Connect with us


Nigerian student, 20, allegedly kills own 48-year-old mother in US


A 20-year-old Nigerian, studying at the University of Texas, has been arrested by authorities in the US for allegedly killing his 48-year-old mother, Kehinde Olayeye.

Eyitoluwa Olayeye has been charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, a second-degree felony.

According to reports, police had received a call around 4:45 a.m. on November 6, 2019 about a disturbance at a Holiday Inn located in downtown Austin at 805 Neches Street. The caller had said he heard someone screaming and sounds of a fight coming from their room.

Once at the scene officers knocked on the door of the room the sounds were coming from. After several knocks and no response, they had the hotel’s security officer use a key card to open the door. The door’s latch was engaged, prompting officers to force entry.

According to statesman.comPolice knocked several times on the door of a room on the fifth floor, the affidavit says, but no one responded. The security guard gave officers a key that would let them in but a latch on the door was keeping it shut, and officers had to force their way in.

Officers found a man, identified in the affidavit as 20-year-old Eyitoluwa Olayeye, lying on the back of a woman who was face down on the floor.

MORE READING!  Femi Kuti, children do a special performance to honour health workers (Video)

Olayeye had his arm wrapped around the woman, identified by police as his 48-year-old mother, Kehinde Olayeye.

“A bloody pillow was observed inside the room,” the affidavit says.

Austin-Travis County EMS medics tried to resuscitate Kehinde Olayeye, but she was pronounced dead at 6:12 a.m.

Officers detained Eyitoluwa Olayeye, who appeared to be singing in a different language, the affidavit says. Olayeye had wounds on his left elbow and bicep, swelling on the right side of his face and a bruise on the inside of his right bicep, according to the affidavit.

Olayeye told police he is a junior at UT and went to class on Tuesday. He got out of class at 9 a.m., played basketball and then went to the UT tower.

He remembered praying in front of the tower and then waking up in an ambulance, the affidavit says. He was taken to a hospital where he was asked if he had ever been diagnosed as manic or bipolar. He was released from the hospital after saying he’d never been diagnosed with either, and went to his friend’s apartment.

MORE READING!  Mother of two stabbed to death by her husband in Jigawa

Olayeye’s aunt told police her nephew had called her and his mother in Georgia around 4:30 or 5 p.m. on Tuesday. During the call, he told them he prayed that God would bring them together, then Olayeye’s friends got on the phone and said he’d told them he found his purpose in life but that he’d also touched someone inappropriately at the library on campus.

Olayeye’s mother and aunt decided to fly to Austin, and when they arrived, they picked Eyitoluwa up from his friend’s apartment and went to the Holiday Inn Express & Suites downtown for the night. The family rented two rooms and checked in around 2 a.m. Wednesday.

A witness told police they could hear a woman around 4:15 a.m. banging on doors and screaming, possibly saying “Let me in,” the affidavit says. The witness then heard what sounded like someone being dragged past his room, the affidavit says.

Olayeye, his aunt and his mother were all in the fifth-floor room talking, Olayeye told the police, according to the affidavit. Olayeye’s aunt left to go to sleep in her room on the second floor and Olayeye said no one else ever came into the room.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Umar emerges new EFCC boss, replaces Magu

He told police he remembered his mother standing over him praying while he was laying on a bed, the affidavit says. After that, all Olayeye remembers is being in the back of a police car.

When a detective told Olayeye that his mother had died, “he said that he must have killed her because no one else was there, but he could not remember anything and did not have a reason to kill his mother,” the affidavit says.

The Travis County medical examiner’s office is waiting for toxicology results to give a final ruling on the death of Kehinde Olayeye, but said she had signs of strangulation, according to the affidavit.

Olayeye was in the Travis County Jail on Friday with bail set at $1 million, according to online county records. He was booked on Wednesday and charged with aggravated assault causing serious bodily injury, pending the final autopsy results on his mother, police said.


Court sentences internet fraudster to sweep GRA in Kwara



A judge of the Kwara State High Court, Justice Sikiru Oyinloye, on Thursday, sentenced 25-year-old Victor Salawu to sweep and clear the Government Reservation Area, Ilorin, and pay a fine of N50,000 for his involvement in Internet fraud.

The Ilorin zonal office of the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission arraigned Salawu before the court on one count of Internet fraud.

The charge read:

“That you, Victor Salawu, alias James Chris, sometime in the month of February 2019, in Ilorin, within the jurisdiction of this honourable court, did attempt to cheat by impersonation, by portraying yourself as a white male named James Chris, via your email address, [email protected], to one Seth B. in order to induce him to send you money, a representation you knew to be false.”

The offence, according to the EFCC, was contrary to Section 95 of the Penal Code and punishable under Section 324 of the Penal Code, Laws of the Federation of Nigeria.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Akeredolu names Oluwatuyi new Ondo SSG

Salawu pleaded guilty to the charge.

At the resumed hearing of the matter on Thursday, the prosecuting counsel, Andrew Akoja, told the court about a charge dated June 18, 2020, and prayed that it should be accepted and allowed to be read to the convict.

