Connect with us

General

Nigerian man accuses police officer of physically assaulting him and his brother after falsely accusing them of being armed robbers

Published

A Nigerian man has accused a police officer of assaulting him and his brother after falsely accusing them of being armed robbers.

The man identified on Twitter as @Sphinx_Diff who resides in Abuja, recounted how he was allegedly physically assaulted by a police officer who accused him of attempting to steal his rifle.

MORE READING!  Boy arrested for raping a six-year-old girl

Sharing his story he claimed that he was walking with his brother when a police officer hit his head with a rifle.

According to him, the police officer identified as John Utakah, accused him of attempting to steal his rifle at a market place and proceeded to assault him.

Sphinx also claimed the policeman shot at his brother who tried to step in, but missed.

MORE READING!  Poland resumes domestic flights

The policeman and his colleague then continued to beat him up.

 

Read his story below:

 

 

General

Lockdown: Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano. loses over N15m revenue

Published

on

The management of the Abubakar Rimi Market, Kano, says it has lost over N15 million in revenue since the lockdown of the state aimed at curbing COVID-19 spread.

Mr. Muhammad Bashir, the market’s Director of Administration and General Services, gave the figure while addressing newsmen on Wednesday in Kano.

“As a result of this loss, we cannot even pay our staff salaries; we pay our staff from the revenue we generate.

“Every month, we generate over N12 million out of which we normally spend over N8 million as workers’ salaries,” he said.

Bashir said that huge business activities in the market were making social distancing difficult.

MORE READING!  Man shares how he dealt with father who had been raping his 14-year-old daughter since she was seven

The director said that the management of the market had, however, received over 20,000 face masks from the Kano State Government for distribution to traders and customers to reduce COVID-19 spread.

Bashir appealed to the state government to assist the management with funds to enable it to pay workers’ salaries.

MORE READING!  My colleague stabbed my mother twice, raped her- Nigerian soldier narrates

The director said that payment of workers’ salaries would reduce hardship induced by the 45-day-old lockdown.

He hailed the state government’s efforts in fighting the COVID-19 pandemic.

Continue Reading

General

Tanzanian gov’t to crack down on hiking of sugar price

Published

on

Tanzanian Authorities said on Wednesday it will launch a crackdown on sugar traders who have been hiking the price.

Japhet Hasunga, the Minister for Agriculture, said the crackdown followed complaints from the public that traders sold the commodity higher than the indicative price set by the government.

“The crackdown will target one shop after another and traders, who are found for hiking price of sugar, will face the full force of the law,’’ said Hasunga.

“If there are traders who think the crackdown is a joke, let them continue selling the commodity at a high price.

“They should not blame anyone when they face the music,’’ added the minister.

On April 24, the government announced an indicative price of the commodity, which is 2,600 Tanzanian shillings (about $1.12) a kilogram, after sugar price had gone up.

MORE READING!  Buhari will do well to listen to the words of Dangiwa Umar- Fani Kayode says

The rise in sugar price was allegedly attributed to traders, who had hoarded the commodity in warehouses, to create an artificial shortage.

Hasunga said Tanzania’s sugar demand stood at 470,000 tons a year, while the country’s five sugar processing factories had the capacity of producing 378,000 tons in 2019.

Continue Reading

General

It is incoherent and cowardly, Former Facebook staffers denounce Zuckerberg’s stance on Trump posts

Published

on

It is incoherent and cowardly, Former Facebook staffers denounce Zuckerberg's stance on Trump posts

Facebook’s Mark Zuckerberg has been called out by nearly three dozen former employees on his decision not to stand against incendiary posts by U.S. President Donald Trump.

The open letter, initially reported by the New York Times, deepened a crisis facing Facebook’s leadership team, who had to defend their decision at a tense all-hands meeting the day prior following an employee walkout over the issue.

Criticism of Zuckerberg’s hands-off approach to a speech by political leaders crescendoed last week, after rival social network Twitter began putting warning labels on several Trump tweets that the platform said contained misleading information and glorified violence.

MORE READING!  Covid-19: Africa’s cases hit 150,000- WHO

Snapchat likewise took a hard line, boosting Trump’s account on Wednesday from a curated “discover” section of its app which promotes fresh content. It said it would not amplify voices inciting “racist violence.”

Facebook, which left the same posts untouched, did not immediately respond to a request for comment on the letter.

The former employees, including a staffer who opened Facebook’s office in Washington, implored Zuckerberg to implement checks on the speech by political leaders as it does for other users, including fact-checks and labels on harmful posts.

“The company we joined valued giving individuals a voice as loud as their government’s — protecting the powerless rather than the powerful,” they wrote.

Facebook’s current approach, they said, “is not a noble stand for freedom. It is incoherent and worse, it is cowardly.”

The group warned that Trump’s post on Friday, which used the racially charged phrase “when the looting starts, the shooting starts” in reference to protests over the police killing of a black man in Minnesota, could incite violence.

“In an age of live-streamed shootings, Facebook should know the danger of this better than most,” they said.

 

MORE READING!  Global vaccine: UK Prime Minister to host summit on June 4

 

 

 

 

Reuters

Continue Reading




Trending