( Video)

“By the time our personnel got to the scene, the driver of the truck had run away,” he said.

Ogom blamed the crash on the bad lighting system and speeding by both drivers.

“Drivers should always ensure that their vehicles are in order before entering the road. They should also avoid speeding and dangerous driving,” he advised.

MORE READING!  COVID-19: FG set to convert eligible hospitals to sample collection sites
Continue Reading

News

Lawyer drags Buhari, Senate to court over appointment of Judges

Published

on

Oladimeji Felix Ekengba, a legal practitioner, Thursday dragged President Muhammadu Buhari, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, among others before a Federal High Court, Abuja over the alleged breach of Section 256(2) of the Nigerian Constitution, 1999 in the appointment of judges of the FCT High Court.

In the suit with number: FHC/ABJ/CS/733/2020, Ekenogba held that President Buhari breached some constitution provisions when on July 7 he forwarded the names of 11 persons to the Senate, who include, Abubakar Useni Musa, Edward Okpe, B. Abubakar, M. Francis, Jude Nwabueze, Josephine Enobi, Christopher Opeyemi, Mohammed Idris, Hassan Maryam Aliyu, Fashola Akeem Adebowale and Hamza Muazu, to be appointed as judges of the FCT High Court.

MORE READING!  Hushpuppi's death BY Sam Omatseye

The president had forwarded the names to the Senate for confirmation.

Defendants in the suit are President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, the Attorney General of the Federation and Minister of Justice, the Senate, the Clerk of the Senate, the Chief Justice of Nigeria, and the National Judicial Council.

In the suit, which includes an originating summons, motion on notice and motion ex parte, the lawyer urged the court to make an order of interim injunction restraining the respondents from screening, confirming and/or swearing in the names of the persons as judges of the FCT High Court, pending the hearing and determination of the substantive suit.

In the main motion filed by the lawyer in person, he wants the court to make a declaration that “by virtue of the provision of Section 256(2) of the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria, 1999, the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria cannot abdicate his duties and responsibilities to the Senate for the appointment of persons as judges of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory.

MORE READING!  Hushpuppi is a citizen of Saint Kitts by marriage - PM Reveals

“A declaration that the forwarding of the names of Abubakar Useni Musa, Edward Okpe, B. Abubakar, M. Francis, Jude Nwabueze, Josephine Enobi, Christopher Opeyemi, Mohammed Idris, Hassan Maryam Aliyu, Fashola Akeem Adebowale, and Hamza Muazu all recommended by the National Judicial Council to the President of the Federal Republic of Nigeria as judges of the High Court of the Federal Capital Territory cannot be subjected to the Senate for screening and confirmation contrary to and in breach of Section 256(2) of the Constitution of Nigeria, 1999 as amended.”

MORE READING!  CBN’s adjustment of naira rate will cause inflation- NECA

The lawyer held that the Chief Justice of Nigeria, Justice Tanko Muhammad and the NJC yielded to the clamor for more judges in the FCT High Court to ease the workload on the FCT High Court to meet the cosmopolitan nature of the FCT, but “it is absurd that the President decided to purport to send only 11 names out of the 33 names painstakingly and thoroughly screened/interviewed and recommended by the NJC to the President since April this year.”

The case is yet to be assigned and the date has been fixed for hearing.

Continue Reading

News

Moment U.S based Ghanaian rapper, Jay Gunz was shot dead in his home (Video)

Published

on

The CCTV footage of the moment U.S based Ghanaian rapper Jay Gunz was shot dead has been released.

Jay Gunz was shot dead during a shoot out in his home in Bronx, New York on Sunday, July 5th, 2020.

The footage was released by the New York Police Department, which reacted to the rapper’s death by releasing a video from the shootout.

MORE READING!  Three Nigerian girls trafficked to Lebanon cry out for help as they are about to be sold online

The CCTV footage shows the moment Jay was attacked with two others in their home Bronx, New York. Sharing the video, the New York Police Department wrote;

“On Sunday, July 5th, Police Officers from the 44 Precinct responded to a 911 call for a male shot at 306 East 171 Street.

“Upon arrival, they discovered three males with gunshot wounds. Two of the victims, later died from their injuries, while one remains hospitalized.”

 

Continue Reading




Trending