Delivering his judgment, Justice Oyinloye said:

“The defendant, in his statement to the commission, did not deny the allegation levelled against him; he also did not offer any explanation to discredit the charge.

“This honourable court holds that the plea of guilt of the defendant and the oral testimony of the sole prosecution witness, one Umeh Kennedy, were not challenged nor contradicted during the proceedings.

“It is the opinion of this honourable court that the prosecution has proved its case beyond reasonable doubt and that you, Victor Salawu, is hereby convicted as charged.”

Justice Oyinloye ordered the convict to sweep and clear the Ahmadu Bello Way to the Commissioner of Police’s Quarters in the GRA, Ilorin, and also pay a fine of N50,000.

MORE READING!  Buhari set to sign revised 2020 budget on Friday – Presidency

The judge also ordered that the two iPhones recovered from Salawu be forfeited to the Federal Government with a right to re-purchase it.

Continue Reading


Hushpuppi to appear before a jury, lawyer says



Gal Pissetzky, the legal representative of alleged Internet fraudster, Ramon Abbas, aka Hushpuppi, has said he has a good chance of beating the fraud allegations against him.

The lawyer, who spoke to The PUNCH on Thursday, said he planned to put up “vigorous defence to get him out of the case.”

Pissetzky is a top Chicago-based criminal defence attorney and has been involved in many notable cases in the United States of America.

MORE READING!  Imo: Baby factory operators allegedly attack policemen

Hushpuppi was arrested by the Dubai authorities in a sting operation.

Together with his gang, the 37-year-old was alleged to have defrauded 1,926,400 people from different parts of the world and stolen about 1.6bn Dirham (N168bn).

The Dubai police later handed him over to the Federal Bureau of Investigation in the US, where he was arraigned on charges of conspiracy to commit money laundering, among others.

The FBI also alleged that Hushpuppi attempted to defraud an English Premier League football club of £100m (N48.4bn).

MORE READING!  Ill-health: Court adjourns trial of Ize-Iyamu, others, over alleged N700m fraud

Pissetzky told Forbes that the suspect was not guilty of the crimes.

“Absolutely not guilty of [the] charges they are accusing him of. (Abbas) was running a legitimate business and a very legitimate Instagram account and did not take part in any scam or fraud,” he said.

When contacted, Pissetzky also said that the suspect’s case would go before a jury.

MORE READING!  JUST IN: Umar emerges new EFCC boss, replaces Magu

He said:

“There is always a chance, absolutely. That’s why they hired me and that’s why I am going to put up vigorous defence and defend him. I will give him good representation. He has a chance. In the United States of America, you have a jury system.”

Asked if he would consider a plea bargain with the system to reduce Abbas’ sentence, Pissetzky said it was a discussion between him and his client.



Continue Reading


Diezani removed $70million from NNPC in 12 padlocked bags, witness says



A Federal High Court sitting in Lagos has heard that a former Minister of Petroleum Resources, Diezani Alison-Madueke in 2015 ordered the removal of $70million from the Nigerian National Petroleum Corporation (NNPC) in 12 padlocked bags.

A former NNPC official told Justice Muslim Hassan that he delivered the bags to an Abuja-based banker on Mrs Alison-Madueke’s instructions.

He testified that he and others “had a command-and-obey relationship and also took an oath of office to obey directives and authority.”

The ex-NNPC GM appeared as a prosecution witness in the trial of a former Executive Director of a first-generation bank, Dauda Lawal.

MORE READING!  Police nab four over alleged rape in Akwa Ibom

Lawal is being prosecuted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) for alleged money laundering of N928000000

The Commission accused Lawal of handling $25m out of a total of $153m, which Diezani allegedly doled out to influence the 2015 general elections.

The trial opened with the ex-NNPC GM appearing as the first prosecution witness.

Led in evidence by the EFCC prosecutor, Rotimi Oyedepo, the witness narrated how he delivered the cash-loaded bags to the Abuja banker, one Charles, in the front of Dume Supermarket in Abuja.

The witness said:

“My lord, as I can remember, shortly before the 2015 elections, it was the norm for heads of subsidiaries (of the NNPC) to be invited for an undisclosed briefing of activities of their departments to the minister.

“At the end of such briefings, the then Honourable Minister of Petroleum Resources, Mrs. Diezani Alison-Madueke, gave me a GSM number in respect of one Charles, whom I had never met, with a clear instruction that I should convey 12 padlocked bags to the said Charles.

“My lord, the source, the content, and the purpose of the bags were not disclosed to me.

“Thereafter, I called the said Charles, who equally confirmed to me that he had been briefed about the message. I delivered the bags to Charles.

“Much later, my lord, the EFCC invited me for interrogation on the issue and I made a statement to that effect.

“Charles equally confirmed at the EFCC that he received the 12 padlocked bags and the bags contained the sum of $70m.”

Under cross-examination by the defence counsel, Patrick Ikwueto (SAN), the witness said he had never met Lawal before.

MORE READING!  Man, 29, allegedly rapes mentally-challenged woman in Ekiti

Justice Hassan adjourned till 21, 22, and 23 of July for the continuation of trial.

Continue Reading